Aokigahara "inspired" Forest

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Aokigahara "inspired" Forest

Postby Wollibeebee » 29 May 2013, 03:46

This is a pretty grim topic, but considering we're allowed to be as dark as we want, I imagine it's suitable.

Aokigahara Forest is in Japan, and is known as the suicide forest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

I don't know nearly enough about religion in Tamriel, but I imagine one of the daedric gods could be responsible for the current status of the forest is some way. People could be "attracted" to it due to a shrine there, or just general omens or associations.

Quests could be associated with it - although I imagine most of them would be depressing - but it would mostly be a atmospheric sub-region. The forest would attract necromancers, and imperial patrols would often be in the forest removing bodies before anyone steals them. But the occasional skeleton would still remain, with moss covered fungi infected skeletons rising out of the flora besides the player.

it need only be 3-4 claims large, perhaps in a valley of some sort. I've already started making a hanging skeleton mesh (and I'll possible animate another so it can wriggle a bit.) Keep out signs and skulls on sticks would also be useful.

I want it so that the region is more spooky and sombre, rather than a hack-n-slash zombie dungeon crawl. I want it to be the type of place the player doesn't feel like visiting when told they have to travel there.

Anyway, if anyone is opposed to this, I'm fine with just forgetting about it, it's not a pleasant idea. :P

evercharmer
P:C Modder

Re: Aokigahara "inspired" Forest

Postby evercharmer » 29 May 2013, 04:59

It sounds like an interesting place to me, and I think there's something to having areas in a game that evoke darker emotions. I think it might be interesting if you could put dungeon music to the area as opposed to the normal explore music to help enhance that feel, or perhaps no music at all.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 29 May 2013, 05:09

evercharmer wrote:It sounds like an interesting place to me, and I think there's something to having areas in a game that evoke darker emotions. I think it might be interesting if you could put dungeon music to the area as opposed to the normal explore music to help enhance that feel, or perhaps no music at all.

It's possible to make music play with a script and MCP has an option to stop combat cutting it out, I think. So a blank music file could be used.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 May 2013, 17:54

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would forego any music at all in the region and make it completely silent. That would creep people out.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 May 2013, 20:06

Yeah, but then the forums would be inundated with people saying "omg teh musik doesnt wurk"
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 May 2013, 21:17

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Yeah, but then the forums would be inundated with people saying "omg teh musik doesnt wurk"

Anyone who couldnt figure out that the music would start right back up once they left the place is an idiot and we shouldnt cater to them. Alternatively, we could have really subdued music thats very low in volume.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 30 May 2013, 00:30

And a third idea would be to have spirit sounds and the occasional clicking of bones. Either with music or no music.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 May 2013, 02:29

Well I am not saying we shouldnt have sound effects, which we should, alot of them.(just like in the soul cave quest that I made)

As for creatures, do wraiths exist here? Because we could put in wraith mounds at night.

This would be a prime spot for skeletons that lay on the ground and then get up to attack. Didnt antares make something like this? Well either way, some sort of leaf cover mesh would be nice here.
And how large of an area are we talking anyway? I think we would have to choose carefully where we put this kinda of thing.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 May 2013, 03:07

Spiritual creatures like wraiths should be discussed after we come up with a reason for the region, I think.

I'm interested in using Antares animations, and a more moldy, moss covered retextured skeleton. Seeing as they've being decomposing in a jungle.

I'd like to see it along a road, perhaps near Hackdirt beneath Chorrol. I like to imagine that whatever is the cause of this spot (ie, the Aokigahara Forest is believed to be home to demons) it attracts them on their travels. I'd say around 2-3 claims is a good size, maybe too large.

Also, it doesn't actually have to go in the Great Forest.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 30 May 2013, 03:22

How about an old destroyed shrine to vaermina. Was destroyed by Imperial cultist In the early second era. And she hit the area with a curse that still resonates till this day. Most of the dead being poor souls who wandered in and killed themselves in mad desperation.

Claening up the shrine for vaermina so she would lift the curse could be the quest for that particular prince.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 May 2013, 04:39

Rattfink333 wrote:How about an old destroyed shrine to vaermina. Was destroyed by Imperial cultist In the early second era. And she hit the area with a curse that still resonates till this day. Most of the dead being poor souls who wandered in and killed themselves in mad desperation.

Claening up the shrine for vaermina so she would lift the curse could be the quest for that particular prince.

Sounds like a plan!

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 30 May 2013, 06:12

We already have a barrow mounds type area planned for the Colovian Highlands, so lets make sure this area is slightly more unique than wraiths everywhere and mounds.

Rattfink333's idea sounds solid.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 May 2013, 08:01

Agreed, With SamirA.

Is everyone happy with the location I proposed? Or is there somewhere better? (near Apenia the Ayleid ruin in the Blackwoods beneath Mir Corrup.)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 May 2013, 08:08

I would change the location since, as mentioned above, there is already a unique sub-region planned in the same area.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 May 2013, 08:16

SamirA wrote:I would change the location since, as mentioned above, there is already a unique sub-region planned in the same area.

Oh, where exactly is the Colovian Highland's Barrow region? I thought it was near the end, closest to Sutch.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 May 2013, 08:20

It is planned tentatively as more of a central area, but I mostly mean that two rather similar sub-region type areas do not need to be in the same region.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 May 2013, 08:26

SamirA wrote:It is planned tentatively as more of a central area, but I mostly mean that two rather similar sub-region type areas do not need to be in the same region.

Fair enough, don't want them to be too close. Although so far we intended this to be in the Great Forest region.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 May 2013, 08:30

Chorrol is like basically the border of the two though so that is a bit close. I do think it being in the GF makes the most sense though just some are in the forest that you enter are are like woah, creepy.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 May 2013, 16:45

SamirA wrote:We already have a barrow mounds type area planned for the Colovian Highlands, so lets make sure this area is slightly more unique than wraiths everywhere and mounds.

Rattfink333's idea sounds solid.

I meant wraith mounds that only appear at night(along with the wraith). They are basically piles/gravemarkers, not barrows. They would be a container and after defeating the wraith you could look inside and find treasure.

I find the best location for this to right off one of the roads and maybe 2-3 claims deep? I also think it should be kinda claustrophobic with only some large paths running through it, or at least something that will block line of site so you can only see like one cell max. This would give it a more mysterious feel.

Yes! Post #1250!

evercharmer
P:C Modder

Postby evercharmer » 31 May 2013, 06:06

Could be near Hackdirt.

Next

Return to Great Forest