The Great Forest references and description

ZackG
P:C Legend

The Great Forest references and description

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 18:15

Great Forest is the woodland region forming a C-shape north, west, and south of the region Heartlands, the border being roughly formed by the Red Ring Road. Jerall Mountains borders on the north, Colovian Highlands on the west, and West Weald on the south. It also shares a short border with Nibenay Basin on the east and Nibenay Valley on the south. The Orange Road slices across the northern portion of the region, with The Silver Road going up through the north, The Black Road going across the west, and both The Green Road and The Gold Road going down through the south.

Use this thread for conceptualizing the great forest.

ZackG

Re: The Great Forest references and description

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 18:16

I liked hte great forest in Oblivion, but I also didnt start playing until after I had all the UL mods installed so it was much more epic than intended. With our decision to go more jungle and the feedback I got from a thread I posted on the officials, I think the Great Forest should be much more a temperate rainforest. Alot of moss, ferns, dead trees leaning on thick brush, and tall, wet woodland.
Pictures-
http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/ ... t_5789.jpg
http://thundafunda.com/2/traveling-pict ... Alaska.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... tHiker.jpg

My Proposal-
Trees-Tall, various, more pines and whatnot up north and more deciduous in the south.
Flora-Same as oblivion
Rocks-Covered in moss near head to toe. The moss should have dots of orange and yellows in the northwest to blend in with the Hammerfell inspired Colovian Highlands and it should be thick green in the south to blend with the more temperate regions.
Ground-Dark black soil in the southeast and red in the northwest.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 27 Sep 2011, 19:56

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 27 Sep 2011, 21:13

That picture is magnificent. Furthermore, that's exactly how I imagine the Great Forest. Good find.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Sep 2011, 22:40

Scamp wrote:That picture is magnificent. Furthermore, that's exactly how I imagine the Great Forest. Good find.

Thats how I picture the forests in the south. The forests in the north, ie, the northern part of the Great Forest, is not what I picture as that. I picture the northern areas as deciduous with things like oak trees and such.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 27 Sep 2011, 23:36

Given how big the Great Forest is supposed to be, it might well have areas of both types.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 28 Sep 2011, 06:38

Jungle and pine forest should be far away from another, dedicious forest can border both, and pines are generally on higher ground than the other.

This said a jungle on higher altitudes is possible but only if the jungle is not an isolated patch in the middle of nowhere.

So it is reasonable and quite real to have jungle bordering water bodies and foothills, dedicious forest can border waterbodies at some areas and reach up to mountain ranges, pine forests on higher altitudes or also dry/stony areas.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Sep 2011, 18:00

Praedator wrote:Jungle and pine forest should be far away from another, dedicious forest can border both, and pines are generally on higher ground than the other.

This said a jungle on higher altitudes is possible but only if the jungle is not an isolated patch in the middle of nowhere.

So it is reasonable and quite real to have jungle bordering water bodies and foothills, dedicious forest can border waterbodies at some areas and reach up to mountain ranges, pine forests on higher altitudes or also dry/stony areas.

Yes, pine forests are higher up usually, but many forests have pine trees scattered about, at least around me.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 28 Sep 2011, 18:56

Tarius wrote:
Praedator wrote:Jungle and pine forest should be far away from another, dedicious forest can border both, and pines are generally on higher ground than the other.

Yes, pine forests are higher up usually, but many forests have pine trees scattered about, at least around me.

Indeed pine occurs everywhere (depending on the species) and mixes with dedicious forest in Europe and North America, but generally not pine forest, only here and there at least naturally.

Pine forest on plains even at sea level as in Netherlands are planted forests for industry, naturally those pines do not even originate from Netherlands.

Example: Wild Yellow pine (Pinus sylvestris) likes waterbodies and much rain (0m-500m), red pine (Pinus brutia) dry rocky areas (100m-1000m), black pine (Pinus nigra) high altitudes (800m-1600m) in Mediterrenean climate.

generally pines are more dominant on rocky areas, dedicious forest on sandy soil, and I can find an exemption on anything as nature tries to occupy every possible niche of life, called mutation.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 28 Sep 2011, 21:47

i'd like to see pinetrees heading north too,
*new zealand plug*
http://www.stanford.edu/~tkoos/Foggy%20Redwoods.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PPh3eCMBZwo/T ... fornia.jpg
http://redwoods.info/richard/24.HikingInRedwoods.jpg

thats still quite.. "jungle-ish" but also pine-y :P

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 29 Sep 2011, 12:32

Pine trees were actually not supposed to be in Middle Europe at all, and they haven't been before mankind moved them here too.

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 29 Sep 2011, 20:08

Those are Redwoods Wolli, not pines. Imo, redwoods, pines, and various European trees would look better out west or north, in the more mountainous regions of Cyrodiil.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Sep 2011, 01:22

and they're also called Sequoioideae and Sequoiadendron giganteum, not that it matters. ;L

ugh, not sure about going west, seeing as that's where the colovian highlands are and that place should be hammerfell-ish.

i just imagine them going north-west along the jerral mountains.

--that's just my opinion--

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 23 Feb 2014, 11:30

So is the Great Forest going to be Jungle or forest? I don't think it's a good idea to have both types in the same region. As it stands, in our map:

The Great Forest region to me seems to stretch way too far west. I move that the Great forest be pushed back east, making the border a straight-ish line from E-20 to M-20; and that the city of Chorrol be pushed west into the Colovian Highlands, since that region lacks a city anyway, and has a more apropriate climate IMO.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 23 Feb 2014, 11:51

MoonAndStar wrote:The Great Forest region to me seems to stretch way too far west. I move that the Great forest be pushed back east, making the border a straight-ish line from E-20 to M-20; and that the city of Chorrol be pushed west into the Colovian Highlands, since that region lacks a city anyway, and has a more apropriate climate IMO.

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier! I've considered starting a map thread, really need to get that going...

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 23 Feb 2014, 13:33

I don't agree. If you think Cyrodiil, you think jungle. If we move the GF border, we have less jungle and more... anything that's not mentioned in PGE and thus shouldn't take up that much space.

As for the CH not having a huge city, that's not an issue. I can see wilderness releases being fun to play, especially with the focus being on smaller towns and the barrows in the hills, which are a very significant cultural aspect. If we can't entertain people without cities, we might want to rethink our policies.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 23 Feb 2014, 14:04

I understand, but it's not like that would mean taking all that much jungle from Cyrodiil, just that small pointy bit thats poking into Colovia. The Great forest is still huge without it, and so is the NIbenay Basin, Nibenay Valley and Blackwood, which are all extensively jungled.

My issue isn't so much with the Highlands not having a city (I rather like the idea of it being more wild), but the fact that Chorrol, an eminently Colovian city, is in the jungle.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 23 Feb 2014, 15:42

Just because the city is in a region dominated by Jungle, doesn't mean it is in the jungle itself. Remember, we are adding in sub regions and things as well so that could be part of a transitional region where the Jungle is beginning or whatever.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Feb 2014, 18:06

I think the great forest should be deciduous at higher altitudes, not all jungle like you picture south america.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 23 Feb 2014, 18:17

Alright. I was thinking that that little pointy bit there could be made into the Aokigahara-type forest Wolli proposed. It would be appropriate since the creepy town of Hackdirt is also here. Layers of creepiness. The nearby Gottlesfont priory could be relocated here, be a place where a group of monks live that are dedicated to searching the forest and burying the dead they find in a crypt under the priory.

Edit: The shrine of Molag Bal is also nearby. It could be the reson for so many suicides.
Last edited by MoonAndStar on 23 Feb 2014, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Great Forest