Fort Linchal and Fort Hastel

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Fort Linchal and Fort Hastel

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Mar 2013, 01:15

Here's a per-emptive apology for any spelling or grammar mistakes: Sorry.

During the first era, when Colovia was separate from the Nibeney and it's Alessian empire, the threat of an invasion from Hammerfell and the Redguards was a big concern.
The Redguards had settled in Tamriel fairly recently in comparission to the Nedes, and had immediately begun destroying Colovian ships with their own. And whilst the sea had become a bloodbath the borders had reach a point where each opposing factions was ominously waiting for the day the opposite side make an advancement.
As the town of Sutch already had a large population of Redguards at this time and Anvil's military power was in it's navy which was already suffering, the estates of Kvatch and Skingrad (which were also busy protecting Colovia from the Alessian order) devised a strategy. As the Gold Coast was so un-defendable due to it's fairly flat terrain, the area below Kvatch would be heavily fortified by Sutch and Anvil, and to the east Skingrad and Chorrol would ease their fortifications towards the west, and solely defend against Nibeney.
But there was a a major floor in that strategy: a route through the Colovian Highlands offered access to the undefended space between Kvatch and Skingrad. The Colovians had already lost many soldiers at the western edge of the region (know as the barrow lands) and they knew the Redguards were more than capable of traversing the rough Highlands with it's steep mountains and low ravines.
The twin forts, Linchal and Hastel were constructed through the center of the area, encompassing the only routes accessible to an army.
Serving at one of the forts was seen as a great honour, worthy only of the best soldiers. Before long smaller outposts began to spring up, and by the time Reman the 1st ruled, the region was considered the most defend-able area in all of Tamriel – by the Cyrodiils, at least.
It was of course still important during the 2nd era, but by the 3rd era it – like many other forts in Cyrodiil – was now redundant in regards to it's military purpose. But, due to it's important symbolism for the Colovians, the forts were not entirely abandoned, and are still under orders from the empire to be in constant preparation for an invading army.
Now a the forts follow a different creed. Rather than attracting the bravest soldiers, they now sponge up the most worthless soldiers: common thieves and city rats that entered the army merely for the gold and were sent to the forts due to bad behavior. Patrols almost never happen due to the harsh terrain and goblins that inhabit the area. A point of authority still exists, but in the form of disgraced generals, rather than decorated.
The soldiers of the forts by the phrase “if they goblins don't torture you, and the terrain doesn't kill you, then your brothers in arms surely will.”
Disgraced soldiers are dotted around the destroyed outposts waiting for adventurers to wonder by, obliviously, only to be attacked for something as meaningless as a new sword.

So yeah, basically The Wall in A Song of Ice and Fire...

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Fort Linchal and Fort Hastel

Postby Tarius » 26 Mar 2013, 01:26

This might be the area of another mod, but restoring the forts to their former glory would be a kickass type of quest line.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 26 Mar 2013, 08:18

I like your ideas here. So these forts were built in the 1st era, you say? This should be mirrored by the models used here.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Mar 2013, 08:33

Worsas wrote:I like your ideas here. So these forts were built in the 1st era, you say? This should be mirrored by the models used here.

The fort tilesets are a bit odd, I think half of us would like to use different models for forts made in different eras, and some, like me, would just like to use a single tileset. I really don't want the 1st era ruins to look like new models obviously made 10 years after the vanilla box-fort pieces.

It's a cop out, but I'm a fan of intergration. Also, the forts were maintained during the 2nd era as well. So I'd prefer to have atmospheric differences than tilset differences. :uhhuh:

Return to Colovian Highlands