Town around a mine.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Town around a mine.

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 10 Aug 2011, 14:03

Close to the border with Hammerfell, a Redguard out hunting discovered gold. He discretely did a bit of digging and at first appearance the site seemed to be rich in gold. He found a wealthy backer, bought the land from the Countess of Chorrol and started a mine.

Soon rumours spread of the find and people flocked from all over the county to try to get rich quick. A shanty town built up around the mine and the Redguard found himself being overwhelmed. His patron hired guards to keep the illegal miners out. They started burning down the shacks but the Imperial Watch intervened and made them stop. An uneasy agreement came into effect between the people, who could stay as long as they worked for the Redguard and not for themselves, and the Redguard, who had to ensure they had enough food, water and adequate shelter.

Unfortunately the Redguard began to realise that there wasn't nearly as much gold as he first anticipated. He tried to keep this quiet, but the miners soon noticed that they weren't digging as much gold as they used to. The patron, who has poured a lot of money into the mine, is, for now, unawares but will eventually find out.

The Redguard himself has big debts, which he expected to pay back with the gold he mined. He is now caught between his legal obligations to look after the miners and his patron, who won't be happy when he hears that the gold has run out.

All in all, it's a volatile mix, with plenty of quest potentials.

Whadya think?
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Helena
Head of Quests

Re: Town around a mine.

Postby Helena » 10 Aug 2011, 14:34

I like the idea. What sort of quests do you have in mind?

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 10 Aug 2011, 15:33

A multiple sided small questline where you choose to back the people, the Redguard or the patron. The people want to be allowed to keep all the gold they mine and not have to hand it over to the Redguard. The patron wants to salvage as much as he can out of this mess. The Redguard just wants to escape with what little gold he can make off with.

The quests for the patron would be bullying rowdy miners and recovering stolen gold, eventually culminating in seizing the Redguard and extracting as much gold from him as possible before handing him over to the Watch for fraud. I haven't exact quest details for the other two sides yet, but would welcome suggestions.

The whole idea is that the town is badly managed and only held together by the promise of gold. When the gold runs out it dissolves into chaos.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 15 Aug 2011, 23:04

Sounds like a cool idea.
Project Coordinator

alex25
P:C Reviewer

Postby alex25 » 16 Aug 2011, 09:34

Nice idea.