Anvil Summary

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Anvil Summary

Postby Tarius » 08 Aug 2013, 06:44

Took a look at the chapel, needs work. I dont exactly like the style as its far too meditarrenean, but thats not a hindrance.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Aug 2013, 07:29

As a base starter model, I like it. Could use some more detail moving forward, but the idea is spot on. I agree with Scamp that the lighter pillars in the arches seem a bit redundant and I would be in favor of removing them. However, replacing them with something like, say, statues of Dibella... we might have something...
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 08 Aug 2013, 07:44

Not a fan of statues, I don't want this to consume Muspila's time nor do I want to have to wait even longer to finish Anvil (The Colovian Highlands and Sutch be'a calling.)

I agree the central pillar looks strange, and could just be the same as the others. But I wouldn't think about it twice ingame, whilst exploring the city.

It Mediterranean enough for me, and it fits in with the imperial meshes (because it uses parts of the imperial meshes) very well.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Aug 2013, 07:47

The thing with statues is they could be place there at any time later. Wouldn't impact you at all nor would it be something that had to be done, simply an option.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 08 Aug 2013, 12:11

Tarius wrote:Took a look at the chapel, needs work. I dont exactly like the style as its far too meditarrenean, but thats not a hindrance.

I'll only do any further work on this when meaningful improvements have been performed on the whole Anvil-Set. The set looks rather plain and odd the way it is. A lot could be done by painting shades on the texture or using vertex color.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 08 Aug 2013, 17:55

Worsas wrote:
Tarius wrote:Took a look at the chapel, needs work. I dont exactly like the style as its far too meditarrenean, but thats not a hindrance.

I'll only do any further work on this when meaningful improvements have been performed on the whole Anvil-Set. The set looks rather plain and odd the way it is. A lot could be done by painting shades on the texture or using vertex color.

I mostly meant working improving the use of polys, not look changes. The Anvil set was one of the first things I did. I add shading and all that to most stuff I make now.

Plain I will give you as thats to be expected with basic buildings. Odd though? Please share.
As for the textures, you know very well I cant do that(painting shades on the textures) because they get used in more than one way like most other textures.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 08 Aug 2013, 23:05

For a start, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 ... ldings.JPG
why don't the bottom platforms line up with one another in gridsnap? And even when I get them as physically close as possible, why do the wooden beams going through the middle not line up? And why is one of them yellow? Why does the first one have a red tint, and second one's top story have a yellow tint on top of the first floors red, and the 3rd has 2 floors of red, and then yellow.

Although, it's likely no one else has noticed, but I spend an hour or more looking at them a day. :P

Also, the textures look almost generated, with no contrast or burning or shading, and are yet some how repetitive like the UV map is too small.

/endrant/

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 08 Aug 2013, 23:19

Tarius wrote:
Worsas wrote:

I mostly meant working improving the use of polys, not look changes. The Anvil set was one of the first things I did. I add shading and all that to most stuff I make now.

Plain I will give you as thats to be expected with basic buildings. Odd though? Please share.
As for the textures, you know very well I cant do that(painting shades on the textures) because they get used in more than one way like most other textures.

I was upset since my work was put away with a single sentence, like nothing that's worth talking of. And no indication of what would be improvable, as if the whole work as such was simply bad.

With plain I'm not referring to the lack of windows or other features.It is the lack of visual contrasts on the textured surface. If looked at from a shadowed side it is a plain pabulum.
http://i.imgur.com/bOmdsq4.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 09 Aug 2013, 02:26

No, I was not meaning to sum up your work in one statement. There is nothing wrong with the building design despite my opinions on style. Of course if you have seen other posts of mine, plenty of people can atest to me always saying stuff about polys. The part needing work is basically tidying things up at least to use less. Otherwise, its not bad all that much because its a single use type building; you wont find Anvil chapels spread about the city.

And yes, I can understand the fact that its plain with what you are meaning it as. Partly done to save on poly counts and partly because adding detail takes more time. Although now that I think of it, I am wondering why I didnt add the occasional block poking out which is actually a good idea. Must ponder this more.
Anyway, please dont interpret what I say to have any implied meaning. You can bet I will say what I think.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 09 Aug 2013, 02:34

The bricks poking out is a good idea, specially for placing ivy along the walls, I hope you do it.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 09 Aug 2013, 08:43

I would use brown or gray vertex color at the edges of the vertical and horizontal beam elements and below the roof so you still have visible borders when there is no lighting or SSAO that creates a visible contrast.

The reason why I'm being a sensitive duchee again is that I've been modding my ass off since my free week started this monday. And I have slammed this chapel somewhere in between there modelling it over the course of probably 6-8 hours partly overnight to help Wolli to finally get onwards with this. And when I looked at this thread the next day I only got people complaining over this and that. I can't be arsed to strain myself for bystanders who throw out their critizism on any possible occasion.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 09 Aug 2013, 13:54

Hey hey, I said on the irc that is was beautiful work. It was just those two columns and those are minor issues, if they are issues at all.

Indeed there is no reason to bash Muspila or Tarius so hard. I guess we all got up on the wrong side of the bed...

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 10 Aug 2013, 22:27

I would like to apologize for my pissy behaviour above. Sometimes I lack distance from things like these and I cannot really judge and act objective.

I have made a version without pillars in the niches here. No further optimization yet but something you could stick with for now, since it is used only once in a location.

Cheers
Attachments
chapel.7z
(91.36 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Last edited by Worsas on 10 Aug 2013, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Aug 2013, 22:35

Will take a look later. Although I am sure its ok for use if it followed the original.

Previous

Return to Gold Coast