Kali Mes

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Kali Mes

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 10:46

Here is a sample of my Kali Mes concept. I hope to get a better image of it posted up soon.

Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Re: Kali Mes

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 10:47

I love that look. Wonderfully Hammerfellian. A few variations for those in different ranks and we can model it in the further months.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 04 Jan 2011, 10:53

I'm doing a bit of research to try to put together a book about the group, although I don't have any particular ideas at the moment besides the following:

-They got started in Hammerfell, and may have been relatively small until they set up shop in Sutch where they found they found work more effectively.

-There's a possibility that they occasionally work outside of Sutch, but do so primarily through middlemen and are especially careful to ensure that such activities cannot easily be linked back to them.

-They may also have some connections with the Dark Brotherhood for when they need to take care of someone who's left Sutch and they need taken care of.

-I'm wanting to try and use some real life inspirations to try and come up with the way the Kali Mes are organized, in-particular the Mafia. Here's a couple of articles I found on Wikipedia:

Sicilian Mafia

This is the ORIGINAL Mafia and could be a key influence since they're a little older (19th Century).

American Mafia

Might be a good article to look at as well.

Organized Crime

A general article and from here I might try taking a look at some other organisations as well, although apparently the Sicilian Mafia is the oldest one to be categorized as "Organized Crime".

I'd really like this to be a collaborative effort as I'm not sure whether I'm up to working out the whole thing, and it's nice for me to have people to bounce ideas off of anyway.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 16:29

I wrote this up in class today while bored of lecture.

Kali Mes - Crime Syndicate in Sutch with beginnings in Hammerfell. Almost entirely comprised of Redguards though a few Kajit and Imperials also may be found in their ranks. Operates solely in Sutch due to the city being in a state of limbo between the jurisdictions of the Empire and the officials in Hammerfell. The Kali Mes were forced out of other Hemmerfell cities by the incoming Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood sects who had more backing within the Empire and wanted the territory to be theirs. Since Sutch is in its own bubble world TG and DB sects can't get the backing to move into the area and the Kali Mes have taken advantage of this. By all accounts the Kali Mes run the city government from behind closed doors. The Kali Mes activities include smuggling items between Cyrodiil and Hammerfell thereby avoiding the taxes that would normally be levied. They also serve in the roles one would associate with the TG and DB, such as theft and murder for hire.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 04 Jan 2011, 16:30

Well, there's some interesting ideas there. Kinda goes against my idea that the Kali Mes may occasionally hire the Dark Brotherhood to take care of people who leave Sutch, although I suppose perhaps in most cases such people might not even be considered a threat since again even if they were to report to either Provinces law enforcements-what could they do about it?

I also think I need to refresh myself on what we were planning to do for Sutch's main quest-something about Vampires as I recall. I think the idea was that the Kali Mes pretty much run things about ground while the Vampires dwell in the sewers and catacombs. The Kali Mes want the vampires out so they can use the sewers to aide their smuggling operations. Plus there's the interplay between what the Kali Mes want and what the vampires want. It's also possible that the Kali Mes have been attempting to cut a deal with the Vampires, however with little success thus far.

I think a major thing we need to figure out about the Kali Mes is their structure. The Mafia articles might provide us with some ideas in that regard

DJGamer's Mod Projects

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 16:32

I support the Kali Mes hiring the Dark Brotherhood on occasion to assasinate certain people who leave Sutch. Outside of the city and into Cyrodiil the Kali Mes become powerless and if they tried their hand in assassinating where the Imperials pride themselves at keeping safe, the Imperials would have the motivation to remove the Kali Mes. The KM being a rather savvy group of men would rather hire a worthy adversary then allow the commoner to flee.

As far as structure, what about 5 bosses, each with two advisors, then each with three mouths, then each with five captains, who have two sergeants under them, with a random group of men split between good lowlifes and average lowlifes. The actual titles are up for imagination but the structure should be that like the mafia where those who deal with the politicans cant be tied to the street violence.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Jan 2011, 20:51

Here is an updated version of the Kali Mes concept.

Enjoy:
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 14 Jan 2011, 01:18

My colorized version:

I went with red since, well, it's my favorite color and it also had a Redguardian feel to it (mostly due to the fact that Redguard has the word "red" in it lol). The colors were sampled from various images and tweaked to my liking where applicable. It took me about a couple hours to do the whole thing.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Jan 2011, 01:23

I don't mind the red so much, but the purple should be the same color as the rest of the brown leather pieces.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 14 Jan 2011, 02:06

SamirA wrote:I don't mind the red so much, but the purple should be the same color as the rest of the brown leather pieces.

Adjusted the hue to lean more into reddish-brown territory.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 05 Feb 2011, 21:46

~Kali Mes "Family" Hierarchy~

-Positions-

Jumbe: Taken from a Swahili word for a boss, chief or leader. His function is fairly self-explanatory.

Onder Jumbe: Equivalent to an Underboss in the Sicilian Mafia, he is basically the second in command. "Onder" is taken from Arikaans, and it can also mean below, beneath, or underneath. The Swahili equivalent is "chini ya", but I didn't think a two-part word would sound as good.

Shauriaad: Equivalent to a Sicilian Consigliere, he is the advisor to the Jumbe. The name is taken from the Swahili and African words for "Advice" or "Counsel"-"shauri" (which for some reason can also mean design, diagram, plan, or plane-don't ask me why) and "raad". I felt the two words could easily be combined.

Bwanas & Askaris: Askaris are equivalent to "soliders" and Bwanas are equivalent to their leaders, known as caporegimes or capodecina. Askaris are smaller groups consisting of around ten people which are lead by a Bwana. "Bwana" is another Swahili word for "boss", but it can also mean "master"-since I couldn't find a better word I decided to use this one since it also fits. "Askari" is also Swahili and can also mean a "pawn".

Aansluits: Associates of the Kali Mes and not official members-these can include corrupt public officials and the like. The word is African and can also mean join, come together, or pool.

If we go by the Sicilian model, the bosses and Jumbe and Shauriaad would be elected yearly by the Askaris. Other info can be found in the relevant section of the Wikipedia Article. It's possible that in the Kali Mes their terms are longer, possibly permanent, or that the leader can be replaced if conquered in one-on-one combat or something like that. I think it's okay to adopt the Sicilian structure but not necessarily the same set of rules.

I'd imagine the guy in our concept art is an Askari and the Bwanas would wear something similar but a bit more ornate.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 05 Feb 2011, 22:35

Having the Mafia as inspiration sure is fine but I think it would be better to differentiate the Kali Mes from it a little. I think we can do better than having the Mafia with African names to cover it up. I personally suggest avoiding stuff like family and super strict hierarchy. The redguards are probably the TES race that despise hierarchy the most, they are free spirits of the sea and adventurers.

For example, instead of a true leader, they could have a few top ranking members, very respected people within the organization, who would make decisions together when they have to, but otherwise they would be very independent in their activities.
I am no salmon – Dagon

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 05 Feb 2011, 23:07

I think the "hierarchy" could also be loosened up a bit. Here's a basic idea I've come up with for how the Kali Mes operate:

• The Jumbe, Onder Jumbe and Shauriaad are basically the three main leaders of the Kali Mes.
  • the Jumbe is the main leader and makes all the major decisions for the clan-of course under the advisement of the Shauriaad and when applicable the Onder Jumbe.
  • The Shauriaad advises the Jumbe on the best course of action. He (sometimes she) has a duty to keep careful tabs on everything that's going on in Sutch-and is also usually the wisest of the three leaders. I think it would be interesting if the current Shauriaad actually were a woman-even if it is a tad cliche.
  • The Onder Jumbe manages most of the day-to-day decisions and is more directly in charge of the Bwanas and Askaris.
  • The Bwanas and Askaris act more-or-less as the "militia" of the Kali Mes.
  • The Bwanas act as commanders to the Askaris but also act as advisors to the Onder Jumbe, they also serve as a sort of "coucil" which can collectively vote old leaders out and new ones in within the limits of certain guidelines.
  • The Askaris are the lowest rank in the Kali Mes proper, but they're also the most important as they do most of the work for the clan. Most Askaris aspire to eventually become Bwamas.
  • Aansluits again are corrupt officials and various other people and there are even a few of them in other parts of Cyrodiil and Hammerfell helping to keep the Kali Mes appraised of things happening in both provinces. A few are also members of various guilds acting as spies.

Wow, had a spark of inspiration there. Thanks, Osidian! :lol:

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Feb 2011, 23:28

I did some research into the Yoku words we have available and I would change Aansluits to Tobr'a. This Yoku word means useless thus evil. I think that the Kali Mes would look at their non-member associates as worthless chaff that could be disregarded on a whim therefore they are useless. It is all about a superior view-point which I think is a good way to go. Plus it is an actual Yoku word.

Also there is Na-Totambu which is the Yoku word for ruler. If we combine the upper levels in a looser manner then we can use this word for our top grouping of members. I think the use of these actual Yoku words is the best way to go, though you are definitely using the right style of words for other words we may want to "create" as being Yoku. I really like Bwana and Askaris
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 05 Feb 2011, 23:51

The way I have it worked out, the Bwana are kind of a cross between the "ruling class" and "military officers". They rule in the sense that they choose the three leaders and collectively have the ability to remove any one of them if they don't like the way they're managing things.

I see the three leaders as being like the "Triforce" from Zelda:

The Na-Jumbe (possible incorporation of Yoku) would represent courage because he needs to make brave decisions for the benefit of the entire clan.

The Shauriaad would represent wisdom because she needs to ensure that the Na-Jumbe is making his decisions soundly and with full knowledge of what's going on. The Shauriaad may on occasion also be called to advise the Onder-Jumbe.

The onder-Jumbe represents power because he's in charge of the Bwanas and and Askaris, at least to some extent.

I'm not sure if that's the best analogy but the way I'm thinking about it there's a careful balance of power between the three "main leaders", the Bwanas and the Askaris.

Oh, and it might be possible for there to be multiple Shauriaads as well.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Feb 2011, 23:57

If you insist on using Jumbe and not adopting the Yoku Na-Totambu then the best combination would be Ra-Jumbe, ra meaning great in Yoku.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 06 Feb 2011, 00:06

SamirA wrote:If you insist on using Jumbe and not adopting the Yoku Na-Totambu then the best combination would be Ra-Jumbe, ra meaning great in
Yoku.

Yeah, I looked up all the words too and I remembered that standing out as something we could use. lol

I kinda want to avoid Na-Totambu since it's very historical and refers to something very specific. Ra-Jumbe will work though.

The general idea is that the Bwana are kind of like a ruling class insomuch that they are able to choose their own leaders-and usually the leaders are from amongst their own ranks although on rare occasions an Asakir might end up in a leadership position.

I'm thinking the current Ra-Jumbe and Shauriaad have been "in office" for some time and the Onder-Jumbe was only recently appointed after the former one made a number of unpopular decisions.

Edit: Reworking the "hierarchy" based on the recent ideas. Also changed "Aansluits" to "(Tobr'a) Aansluits"-the implication being that "Tobr'a" is a term that is used commonly amongst members of the clan-but "officially" (to their faces) they are referred to simply as Aaansluits, unless of course they do something particularly stupid. lol

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 06 Feb 2011, 00:18

Works for me. Aansluits should most definitely be changed though. Tobr'a is the way to go for those unofficial members.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 06 Feb 2011, 00:23

SamirA wrote:Works for me. Aansluits should most definitely be changed though. Tobr'a is the way to go for those unofficial members.

Damn, you posted just after I edited my last post to address that.

The idea I have is that when they're actually talking to the person directly, they refer to them as a "Aansluit", but internally they're often called Tobr'a Aansluits (Useless Associates)-Tobr'a is an adjective afterall so it'll only work when applied to a "noun". :lol:

And like I said if a Aansluit is being particularly useless an Kali Mes agent might just have a slight slip of the tongue while talking to them. :p

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 06 Feb 2011, 00:34

Still going to argue this. Yes it is technically an adjective but there are numerous cases where adjectives are used for something else, especially in languages apart from English, which is certainly what Yoku is. Aansluits is not a good word, you did fine on all your other words and they are perfectly acceptable as being absorbed as Yoku, but this word is unacceptable. Tobr'a is a legitimate Yoku word and works perfectly for an air of superiority being displayed by the ranking members of the Kali Mes.
Project Coordinator

Next

Return to Gold Coast