Anvil Layout

ZackG
P:C Legend

Re: Anvil Layout

Postby ZackG » 13 Mar 2012, 15:39

To be honest, Im not sure of the reeason for it, they are taken from this reference photo wolli postedthat we decided to do the walls from http://bukaratours.com/sites/galleries/ ... rovnik.jpg

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 13 Mar 2012, 15:55

I imagine they are windows as the walls are part of fortifications that would have had defenders inside. We could do without the holes.
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 13 Mar 2012, 15:58

I agree we could do withouut, but with the already simplistic style of the walls I fear that that will make them overly simplistic.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 13 Mar 2012, 18:10

I would vote against the holes, but

why not a band of other rocks horizontally, like limestone with brick?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 13 Mar 2012, 22:32

I agree, some other form of ornamentation would be good.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 13 Mar 2012, 23:01

The holes are obviously for cannons. If you look at the top of the wall, you will see they dont have much in the way of crenelations and not much room to stick cannons.

As for that wall, you need more defined areas, so I would suggest buttresses. If you just have a large flat surface like that, the texture repetition is far too noticable. If you look at the walls in Oblivion, you notice that they didnt just make them as large flat areas.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 13 Mar 2012, 23:16

Tarius wrote:The holes are obviously for cannons. If you look at the top of the wall, you will see they dont have much in the way of crenelations and not much room to stick cannons.

As for that wall, you need more defined areas, so I would suggest buttresses. If you just have a large flat surface like that, the texture repetition is far too noticable. If you look at the walls in Oblivion, you notice that they didnt just make them as large flat areas.

Maybe use the repetetiveness to a positive thing.

Imagine a two rows brick high marble, with a nice defined ornamental shape in between the rows, as a sort fresco out of stone.

Maybe in combination with butresses too...

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 14 Mar 2012, 01:26

I dont know how I feel about the buttresses. I understand the reasoning for substituting the windows for them, but the entire attractiveness of this wall is its smooth, straight, elegant pattern. We've planned on breaking them up, according to my talk with wolli, with towers so you wouldn't see a wall any longer than the model shown. Something else to substitute for the window should certainly be discussed, but also keeping in mind that that elegant look and feel is what we essentially want to capture. Perhaps a "buttress" that doesn't jut out, but instead segways two walls with the faux buttress being of marble?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Mar 2012, 02:19

I would need to see that in action to have any clue as to what you are speaking of zackg. Something does need to be designed for the wall though.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 18 Mar 2012, 05:25

i really like the simpleness of the walls, Zack summed it up "but the entire attractiveness of this wall is its smooth, straight, elegant pattern."

and those holes are defiantly for cannons (i hope :P ), keeping the cannon holes would be amazing. i've already mentioned pirates in my concept post and we have pirates on stirk, some form of defense for anvil is a must have.

perhaps, in order to make the walls more detailed, we could have some small "broken" patches on the wall from where cannon balls have hit them and the damagae wasn't great enough for a full repair.

perhaps we can use the cannon/damaged walls on certain areas (such as near the waterfront), and canon-window-less wall pieces for the rest of the city> we could just stick another pretty meshes where the cannons holes should be, nothing serious that would take up zackG's time, the walls will be covered in buildings and barely see-able, after all..
Last edited by Wollibeebee on 18 Mar 2012, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 09:38

If you place cannons, we will need broad walkways with stairs upto them at tha backside, so gunners can operate, also it should not be stairs but ramps so that the naval guns can be rolled up to the wall.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Mar 2012, 11:58

But TES doesn't have cannons...
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 12:38

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:But TES doesn't have cannons...

True, but maybe P:C does want to include them?

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Mar 2012, 12:39

I think including cannons would upset a lot of people who think it's lore-breaking.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 12:45

So why do the original walls have the holes? I thought they said cannons earlier.

As for me it wouldn't be lore breaking really. But my opinion on that should not be the rule :P

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Mar 2012, 15:34

Praedator wrote:True, but maybe P:C does want to include them?

No we are not including cannons :adminpower:

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 18 Mar 2012, 16:17

No, just no. Repetative texturing is not attractive.

As for the cannons, I meant the real picture, not the model that got made.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 17:48

I would just have a band of different textured/coloured stones, maybe even in a motif, and fitting to the general architecture.

It is a very roman way of making architecture attractive.

Lord Andres Indoril

Postby Lord Andres Indoril » 18 Mar 2012, 20:50

TES not having cannons? Hah. I seem to recall something about Sentinel being equipped with such fine weaponry.
Best wishes,
Lord Andres Indoril the Mad.

Lord Andres Indoril's Blogwoggofmoddywoddy.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 18 Mar 2012, 23:39

Lord Andres Indoril wrote:TES not having cannons? Hah. I seem to recall something about Sentinel being equipped with such fine weaponry.

my hero.

shut-up scamp, quit abusing your :adminpower: . :P

PreviousNext

Return to Gold Coast