Anvil Layout

ZackG
P:C Legend

Anvil Layout

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 10:20

Posted here will be the layout to Anvil, as drawn out by SamirA and discussed by the team.

ZackG

Re: Anvil Layout

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 10:22

A few things for the layout SamirA. Try not to look at Oblivion's layout too much. Beyond the very, very basics like the lighthouse location and the front gate and that there i a cathedral, be creative and imaginary.

Some thoughts of mine that I think would be cool to integrate if youd like.
1-Anvil being a little more "in the water" so to speak. As in open plazas with stairs that lead into shallow waters, etc
2-Moving the wall from keeping the city in but leaving the docks out to moving the wall beyond the docks. So the ships must pass a water wall to get into the docks, and then the player can walk from within the city straight into the docking area without having to pass through any huge wall.
3-Shacks for the fishermen and beach area for the really poor fishermen to just lay their boats on shore since they cant afford docking fees.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 10:24

Shacks were already to be employed. I think I will go with the same basic wall layout so that if you see the walls it will look like the Anvil you are used to, but then once inside the city will be far different. I like what you are suggesting about putting the docks inside of the walls and I think I'll extend them out on the seaward side to make that possible. In the end Anvil will be far different and larger than in Oblivion, but with all the present items still there and the initial impression looking at the main gates will seem the same.

SamirA Edit: I'm thinking of adding in two graveyards to the design of Anvil. One will be around the Cathedral as might be expected, but there will be one near the shack-town/poor dock district as well for those poorer residents who couldn't afford better plots. This area will need some run down looking and simple headstones.
Project Coordinator

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 04 Jan 2011, 10:25

One thing I think Anvil needs is large docks. In Oblivion it was too small for the city that, due to its position as the biggest coastal city in the west, should be a big trading route with western provinces and probably one of the most important imperial navy ports.
I am no salmon – Dagon

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 10:26

Agree with Osidian

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 10:27

I completely agree with you guys as well. Larger docks are a must.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 12 Feb 2012, 07:18

ok... before i start, i'm extremely tired, so if there's any typos i'll fix them tomorrow, but i don't want to lose my ideas over the night. :P

there needs to be a large harbour:
http://bukaratours.com/sites/galleries/ ... rovnik.jpg

that, should be directly attached to a small archway, which is under the Census and excise office. through this archway is a large market. This market would be the full of life and different cultures; Redguard merchants, suspicious Bosmer, Rich pirates (that obviously payed of the C&E office.?) Breton sailors and khajiits.
stalls, lots of stalls, a good amount of bosmer, imperial and redguard stalls, each selling different things from their home province. (of course there will be foreigners that aren't selling stuff from their province, like darkelves, seeing as this is a.. whats the word? port-town/city?).
then we should have a poor district, a small rich district with a bath-house/garden and a cathedral district with that graveyard SamirA mentioned.
and i'm keen for that second grave yard, perhaps just out side of the city walls, it'd look poor and dilapidated, but the newer graves would be covered in candles and flowers, giving personality to the place.

also, i want to try and make the city fairly thief-orientated, seeing as there's alot of pirates here, foreigners and a poor district. so i'm gonna see what i can come up with for the exteriors, such as ladders to roofs? wooden plants across buildings? i don't know, this is all just WIP. but wanted to write it down.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 12 Feb 2012, 07:44

And seeing as how the grey fox is from here.

As much as I would like in helping plan this, I am drawing blanks for ideas on how Anvil should look. On the up side, I do have an idea for a kickass jawdropping ayleid ruin layout. I will require water falls though.

Anyone around here play any city builders? I have, from Sim City to Caesar 3. I remember(and now copy) and interesing comment on Sim City 4:
Something I would love to see in real life is instead of having candidates for public office debate each other, set them down in front of computers, and have them prove their ability to successfully build a working city in SimCity 4. The only governing skill SimCity 4 doesn't simulate well is the ability to work with others. I think we should be very worried about any big city mayor who isn't able to demonstrate their abilities by being successful in SimCity 4.

Sorry for the off topic,..or mabe it is kinda on topic because it has to do with city planning. I would include a picture of one of my best here, but its late and I would have to actually go take it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 12 Feb 2012, 09:57

I have played a whole lot of City builders, from CIV, to Caesar, Pharaoh, Anno series and old sims.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 12 Feb 2012, 11:10

I love the screenshot Wolli posted. Anyway, Anvil is the city of Dibella, right? There should be something to reflect that - perhaps some public gardens or something?

I've played some of the SimCity games (not SC4 unfortunately), and other games like Civilisation with a city-building element. But I don't think I'd like to put my skills to the test designing a real city...

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 12 Feb 2012, 12:51

(SimCity is really off topic here)

Good call on Bosmer there, gotta have some more here as Valenwood is quite nearby. Make sure to make a huuuuuuge market.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 12 Feb 2012, 14:03

With lots of clutter :scamp:
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 12 Feb 2012, 14:12

clutter yummy :D

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 12 Feb 2012, 21:36

i really need to go read that last 3 pages of the stirk claim to understand this clutter joke. :P

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Feb 2012, 21:39

Haha, don't bother. Anvil should deffinately have some nice open air stores to go along with the typical store interiors. Gardens would also be a nice touch. We could really use statues of the Divines for Chapels and garden type things.
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 05 Mar 2012, 03:32

That screenshot is perfect wolli. From the red roofs to the white walls and ground, this is exactly the color scheme we should implement for Anvil. The simplicity of the walls there is both beautiful, easy, and romanesque.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 13 Mar 2012, 05:21

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 13 Mar 2012, 07:50

what are the holes in the wall for?

Lord Andres Indoril

Postby Lord Andres Indoril » 13 Mar 2012, 10:03

Quick assassin access. Duh. :P
Best wishes,
Lord Andres Indoril the Mad.

Lord Andres Indoril's Blogwoggofmoddywoddy.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 13 Mar 2012, 12:18

Praedator wrote:what are the holes in the wall for?

Arrows or chamber pots

Next

Return to Gold Coast