Gold Coast Settlements

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Gold Coast Settlements

Postby SamirA » 09 Jan 2014, 05:09

Probably correct Jiub. I will be opening up a master plan thread soon so that we can hammer out the direction we want to go with major themes and then break down more specific region planning from there so we can map out exactly what story and feel we want in Cyrodiil. This is a needed step so that we avoid mistakes of TR. We need to nail things down and move on with a logical plan without needing to go back and redo things.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 09 Jan 2014, 14:14

The problem with adding a lot of settlements in the northern Gold Coast is that it would look very awkward to have settlements being as close to one another as, say, Vos and Tel Vos, as the terrain is very flat and open. I was going to compensate this by adding more landscape used for agriculture in the so-far-not-yet-made areas of the Gold Coast.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 09 Jan 2014, 15:34

I'm definitely not proposing more villages there. This explanation would merely deepen the region's history, and explain a relatively low population.

There's a region along the Hammerfell border called the Imperial Reserve in Oblivion, which I find interesting in relation to this: there's no actual explanation as to what it means, but I'm guessing it falls directly under the Emperor's control (buffer between Colovia and the Redguard? favored hunting grounds?). The safe, cultivated lands around the cities in the south could be balanced out by wilder border regions in the north and west.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Jan 2014, 01:18

SamirA wrote:Not really, it was over a hundred years ago and the mostly wooden buildings could have been taken back by the earth if they were indeed destroyed and people moved to new places.

You mean all those stone colovian buildings?

Anyway, Imperial Reserve likely means its meant as wilderness border/buffer. Or perhaps one of the emperors just liked a private hunting area.

I thought most of what TR had to redo was the layout and textures/models?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 10 Jan 2014, 01:48

Tarius wrote:I thought most of what TR had to redo was the layout and textures/models?

There's also talk of changing the heavy Imperial presence in Telvanni lands, Firewatch and the like.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 10 Jan 2014, 02:47

Tarius wrote:
SamirA wrote:Not really, it was over a hundred years ago and the mostly wooden buildings could have been taken back by the earth if they were indeed destroyed and people moved to new places.

You mean all those stone colovian buildings?

Anyway, Imperial Reserve likely means its meant as wilderness border/buffer. Or perhaps one of the emperors just liked a private hunting area.

I thought most of what TR had to redo was the layout and textures/models?

You mean those buildings that were first seen in Colovia after Camoran Usurper destroyed the wooden ones? You can still see the remnants of how old Colovia was build in the towns across the region who have merely bricked up the lower floor.

It is that easy to explain whatever we want to explain.

TR is redoing basically the entire thing. Including their forums structure and modder structure. The whole thing is undergoing radical changes behind the scenes right now.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 11 Jan 2014, 00:08

A change from wood to stone practically overnight? I am not sure about that. Look at people today, when stuff happens, they rebuild the same way in the same place. It is dumb and does partially have to do with the insurence campanies, but there is elsewhere outside of the US this happens as well. Plus, things always seem to go from stone to wood, not the other way.

Well, it doesnt matter too much. Although maybe we should have a couple different ruined foundations to put everywhere?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 22 Feb 2014, 20:08

Since GC sounds like it will be somewhat of a wild frontier, could we have bandit small bandit settlements and more farmsteads and hunting cabins? I think the number of cave claims we have in this region is a bit unnatural due to it basically being a rocky prairie. We should try to come up with more inventive points of interest that r semi unique to the area which make sense for it geography and theme.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 22 Feb 2014, 23:12

Agriculture, yes. Hunting, depends on the area.

I don't think bandit settlements work. This is the heart of the Empire, the legion is patrolling on the roads and any large, open and clearly hostile settlements would be be attacked and extinguished. Small camps and cave hideouts work much better.

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 23 Feb 2014, 02:44

I meant the possibility of bandit settlements to be relatively small communities (maybe 2 or 3 huts) that would be very secluded, maybe in an exterior ravine, cave dwelling, or in dense brush. Could be more permanent than a camp, but obv not with the history of a real town. Maybe bringing up and existing for only a year or a season before relocating to evade the law.

I'm not exactly tied to the idea or pushing that we need to have them but they could be interesting. They wouldnt necessarily have to be immediately hostile either.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 23 Feb 2014, 11:53

The idea of bandit settlements/villages is good, but would fit better in another region: the Great Forest or the Imperial Reserve maybe.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 23 Feb 2014, 14:34

I posted an idea about a working mine run by bandits somewhere on the forum. They avoid tax and use slave labour to make whatever they produce cheaper than the legal alternatives.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

roerich

Postby roerich » 20 Aug 2014, 11:58

@ Fishing villages; I agree that having a multitude of Seyda Neen sized villages hug the Abecean in this relatively flat terrain would look bad, but having a number of villages (not all of which need to be named) consisting of 2-4 farm buildings and a pier would suffice. The usurpers blaze through the region killed off most of the population, but it would look weird to me if all fishermen lived in Anvil only. Someone must've taken up the great fishing spots in the 100 years or so.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 01 Nov 2014, 15:58

Further detailing for the two proposed fishing villages on the Gold Coast. Both lie in the Sutch release area, so they are not an immediate concern. Still, I'd like to prep them for dialogue reference, at the least. I'm not completely sold on the names, myself, so I'd love to hear it if anyone has better suggestions.

Thraswatch (N6)
A small fishing village north of Anvil. 5-6 houses, wooden docks and fishing boats, maybe a farm or two, tavern/tradehouse, boat transport to Anvil and Sep's Landing. 15-20 people. Compare to Hla Oad.

According to local myth, the village was once the site of a grand watchtower, guarding the coast against Sload raiders. When the Sload ceased being a threat, the tower was allowed to fall into ruin. Only a ring of eroded rubble remains today. The villagers are mostly poor fishermen, supplying the markets of Anvil and Brina Cross.

The village is policed by a couple of guardsmen from the Anvil. The actual feudal "owner" of the village is a dignitary in the administrative nobility, somewhere in Kvatch or the Imperial City. He is represented by a Secutor (a low-ranked Imperial clerk) who acts as administrator/major.

Sep's Landing (L6)
A small village directly west of Sutch. 4-5 houses, 2-3 warehouses, tavern, large docks, boat transport to Thraswatch, Anvil, and Sutch. 20-25 people. More industrial than Thraswatch, though some fishing happens here as well. Sep is the name of a Redguard merchant god.

A recent village, founded on the initiative of several Sutch merchants. Sep's Landing acts as a remote sea-port for Sutch, shipping and receiving goods from ships that can't thread the river. Mostly dock workers: Yoku-Imperials and Redguards from Sutch come here for a couple of seasons the earn a living. Also, a lot of poor Redguards immigrate here from Hammerfell, seeking their fortune in the affluent Imperial Province. Among them are also criminals and outlaws, crossing the border the escape local jurisdiction. The Kali Mes have a presence here, coordinating smuggling effort and recruiting members from the newcomers.

The village is policed by Anvil guardsmen. It was chartered by the Baron of Sutch, and administered by his representative in cooperation with several influential Sutch merchants. The representatives of the large Sutch merchant cooperatives are the real power here.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2014, 02:21

Why is Sep's landing policed by Anvil? I can understand Thraswatch, but Sep's landing doesn't make much sense falling under the Anvil umbrella.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 02 Nov 2014, 19:14

I thought we were going to have town guards police all villages within their counties? The way I think of it, even Sutch would have guards in Anvil livery. After all, it's part of Anvil county.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2014, 20:44

Sutch is more of a city though wouldn't you think? Not a town. Just happens to be that there are two cities in the GC.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 02 Nov 2014, 21:34

The way the town guard works is a bit hazy to me, to be honest. I think of the town guard as the local count's private army, which they finance themselves and use to maintain law and order in their lands (at least, the settled parts: roads and defense works would be property of the Empire itself, and manned by Legion soldiers). As such, the same guard would be active across the entire feudal domain, of which Sutch is a sub-part (at least, at the beginning of the game). The size of the settlement shouldn't matter, only its political/feudal designation (which is not the same thing). Sutch is a barony: now, we could make it so that barons can field their own guard, but this would mean a lot of extra work in the costume department (unless if we keep Sutch as the only barony around, which is all kinds of silly).

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Nov 2014, 01:34

Sutch is a weird situation all around because Bethesda cut it. It is a blank canvas to do with as we wish. I always looked at it as a city meaning it has its own guard, but we don't have to do that and we could make it a large town which would make things easier all around as far as number of ints etc.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 03 Nov 2014, 18:12

Infragris wrote:The way the town guard works is a bit hazy to me, to be honest. I think of the town guard as the local count's private army, which they finance themselves and use to maintain law and order in their lands (at least, the settled parts: roads and defense works would be property of the Empire itself, and manned by Legion soldiers). As such, the same guard would be active across the entire feudal domain, of which Sutch is a sub-part (at least, at the beginning of the game). The size of the settlement shouldn't matter, only its political/feudal designation (which is not the same thing). Sutch is a barony: now, we could make it so that barons can field their own guard, but this would mean a lot of extra work in the costume department (unless if we keep Sutch as the only barony around, which is all kinds of silly).

This is my understanding as well.

Sutch definitely shouldn't be the only barony- Mir Corrup would fit as a vassal state of Cheydinhal or Leyawiin, and there's Artemon from A Dance in Fire as well, which IIRC we have no specific plans for as of yet but we could stick in with Chorrol or Skingrad, perhaps...?

EDIT: Oop, and Sarchal and Delodiil as well, which are described as Western kingdoms in Remanada.

PreviousNext

Return to Gold Coast