Yoku: A Guide to Kali Mes Terminology

DJGamer
Mad God

Yoku: A Guide to Kali Mes Terminology

Postby DJGamer » 01 Sep 2011, 17:03

-Kali Mes Terminology Guide-

The terminology below is largely derived from a combination of Swahili and Afrikaans but in terms of Province: Cyrodiil lore it is all from the original Redguard language of Yoku. Since very little exists in terms of established Yoku words and phrases, this gives us a bit of freedom to invent the language, albeit obviously at the risk that a future Elder Scrolls game might vastly expand upon the language in such a way that contradicts what we've established. Fortunately I do not see that happening any time soon.

Note that the pronunciations are more or less of my own invention. The source for the original words, freedict.com, does not have a pronunciation guide. However, since we aren't trying to directly copy the words it may be better to use unique pronunciations anyway.

Kali Mes (Kal-ee Mez): Derived from Swahili for Sharp and Afrikaans for Knife.

Ra-Jumbei (Raw*-Jume-bay): Derived from Jumbe, Swahili for boss, chief or leader, the "ei" added to make it sound more interesting. The "Ra" is taken from official Yoku and means "great".

Onder-Jumbei (Oon-dar-Jume-bay): Again derived from Swhali for boss. "Onder" comes from Arikaans and obviously means "Under".

Shauriaad (Shay-ur-ee-aide): This word is derived from an amalgamation of the Swahili and Afrikaans words for "Adivce" or "Counsel". Shauri is Swahili, and for some reason it can also mean design, diagram, plan orplane (according to FreeDict.com-however the first two definitions listed are advice and counsel). "Raad" is from Afrikaans and has a similar meaning, only without the extra strange oens. I felt Shauri felt a little short and that combining the two words into one was relatively easy and had a nice look and sound to it.

Tatu-Jumbei (Tatoo-Jume-bay): Tatu is the Swahili word for "three", making them the "Three Bosses".

Bwanei (Bwahn-ay): Derived from Bwana, a Swahili word that can mean boss or master. The "ei" sound was added to emphasize how they are to some extent equals with the Tatu-Jumbei.

Askari (Ask-are-ee): Derived from Swahili for "pawn" or "solider".

Tobr'a (Taw-ber-uh*): Yoku for "useless and therefore evil". Original term was going to be Aansluits (Ayn-slew-its), which in Afrikaans can mean join, associate, come together or pool. After some discussion it was decided that Tobr'a would work better.

*Since these are lore-based words I should note that the accuracy of these pronunciations may not be accurate although it's questionable whether or not there's any established lore regarding their pronunciation.

Note that pronunciations and spelling are open to discussion to some extent but I don't see it as being a big enough deal to debate over. :scamp:

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Re: Yoku: A Guide to Kali Mes Terminology

Postby SGMonkey » 27 May 2013, 00:01

Any reason for this being under the Gold Coast section?

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 May 2013, 00:13

Other than the fact that the kali-things will be featured in Sutch, there is not. There's better forums.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 27 May 2013, 16:58

Wollibeebee wrote:Other than the fact that the kali-things will be featured in Sutch, there is not. There's better forums.

Not right now there aren't. Really not sure what to make of the decision to eliminate the city-specific forums. Granted, the way things are now I don't see there being many threads so it's not exactly cluttered I just preferred that little extra bit of organization.

This might fit better under the gold coast section of general quests-but only because it's a sub-forum of "Quests and Dialogue' and this would obviously relate to dialogue in-particular.

I could also create a new master thread for the Kali Mes in general. I think the current one may not have the most up-to-date info in the OP anyway.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 27 May 2013, 18:19

It was not an extra bit of organization. It was an excess in the morass that was our forum. Wolli is right.
Project Coordinator

Return to Gold Coast