Vampire Clans in Sutch?

DJGamer
Mad God

Vampire Clans in Sutch?

Postby DJGamer » 27 Jun 2011, 20:11

Earlier on in our project, there was some discussion regarding vampires living in Sutch's sewers. I've come up with a concept for a main clan and a smaller clan that would be involved in a side quest and be a reference to the Malkvavians from Vampire: The Masquerade.

Note that some of these ideas may have originally been Quixote's. It's been so long I can't recall if it is something brought up by someone else that he picked up on for his quest concepts or if they were entirely his invention. I think that as long as we are only building on a few elements of his ideas we may be fine-and I hope if we aren't he'll drop by and tell us as much. I only remember a couple details that I'd like to maybe use for this anyway.

First we have the Damundugu or blood brothers (based on Swahili Damu and Ndugu meaning blood and brother respectively). They live in Sutch's sewer systems and are presently at odds with the Kali Mes who want to use the sewers for their smuggling operations. There are also rumors that part of the sewer system connects to Rihad which could help the Kali Mes expand their operations somewhat while still maintaining some secrecy.

While the Dumundugu are wary of Cyrodiil's own clan, they believe the advantage of Cyrodiil having complete jurisdiction over Sutch to enforce the law and drive the Kali Mes out would far outweigh the risks. Also, Cyrodiil is somewhat more accepting of vampires in general than Hammerfell.

The Malpaka (Crazy Cats-derived from African "Mal" and Swahili "Paka") are a very small yet very unusual clan which worships Sheogorath and all have particularly demented minds. Of them, Jeanette, a blonde-haired Breton and owner of the club where the entire clan hangs out, is the only one lucid enough to carry on a somewhat comprehensible conversation. Their status as a proper clan is disputable-and the Dumundugu recognize them only as a small and relatively harmless group of outcasts. The Malpaka may give the player a little side-quest.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Vampire Clans in Sutch?

Postby Tarius » 27 Jun 2011, 20:18

I just posted the idea of vampires running/owning a place in the misc forum section at the exact same time you posted this.

The Malpaka (Crazy Cats-derived from African "Mal" and Swahili "Paka") are a very small yet very unusual clan which worships Sheogorath and all have particularly demented minds. Of them, Jeanette, a blonde-haired Breton and owner of the club where the entire clan hangs out, is the only one lucid enough to carry on a somewhat comprehensible conversation. Their status as a proper clan is disputable-and the Dumundugu recognize them only as a small and relatively harmless group of outcasts. The Malpaka may give the player a little side-quest.

The one thing I have a problem with here is that you have to be more then only "somewhat comprehensible" in order to run anything. If the clan hangs out in a club and is particularly demented, there is no way they would go unnoticed for very long before either the church or the mages guild gathered up force to go root them out. The only way you can have vampires hiding in plain sight like that is if they seem like normal people.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 27 Jun 2011, 20:24

There is only one clan in Cyrodiil. Either because they look more human and blend in or because they dont allow others in their territory I am unsure. I think it is the later. We could perhaps have a small clan attempting to gain land in cyrodiil but anything beyond one small clan simply makes no since with lore.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 27 Jun 2011, 20:44

SamirA wrote:There is only one clan in Cyrodiil. Either because they look more human and blend in or because they dont allow others in their territory I am unsure. I think it is the later. We could perhaps have a small clan attempting to gain land in cyrodiil but anything beyond one small clan simply makes no since with lore.

I have to admit that I'm not entirely up to snuff with Tamrielic vampire lore. I'm fairly insistent on having the Malpaka at least since they're the most fun concept.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it yet in this thread but given the idea that at present Sutch is both part of Cyrodiil and Hammerfell with a debate over whether it may become entirely part of one or the other it's quite possible that the Cyrodiil clan doesn't concern themselves with Sutch's vampires. They also live primarily underground in the sewers keeping a particularly low profile, traveling to the surface only when they need to feed-and perhaps keeping some cattle as well in order to avoid even that most of the time.

Tarius wrote:The one thing I have a problem with here is that you have to be more then only "somewhat comprehensible" in order to run anything. If the clan hangs out in a club and is particularly demented, there is no way they would go unnoticed for very long before either the church or the mages guild gathered up force to go root them out. The only way you can have vampires hiding in plain sight like that is if they seem like normal people.

I imagine the bar/club would potentially be located in the Sewer, or would certainly at least be connected to it. Jeanette is actually more than somewhat comprehensible-if we go a bit further with the Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines reference then her mental illness would primarily be
Spoiler: show
a split personality
, which I'm not sure about doing partly because it might be going too far into the reference and would be something of a spoiler to those who haven't played the game (although we could make it strictly implied with abrupt mood swings). Of course, they may not even get that it's a reference to her character in VTM Bloodlines until they actually reach the point where they find that out.

In a nutshell, out of the group Jeanette's particular mental condition leaves her more capable of running a business than the others.

We could also potentially convert the Damundugu into a group of Cyrodiilic vampires which would make sense to some degree because it would further explain their interests in having Sutch integrated into Cyrodiil. Plus we could directly explain how they don't consider the Malpaka to be an actual clan. Jeanette also maintains some level of control over the others in her "clan" to ensure they don't do anything too conspicuous or otherwise dangerous.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 27 Jun 2011, 21:11

Posting some of my research here:

Only one known tribe exists in Cyrodiil; they are experts of concealment, their true name lost in history. Much like the Imperials, they ousted their competition. Indistinguishable from the living if well-fed, these Cyrodiilic Vampires are cultured and more civilized than vampires of other provinces, using their stealthy abilities to feed on the sleeping and unaware. Calling themselves the Order, they have made Cyrodiil their home as of the Third Era, and in accordance with their strict tenets, these vampires follow the Daedric Princes Molag Bal and Clavicus Vile.

Note it's only one "known" tribe. Besides that, everything that's been said so far is relatively true according to UESP.

Clans normally consist of vampires of the same bloodline, or who share the same feeding grounds

The Damundugu, if we include them, would most likely share a bloodline.

The Malpaka on the other hand would be bound primarily by their shared madness.

I have a possible "origin story" wherein Sheogorath, as a prank on Molag Bal, cursed this small group of Vampires with his "gift". They may have stumbled into one of his shrines while on the run from vampire hunters.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 27 Jun 2011, 21:47

Why can't this crazy bar-owning vampire be a member of the Cyrodiilic clan (and thus able to hide among the living society). She just had trouble dealing with her "condition" and went nuts or, as other people would put it, she was touched by Sheo. Is there really need to complicate? :P Vampires are cursed enough as they are, does one clan need another curse in its shoulders?

We could still have a few vampires from a Hammerfellian clan around Sutch.
I am no salmon – Dagon

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Jun 2011, 21:50

and in accordance with their strict tenets, these vampires follow the Daedric Princes Molag Bal and Clavicus Vile.

If you are in possession of the Mask of Clavicus Vile, this should mean something to them...
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 27 Jun 2011, 21:58

Tarius wrote:
and in accordance with their strict tenets, these vampires follow the Daedric Princes Molag Bal and Clavicus Vile.

If you are in possession of the Mask of Clavicus Vile, this should mean something to them...

Some special dialog if the PC owns the Mask of Clavicus Vile would be interesting. It could even raise their disposition towards the PC and he might get some quests related to the Mask.

Anyone knows how easy/hard it is to implement a new vampire clan? At least implementing a clan that changes appearance based on feeding should be kinda hard ugh?
I am no salmon – Dagon

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 27 Jun 2011, 23:38

It's a convienient way of explaining how so many crazy vampires ended up forming into a group. Maybe three or four others with different shades of madness.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Return to Gold Coast