Gold Coast Visual Discussion Thread

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Gold Coast Visual Discussion Thread

Postby SamirA » 18 Dec 2010, 20:22

This thread is meant for the discussion of what the Gold Coast should look like in Province: Cyrodiil. All suggestions are welcome, but the Pocket Guide to the Empire should be the first thing you look to before submitting suggestions.

Here I'm compiling what I feel the Gold Coast should look like from the discussions on the old forums and with the PGE's references in mind.

The Gold Coast is the region of Cyrodiil that stretches from Anvil to the Brena River. It is the Western Coast of Cyrodiil and is in the Colovian lands as far as cultural influences go. It is a region full of Pirates much like the Caribbean in the real world was during the 17th and 18th centuries. Using this and the descriptions of the region from the PGE, as well as what we saw in Oblivion (mostly color-wise, yellow and orange grasses), this is what I feel the Gold Coast's environment should look like.

So, my proposal for the Gold Coast-

Trees- Along the coast you should see some palms, perhaps coconut palms.
these should be the largest vegetation for some distance before you move into the interior a bit where several types of tropical deciduous trees should take over. These deciduous trees should be somewhat similar to baobab trees and African tulip trees, with the smaller of these types becoming more tightly packed as you move further inland.

Rocks- Dark gray granites in the south and east and tan sandstones in the northwest. Anything lighter than gray and it looks like a savanna and the tan in the north adds to the Colovian Highlands and the Hammerfell Province.

Plants- Same as Oblivion with the addition of some taller dry grasses near the coast and some more unique arid plants.

Ground- Mostly sandy, becoming more and more dirt-like the further back you go.
Project Coordinator

Osidian
P:C Modder

Re: Gold Coast Visual Discussion Thread

Postby Osidian » 22 Dec 2010, 15:17

Ok, just throwing some ideas for discussion.

I kind of see the Gold Coast as a Mediterranean-like coast, but with those yellow and orange tones as seen in Oblivion (it is the Gold Coast after all, so these warm colours are a must I guess. And they looked nice in Oblivion's Gold Coast).
Pictures:

This kind of area also seems to me as very suitable for pirates, with a lot of hideouts along this coast with lots of cliffs.
I just don't know if this will fit with Samir's idea of palm trees, probably not.

One thing we should consider is the size of the region. This is a pretty big coastline, and it should have variations within itself, to avoid being repetitive. For example, the Mediterranean inspired coast would fit well to the north bordering Hammerfell, while the coast to the south would get more tropical and Caribbean-like as we get closer to Valenwood.
I am no salmon – Dagon

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Dec 2010, 20:06

The palms are ZackG's original idea, but I do like the possible variation we could do with our coastline. A more rocky cliff-like area to the north that comes down a bit in the south and gives way to more of the palms. I agree that a mediterranean look would be nice given that the Colovians are based off of mediterranean peoples in style. As long as the region sticks with the Oblivion colors and has a mostly deciduous tree style as the PGE suggests then the rest still has room for tweaking in my book. I would like to hear more input here as we are getting near to where we need to think about these types of things as it will be our next region.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 19 Jul 2011, 21:14

Here are a couple of ideas for some coastal exterior caves that could be found along the cliffier parts of the Gold Coast.

http://focus.tracinglight.com/images/20 ... tunnel.jpg

http://www.computerfreewallpapers.com/b ... 00x120.jpg
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Sep 2013, 21:59

Some deviantart gold that pretty much resembles what I thought we could do with canyons around Sutch and the northwestern Gold Coast:

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 17 Sep 2013, 02:58

Seems a bit overdone. I dont think thats for the gold coast, but maybe further inland.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Sep 2013, 03:07

The canyon features themselves are pretty much what I envisioned, but that is too lush in general. Needs to be more arid for Sutch and other GC locales. I would love to see some lush canyons like this in our more jungled regions though.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 17 Sep 2013, 10:43

The layout, yes.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 17 Sep 2013, 15:53

Yes, the layout.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Sep 2013, 16:45

The layout? Yes. :nyansheo:
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 17 Sep 2013, 18:40

You all didnt go get inducted into an alien hive did you?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Sep 2013, 18:43

The hive is us
Project Coordinator

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 15 Feb 2014, 00:58

Return to Gold Coast