The Chapel of Kynareth

Osidian
P:C Modder

The Chapel of Kynareth

Postby Osidian » 23 Apr 2011, 19:51

Kynareth, the Goddess of Air, is the only deity of the Nine Divines who didn't have a chapel dedicated to her in TES4. Even her shrine in the Great Forest was only added later by the Knights of the Nine plug-in.

She is the deity of the heavens, the winds, the elements, and the unseen spirits of the air. She's known as the patron of sailors and travelers and her priests consider themselves the greatest physicians in Tamriel. She's also associated with the rain and her nordic aspect, Kyne, is credited with teaching the Nords the use of Thu'um.

Anyway, why am I posting this here? Considering that in TES4 she was the only of the Divines without a chapel, and that Sutch was the city scrapped from the final release, it's almost certain that the Chapel of Kynareth was supposed to be located in Sutch. And when you think about it, she being the patron of sailors and travelers actually fits very well with the Redguard/Hammerfellian culture, the best sailors and the lone adventurers of Tamriel.

So, our Chapel of Kynareth should be in Sutch, right?

"Come to me, KYNARETH, for without you, I might not know the mysteries of the world, and so blind and in error, I might consume and profane the abundance of your beautiful treasures."
in A Pocket Guide to the Empire and its environs, 3rd Edition

Some information on her from TIL:
http://www.imperial-library.info/conten ... s-kynareth
I am no salmon – Dagon

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Re: The Chapel of Kynareth

Postby Scamp » 23 Apr 2011, 23:34

Yes, I agree. Didn't even notice before there was no chapel dedicated to her in TES IV...

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Apr 2011, 07:21

Ok, mabe I missed something, but why not in Stirk?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 24 Apr 2011, 13:15

Hmm... That would work too, she's the patron of sailors after all. Thinking about it, that would be even better than Sutch, yes.

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 24 Apr 2011, 21:27

Stirk could fit too, but it is supposed to be a smaller town. Sutch, on the other hand, will be as big as Anvil/Kvatch/Bruma/etc, I think.
I am no salmon – Dagon

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 24 Apr 2011, 21:42

i think Kvatch makes more sense. there's a danger of over-doing it in Stirk, considering that the current concept is for it to be a smallish fishing village.

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 24 Apr 2011, 21:52

I'm not sure if you intended to say Sutch instead of Kvatch, but in Oblivion, Kvatch had the Chapel of Akatosh.
I am no salmon – Dagon

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 25 Apr 2011, 00:17

I doubt he meant Kvatch, that would indeed make zero sense.

I agree, Sutch is probably better then. Actually, we shouldn't fill Stirk with too much extravagant stuff just because it's the first release.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 25 Apr 2011, 01:20

Stirk will have a chapel though it was going to be a small one not dedicated to any god. I had forgotten about this issue though. The problem with putting the chapel in Sutch is that it would mean that the chapel is in Hammerfell and not Cyrodiil. What we could do is put the official chapel in Stirk and say that the old church has been newly dedicated and will be added on to (we can show signs of construction) since the old chapel had been annexed by Hammerfell. Then we can take the old Kynareth chapel in Sutch and have the redgaurds changing it over to some other sort of holy place. Just an idea but an interesting one that wouldn't make us need to have a huge chapel in Stirk yet Cyrodiil proper still has a chapel to all of the divines.
Project Coordinator

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 25 Apr 2011, 02:13

whoops, yeah i meant Sutch. that's what i get for posting on forums before i've properly caffeinated myself.

alex25
P:C Reviewer

Postby alex25 » 26 Apr 2011, 16:09

Was Sutch in Hammerfell in the time of MW? I never did managed to find the date of the annexation.

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 26 Apr 2011, 19:56

I'm not sure if Sutch was ever mentioned in Morrowind. IIRC, Sutch was present in the map that came with Redguard, a little north of Anvil, and it was also present in a preview screenshot of Oblivion (it was seen in the ingame map) but the city was later removed, probably due to the lack of time to work on it before the planed release date. In Oblivion, I think it was only mentioned in one book as being in Hammerfell.

The annexation story is not official, it's more like our explanation for Bethesda's retcon. So, although there's no annexation date, in Province: Cyrodiil we consider it's after (or during) the events of Morrowind.
I am no salmon – Dagon

alex25

Postby alex25 » 27 Apr 2011, 05:29

so since we are building sutch why not build the chapel there? It seems by far the most logical place.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Apr 2011, 07:31

Because Sutch is in Hammerfell. This is not a hard concept to understand. Sutch has been annexed by Hammerfell and that leaves a divine with no chapel. The former chapel will be in Sutch. The chapel in Stirk can be the newly dedicated chapel to Kynareth. This means the Chapel in Sutch will be bigger and seem like a proper chapel while the one in Stirk will seem small, but OFFICIALLY the chapel in Stirk is the Cyrodiil Chapel of Kynareth.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 27 Apr 2011, 12:27

Sounds like a good idea.

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 27 Apr 2011, 17:05

Wait, at the time of Province:Cyrodiil, will Sutch be 'Hammerfellian' territory?
I am no salmon – Dagon

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 27 Apr 2011, 19:34

Osidian wrote:Wait, at the time of Province:Cyrodiil, will Sutch be 'Hammerfellian' territory?

nope. at least according to the original plan it will be "released" to Hammerfell following the events of the main Sutch questlines.

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 27 Apr 2011, 19:37

speaking of which, i've decided that i'll offer up all of the quests i had written for P:C if you guys still want them. the only stipulation is that i'm allowed creative control and final say if whoever eventually takes them on tries to butcher them to incoherent little bits.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Apr 2011, 20:18

Yes that sounds good Quix. Thank you.

What Quix said about Sutch is true, so again the chapel in sutch is big and the one in Stirk small. I guess I should have made it clear that this was a transitional thing. Basically I guess you could play basically the entire mod with Sutch in Cyrodiil and the chapel of Kynareth being in Sutch. At the same time you could play the whole thing with the chapel being moved to Stirk after Sutch changes hands. Does this make sense? In essence there are two Chapels to Kynareth. One at the beginning and one in the end. When this changes is up to the PC. What We will do is basically move the Priests from Sutch to Stirk and script some construction stuff to appear at the small Chapel on Stirk. The priests on Stirk will then either be moved to the main Imp cult place in the IC or perhaps stay in Stirk in a smaller role. The Chapel in Sutch will then get new Redguard dudes there who practice ansei worship or something. Those details still need to be worked out but basically we dont want to leave Cyrodiil missing a chapel to a divine at any time. This is a fluid thing. But what I am saying id the official chapel to kynareth at the end of the mod is in Stirk.

Now quit asking complicated questions! Haha :P
The simple answer is Yes...and No.
Project Coordinator

alex25

Postby alex25 » 28 Apr 2011, 06:14

Now these things make sense. The redguards may also be quite interesting.

Next

Return to Gold Coast