Release Area : Anvil

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2014, 19:34

I open this to have a place where everything regarding the release of Anvil and all the needed steps to get there, can be talked about.

As far as I can tell two things need to happen next:

1. Complete the exterior. (In detailing phase now, waiting on few minor assets)
2. Decide how much of the GC exterior is to be included in this release.
3. Complete interiors
4. Plan the NPCs.
5. Discuss story ideas

The following things need to be done within PC_Data: (As far as I can tell these still need addressing)
- Colovian and Nibenese Race removed.
- Armors need to be given Stats
- All clothing and faces need to be added.
- The Lamia needs to be reviewed and added.
- All involved plants should get their collision fixed.
- Empty containers need to be filled. This is the actually involving task.

Regarding the NPCing, do we want to do like we did with Stirk and have people submit ideas about the residents?

This post will be updated as more information comes into play.
Project Coordinator

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Re: Release Area : Anvil

Postby Praedator » 31 Jul 2014, 19:44

I need some time and assets, I posted in the asset request thread. Its a manner of weeks I think.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 31 Jul 2014, 22:26

Here's a map for reference into drawing limits to the release area:

I think i shouls go to Gweden farm (farm or town?) to the east, and up the coast enough to the north for there to be a settlement

Regarding NPC planning, perhaps a list should be made of the most essential NPCs in Anvil (guild bosses, nobles, politicians, influential citizens..) from which a character can be developed, but we shouldn't worry about making a complex backstory for every last pauper, as I think we can trust whoever makes an interior to give a certain personality to the inhabitants that the NPCer can deduce.

We have to search through quest idea threads for ones involving Anvil, as I'm certain there are already some

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Jul 2014, 23:07

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66513850/Gold%20Coast%20%28claims%29.png

We could include relatively much of the finished exterior landmass to the east, because the major bulk of work will still be the interiors and NPCs in Anvil. Maybe Scamp can propose something, as he probably has the best idea of the landmarks and where a cut would make sense.

On the other hand, if the additional wilderness takes away from the focus on Anvil, we could decide to only include the city itself and the river surrounded area immediately around the city. This would maybe allow the planning and execution to be more compact, if you know what I mean.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 31 Jul 2014, 23:14

you're right, I didn't really think that through. I forgot about the river, that is a good idea. But I still think there should be at least one other settlement, even if it's just a village.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Jul 2014, 23:21

There are two things that could maybe get addressed in the exterior claim thread aswell, but I'll post them here now:

- Does an imperial cult shrine make sense?
- How much fishing industry should be shown in the city? Right now trade and military seem to dominate the scenery.

you're right, I didn't really think that through. I forgot about the river, that is a good idea. But I still think there should be at least one other settlement, even if it's just a village.

A coastal fisher village would be rather cool.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 01 Aug 2014, 00:01

Worsas wrote:There are two things that could maybe get addressed in the exterior claim thread aswell, but I'll post them here now:

- Does an imperial cult shrine make sense?
- How much fishing industry should be shown in the city? Right now trade and military seem to dominate the scenery.

A coastal fisher village would be rather cool.

I'm not sure what you mean by an Imperial Cult shrine? There appear to be wayshrines to Akatosh and Mara in the finished claim. Other than that, little wayshrines, chapels and remote sanctuaries could be nice: the Order of Kynareth is based in Sutch, so some sacred grove-type places around there would be appropriate.

I'm going to plug this again: among other things, I proposed a small, impoverished fishing village built around the remains of a First-Era watchtower. Working title: Thraswatch. Maybe in the northwestern area above Anvil?

EDIT: say, do we have the assets for those Runestones (Lady Stone, Jode Stone)?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Aug 2014, 00:57

I don't think we ever did get runestones made.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 01 Aug 2014, 01:05

Wolli was the one who was working on them, iirc.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 01 Aug 2014, 01:32

Worsas wrote:We could include relatively much of the finished exterior landmass to the east, because the major bulk of work will still be the interiors and NPCs in Anvil. Maybe Scamp can propose something, as he probably has the best idea of the landmarks and where a cut would make sense.

On the other hand, if the additional wilderness takes away from the focus on Anvil, we could decide to only include the city itself and the river surrounded area immediately around the city. This would maybe allow the planning and execution to be more compact, if you know what I mean.

According to the original plan, the Anvil release would include all currently finished exterior claims and a few I haven't worked on yet.

However, rethinking this gives me the idea that indeed releasing Anvil as a compact standalone area (which ultimately means cutting the area off along the course of the river) would give us the opportunity to release all the other areas that don't belong to the Sutch-Release as another seperate update later, focusing on Brina Cross as the major occupied landmark.

I'm fine with either.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Aug 2014, 01:35

So focus on City development and then release the rest of the region later? Sort of sounds like Sasquatch's plan haha, though clearly not quite to the extent of only building cities and never doing wilderness until they are done which is insanity.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 01 Aug 2014, 05:33

As far as NPCing, we have one distinct advantage over Stirk in that about 60-70 NPCs are already made for us: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Anvil_People

As far as factions/quests: The Sirens gang should make an appearance, as well as the East Empire Company since their shipping map in Skyrim shows that they make port at Anvil and even have a trade route that's specifically contained to Summerset, Valenwood, Hammerfell, and western Cyrodiil. The other idea I had for a chartered merchant's guild was the Abecean Trading Company, which runs a deep sea fishing operation out of Anvil.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Aug 2014, 05:39

I don't know why I forgot about the Oblivion NPC's. It has been too long since I have been able to focus on this project I'm missing the basic info that I used to have down pat.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 01 Aug 2014, 08:39

Infragris wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by an Imperial Cult shrine? There appear to be wayshrines to Akatosh and Mara in the finished claim. Other than that, little wayshrines, chapels and remote sanctuaries could be nice: the Order of Kynareth is based in Sutch, so some sacred grove-type places around there would be appropriate.

I'm going to plug this again: among other things, I proposed a small, impoverished fishing village built around the remains of a First-Era watchtower. Working title: Thraswatch. Maybe in the northwestern area above Anvil?

EDIT: say, do we have the assets for those Runestones (Lady Stone, Jode Stone)?

With imperial cult shrine, I mean the one on this desgnation map of Praedator:
download/file.php?id=605&mode=view

If something makes no sense, it would be better to let Praedator know now rather than later. I don't know if this little IC base could work as a location from where missionaries are sent out to world via the ships of Anvil or if it makes no sense at all, as the imperial cult would be presumably seen outside of Cyrodiil?

I actually remembered that proposal of a fisher village, I only didn't know anymore from where it was, so just threw it in without much additional reference.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 01 Aug 2014, 08:49

On that map is a "guild" of IC at 22, and a shrine at 85 for IC. At the guild you get quests and has trainers/merchants, at the shrine you can pray and it is meant to serve the imperial sailors, to pray for luck during theis sea endavours. The Shrine could be for Kynareth as that god happenes to be in Anvil too, I read somewhere. If you guys don't want these please inform me so I can clutter accordingly.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 01 Aug 2014, 10:39

It makes perfect sense to have little chapels dedicated to other Divines where they could be useful. We could even have another one dedicated to Zenithar around the harbor.
Some random things:
  • The Mayor's Manor: not sure if anything has been discussed about him yet - what is his political relation to the countess?
  • The classy brothel should imply a strong connection to the Dibellan Temple - upper-class prostitution happens under the auspices of Dibella, and is a main source of her Order's income. This should also affect the style of this brothel: it's not just prostitution, it's a sacred activity. The same thing does not apply to the poor brothel, however.
  • Knights of the Lily Lodge: the knightly order of Dibella should have a lodge somewhere. It might be an interesting idea to put these outside of the city's walls, like a country club or something. They're supposed to have an aristocratic air.
  • Mages Guild Warehouse, Fighters Guild warehouse: what do they store here?

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 01 Aug 2014, 10:48

Infragris wrote:It makes perfect sense to have little chapels dedicated to other Divines where they could be useful. We could even have another one dedicated to Zenithar around the harbor.
Some random things:
  • The Mayor's Manor: not sure if anything has been discussed about him yet - what is his political relation to the countess?
  • The classy brothel should imply a strong connection to the Dibellan Temple - upper-class prostitution happens under the auspices of Dibella, and is a main source of her Order's income. This should also affect the style of this brothel: it's not just prostitution, it's a sacred activity. The same thing does not apply to the poor brothel, however.
  • Knights of the Lily Lodge: the knightly order of Dibella should have a lodge somewhere. It might be an interesting idea to put these outside of the city's walls, like a country club or something. They're supposed to have an aristocratic air.
  • Mages Guild Warehouse, Fighters Guild warehouse: what do they store here?

- We should choose between Zenithar and Kynareth as I have no suitable interiors for both.
- I called it Mayor's Manor, but should be the Countess' Manor
- This connection to Dibella can be solved in the interior, I will see if I can make hints to Dibella on the outside. This int also has a seclusive entry at the back, for more private customers.
- I will see to it that we get a shell for this Lodge.
- As Anvil is the main gate to exotic products, so I have added those, but if better ideas for warehouses come up I am happy to alter them. A trading company of sorts would be good, but I am no lore monkey so didn't know how to name them. We could use them as emmisaries for Black Marsh/Elsewyr or other provinces.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 01 Aug 2014, 12:03

Redguard and Breton merchants might have their warehouses here - especially the Redguard as this can play into the tensions with Sutch. For trading companies: Colovian Traders, a company based in Skingrad focused on fur, cheese and wine, and the Silk Weaver's Guild, a Nibenese organization dedicated to silk (one of the Empire's most important exports). Also, Saint_Jiub's Abecean Trading Company.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 01 Aug 2014, 12:04

Praedator wrote:
- I called it Mayor's Manor, but should be the Countess' Manor

Does the countess need a manor in the city? wouldn't the castle suffice?

I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly promote my idea of having a "Chief Magistrate" that responds to central imperial authority in each county seat. This could be his manor! :P

EDIT: Also regarding NPC's, it may be a good idea to come up with a demographic chart, to establish beforehand the racial makeup of the city.

I'd say something like 55% Imperials, 20% Redguards, 15% Bosmer, then everything else in the remaining 10%

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 01 Aug 2014, 12:26

Infragris wrote:Redguard and Breton merchants might have their warehouses here - especially the Redguard as this can play into the tensions with Sutch. For trading companies: Colovian Traders, a company based in Skingrad focused on fur, cheese and wine, and the Silk Weaver's Guild, a Nibenese organization dedicated to silk (one of the Empire's most important exports). Also, Saint_Jiub's Abecean Trading Company.

OK
1. Hammerfellian (Redguard) Trading Warehouse - Fighter Guild Warehouse (49)
2. Abacean Trading Company - Mages Guild Warehouse (45)
3. Bretonian Trading Warehouse - Provincial Trade Warehouse (48)

I might add Silk Weaver's Guild on a new location.

Deities
4. Shrine of Kynareth - (85) small interior with tower as apsis for altar
5. Temple of Dibella - (1) with garden of Dibella (Main deity)
6. Zenithar, want to make a small open air shrine with offeringaltar, with the symbol of Zenithar (Anvil) as activator. Located in the docks district.

MoonAndStar wrote:Does the countess need a manor in the city? wouldn't the castle suffice?

I'm going to go ahead and shamelessly promote my idea of having a "Chief Magistrate" that responds to central imperial authority in each county seat. This could be his manor! :P

The Manor is intended for the person with the most stature in Anvil, whatever name and rank might be. Its a large as a palace really, and next to Temple of Dibella.
Last edited by Praedator on 01 Aug 2014, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Gold Coast