Gold Coast Interiors

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Gold Coast Interiors

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 17:10

As you may have noticed with the unlocking of certain interiors in the Gold Coast, I have been avoiding building claims. Some due to the lack of an interior shell for the Gold Coast shacks, but others due to the lack of a decision on how we are going to treat the interiors of the com style buildings.

Here are the options as I see them:
Obviously we could continue using the Stirk set for the GC and Anvil as it is a very similar place.
We could use the set only for the GC's minor settlements and create a new look for Anvil as it is a major city while Stirk is more akin to the small GC towns.
or
We could design a new look for the GC region mostly involving texture changes and also develop a distinct look for Anvil by including a bit more mesh editing such as changing the style of the pillars in the set, giving the ceilings a different look, coming up with a different shape for doorways and doors etc.

Whatever we choose, the time is upon us to do so and then begin to develop any new assets so that we may continue on with our glorious progress.
Project Coordinator

MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Re: Gold Coast Interiors

Postby MoonAndStar » 22 Feb 2014, 17:49

While obviously the case is that "more is better", but since I don't know the first thing about making tilesets or retexturing, I can't well just say that's what needs to be done. Since The Anvil building are essentially very similar aesthetically to the Stirk buildings, I think it's logical that the tileset not be too different, assuming that the architects of these buildings all learned form the same school of thought, so to speak. I'd say at most maybe a different floor texture, and maybe a different 'trim' texture.

As far as the Brina Cross style, I don't see it as bad if we just use vanilla 'com' tileset. It's not like the exterior textures of the vanilla 'com' building reflected much on the interior tileset anyway.

I do hope, however, that not every building in Colovia will use the com set or a modified version of it. I'm not particularly fond of the awkward 'com' caspering pillars and struts, or of how rectangular it is. It would be nice to have new, more organic tilesets for some of the large cities.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 17:59

I'd say that angular style is exactly what we need in Colovia. It is the heart of the style. Modifying the set for other regions/cities would allow us to redo the pillars and struts to change the issues you spoke of without breaking away from the style entirely.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 22 Feb 2014, 18:13

I think for now we are fine. However, this stuff needs to be confined to the GC. New tiles sets will be needed though once things outside the GC start getting done.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 22 Feb 2014, 18:46

I would stick with the com interior set (but retextured and adapted) for any regional com houses, like the ones i made for the gold coast area.

City tilesets could take a different route. Just think of how diverse the different dunmer architectures are. Nevertheless you will see the same shacks throughout the province. I view the com houses in a similar way, but limited to colovia.

The Colovians are a people that is just as big as Nords or Dunmer or any other people. So they should be allowed to show a certain amount of local variety or even big differences between regions.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 19:33

I think I am most in favor of that approach Worsas.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 22 Feb 2014, 20:14

I think the cities close to stirk should share many of the same textures patterns and architecture with the mainland GC interiors. Even if adapted much of the set used should remain the same. I think it would be odd for instance if every town had a style entirely of its own.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 20:24

sasquatch wrote:I think the cities close to stirk should share many of the same textures patterns and architecture with the mainland GC interiors. Even if adapted much of the set used should remain the same. I think it would be odd for instance if every town had a style entirely of its own.

What? This is not even close to what has been proposed. You are arguing against something we are not discussing. Towns will use the set we design for the region the thing right now is if we are saying Stirk is essentially a GC region town and the set should be used for the rest of the GC or not. It seems like this would be the best course of action and then each city like Anvil, Sutch etc. will get newer tilesets just for the cities and their more unique architecture (Stirk/Anvil being an exception).

So basically we will use modified com for the regional interiors that are going to be derived from the exterior com set (ie. the new Gold Coast buildings in Brina Cross) and we will design new tilesets for the major cities to add some more variety. It also seems that we should use the Stirk interior set as the GC regional set though there are a few pieces left in the com set that need to be adapted as we are now using the bay windows and those pieces have not been adapted for Stirk/GC.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 22 Feb 2014, 20:32

This sounds good.

Return to Gold Coast