Newly Released: Dongle's Resources

Introductions and generally anything not related to Province Cyrodiil.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Newly Released: Dongle's Resources

Postby Tarius » 13 Oct 2011, 06:26

http://download.fliggerty.com/download-128

This is my 360th post! There are 360 degrees in a circle!
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Re: Newly Released: Dongle's Resources

Postby Scamp » 13 Oct 2011, 12:00

Windmills? Hell yeah.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 13 Oct 2011, 12:32

The windmills aren't as nice as you would think. Nice link. We have most of that stuff anyway (at least the usable stuff) but there are a few things there that are new to me.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 13 Oct 2011, 22:44

mmmhm, keep clear of those windmills!

i can't see much of anything new? just an elevator. :/
canes cool though.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 18 Oct 2011, 04:25

Why would an elevator be in Vvardenfell, Wollibeebee?
I love Dongle's printing press and windmill. Will you guys be using the printing press and windmill in Cyrodiil? I mean, think about it, it would take way too long for the Black Horse Courier to handwrite all those news articles one by one using monks as scribes with a quill pen and ink well. Or perhaps one of your modelers will make a new model of a printing press to use. The gutenberg printing press is a great example to use.
And the windmills are great to use in Cyrodiil because they grind wheat into flower from the power of the wind spinning the big fan blades. Just trying to add more realism to the province.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 18 Oct 2011, 04:41

I thought about the windmills, but in reality they just aren't very good. The way they work is too functionally different than everything else we have to make a whole lot of sense and not look moddy. The printing press is most likely going to be used.
Project Coordinator

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 18 Oct 2011, 07:08

SamirA wrote:I thought about the windmills, but in reality they just aren't very good. The way they work is too functionally different than everything else we have to make a whole lot of sense and not look moddy. The printing press is most likely going to be used.

Then how else do they grind wheat into flour to make bread? If you were to ask me that, I'd say either millstones around the neck of oxen, except there aren't any oxen in Cyrodiil.
My next theory would be the use of magic. You would still need two large circular stone slabs. But with the right Alterationist (caster of alteration magic), he could cast a spell that would vibrate the stones together, grinding the wheat into flour. Kind of a spin-off of telekinesis but I'd imagine over the 1000s of years that Cyrodiils have been in existence, that somebody would have figured a way to use magic to their advantage when it came to agriculture.
What do you think, SamirA?
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 18 Oct 2011, 14:04

How do they do anything in Morrowind? How do the NPCs take a dump? Does everyone bathe in rivers? Why aren't there any children? How the hell does a ghost fence that my player can jump over keep out the blight which you can see at an even higher level? How do the waterfalls in Vivec work? Why don't vampires drink blood? Why are there no beast-race lame corprus creatures? How do they cook food in Morrowind? Why doesn't my player age? Blaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

If they don't want a mill, how about this, it's grinded in High Rock and imported. Good enough. Huh? HUUUUUH!?

OR PEOPLE COULD JUST NOT OVER-ANALYSE SHIT AND ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME!!! DOES THAT SOUND GOOD TO ANYONE!? NO!?! JUST ME!?!? Never mind then. :uhhuh:
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 18 Oct 2011, 15:10

OK, calm down, people. :shock:

Whilst I'm not sure I like those particular models, I don't see any real reason why there shouldn't be windmills in Cyrodiil. According to Wikipedia, windmills have existed in Europe since medieval times, so it's not like the technology is beyond them even without the use of magic. On the other hand, dirnae has a point: there are all sorts of things that must logically exist in Tamriel, but aren't shown in the game. We can't possibly include all of them, and if we started putting things like windmills in Cyrodiil, it would only serve to highlight the lack of them in Morrowind.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Oct 2011, 15:40

Haha, good questions Dirnae. I shall agree with him.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Oct 2011, 17:09

dirnae wrote:How do they do anything in Morrowind? How do the NPCs take a dump? Does everyone bathe in rivers? Why aren't there any children? How the hell does a ghost fence that my player can jump over keep out the blight which you can see at an even higher level? How do the waterfalls in Vivec work? Why don't vampires drink blood? Why are there no beast-race lame corprus creatures? How do they cook food in Morrowind? Why doesn't my player age? Blaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

If they don't want a mill, how about this, it's grinded in High Rock and imported. Good enough. Huh? HUUUUUH!?

OR PEOPLE COULD JUST NOT OVER-ANALYSE SHIT AND ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME!!! DOES THAT SOUND GOOD TO ANYONE!? NO!?! JUST ME!?!? Never mind then. :uhhuh:

I always wondered, thank you Dirnae for making sense in MW :) Anyways I agree with windmills if tey look good and have all the necessary statics to make the inside. Furthermore my village has a windmill from 14th century and it still works, milling grain. Others were used to dry the land here in the Netherlands, in short a mechanical pump to make polders (reclaimed land) that are below sea level and surrounded by dikes. The windmills pumped the water out.
Last edited by Praedator on 18 Oct 2011, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 18 Oct 2011, 19:31

dirnae wrote:How do the NPCs take a dump?

Seems like they dig a hole and go.

dirnae wrote:Does everyone bathe in rivers?

Quite possibly. They still do that in India, although that might be considered more religious than anything else.
The real question you should ask is do they even bathe to begin with, or do they do what people in the real world did: the poor went around dirty and the rich simply used perfume.

dirnae wrote:Why aren't there any children?

Does cop-out count as an answer? This is one case you could definitly chalk up to Bethesda simply not bothering to deal with it.

dirnae wrote:How the hell does a ghost fence that my player can jump over keep out the blight which you can see at an even higher level?

I thought it was simply supposed to help keep most of the creatures in, not so much be a full proof barrier; obviously it isnt.

dirnae wrote:How do the waterfalls in Vivec work?

That I attribute to either the magic of Vivec, or some sort of pump system, which would be either magical or mechanical in nature. I do think many of the waterfalls portrayed in MW are a bit excessive to begin with though; the volume of water is far too much.

dirnae wrote:Why don't vampires drink blood?

They dont? I thought they did.

dirnae wrote:Why are there no beast-race lame corprus creatures?

Probably cop-out. Or Dagoth Ur is rascist.

dirnae wrote:How do they cook food in Morrowind?

Is not obscure...

dirnae wrote:Why doesn't my player age?

Considering most people spend no more than 2 game years on average playing, I dont think aflicting them with progeria would benefit anyone.

dirnae wrote:If they don't want a mill, how about this, it's grinded in High Rock and imported. Good enough. Huh? HUUUUUH!?

There are perfectly reasonable explanations for plenty of things. Besides, a reason only needs to be good if its going to be mentioned somewhere.

There is also this explanation for why something is the way it is: "A wizard did it!"
I would favor putting this explanation somewhere in the game as a reason for some crazy thing or event.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Oct 2011, 20:03

Tarius wrote:
dirnae wrote:Why are there no beast-race lame corprus creatures?

Probably cop-out. Or Dagoth Ur is rascist.

Maybe corprus just kills beast races. Or it could be because there are far fewer beast races than humanoids in Vvardenfell. And why would a beast race go wandering around Red Mountain anyway?

And also,
:cheery: Wooooo, go Tarius!!!! :cheery:
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 18 Oct 2011, 21:03

I try and bring laughter to people's lives, and I'm repayed with an overly-analytical post.
Pffffff... It's irony but without all the good parts!
Here, I found a diagram for you. I annotated it , so you wouldn't get confused.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu19 ... ontang.png

Fuck it, I'm too good for this shit, I quit!!!
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 18 Oct 2011, 21:44

Tarius, either your extremely dry sarcasm went over my head, or you missed dirnae's point. Anyway. I am not against windmills in general, just these as they aren't good enough. I also see no need to just add them to our to do list since they aren't a huge necessity. If there happened to be super good ones available we might put them in, but there aren't.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 18 Oct 2011, 22:12

if they have enough magic to summon skeletons... i'm sure they can summon bread... ;)

agreed with dirnae and scamp.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 18 Oct 2011, 22:17

SamirA wrote:Tarius, either your extremely dry sarcasm went over my head, or you missed dirnae's point. Anyway. I am not against windmills in general, just these as they aren't good enough. I also see no need to just add them to our to do list since they aren't a huge necessity. If there happened to be super good ones available we might put them in, but there aren't.

I know he was being sarcastic and such when he asked all those questions.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 18 Oct 2011, 22:23

For a nice lore-ish solution though, they all grind their own flour with mortar and pestle.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 19 Oct 2011, 00:26

Wollibeebee wrote:if they have enough magic to summon skeletons... i'm sure they can summon bread... ;)

agreed with dirnae and scamp.

From where, Oblivion?

Come to think of it, where DO summoned Skeletons come from?

When a mommy and a daddy skeleton love each other very much...

...then he's sent off to Skeleton College and when he graduates he can finally have the great honor of being summoned by a Mage.

Oh I mean WHERE are they pulled from? Haven't I ever heard of the Skeleton Realm of Oblivion? It's got a College and everything!! :nyansheo:

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 19 Oct 2011, 00:30

Tarius wrote:The real question you should ask is do they even bathe to begin with, or do they do what people in the real world did: the poor went around dirty and the rich simply used perfume.

Not at all true, actually. It's one of these bizarrely persistent myths about the medieval era (leaving aside the fact that Tamriel is not even remotely close to a realistic medieval society). Obviously people didn't bathe as much in the Middle Ages as in modern times, simply because running water wasn't readily available, but they did understand the value of cleanliness. If anything, it's the Renaissance that was the really 'stinky' period.

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion