Introduce Yourself!

Introductions and generally anything not related to Province Cyrodiil.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby SamirA » 07 Apr 2013, 04:32

Outreach... LOL! Friendly advice, don't bother with them. Welcome to the forums.
Project Coordinator

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 07 Apr 2013, 12:11

Thanks! I'll try to help once I can go active.

Why not help Outreach? Is it inactive? Elsweyr is one of my favourite provinces! :/

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Apr 2013, 12:43

TheLexicon wrote:Thanks! I'll try to help once I can go active.

Why not help Outreach? Is it inactive? Elsweyr is one of my favourite provinces! :/

Oh, it's not that. It's just that outreach is a fairly new project by fairly new modders (minus a few, like ratt) and usually new modder's passion doesn't amount to the task. There's a lot of failed WIP floating around, Beyond Oblivion - the predecessor to P:C, is a good example, I have around 40 of my own personal WIPZ that were scrapped as I was out of my league.

I'll be glad to see something come from outreach, but for now, to the other province mods it's sort of the little awkward brother from hollywood.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Apr 2013, 12:55

Poor Rattfink, his project is not quite appreciated on this forum.

Btw, welcome! I don't mean to disappoint you, but modding Morrowind has a very low chance of improving your programming skills, just for the record. Maybe if you worked on OpenMW or MGE that would belong into that field, but as close as it gets to programming here is scripting, and that's hardly anywhere near the league you seem to be looking for.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 07 Apr 2013, 13:15

Aw, darn it! Well, I guess I'll wait and see whether or not Outreach will get somewhere.

Also, I'd like to say that Morrowind modding would give me a general idea of how programming, modeling, etc. works, and I'll probably find a good place to learn this stuff.
BTW, what programming school would you recommend? Or, better yet, what is the cheapest way of learning this stuff?

Griff
P:C Modder

Postby Griff » 07 Apr 2013, 13:53

well a way to learn to program is to maybe start to muck around with python I know a guy who has made a game type thing with it. and i think its free.

Morrowind modding in the sense of projects like this don't really do much programming if any. Its mainly level building, modeling and scripting.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 07 Apr 2013, 14:41

Isn't morrowind scripting losely based of C++?
Paladin of Vaermina

Luxray

Postby Luxray » 07 Apr 2013, 15:59

C++ is more complicated but I guess the general structure is kind of similar. Lots more to forget with C++ though I find :)

Like Griff said the standard (and cheapest) way to learn a language is to try and code something in it and learn as you go with a reference by your side. If you're a student (in the UK and US, don't know about other countries) you can get a free download of MS Visual Studio through your school / college. You can probably find other coding programs for free online, too.
<Shurdi3> Also who has a framed picture of food in their house? What is this, TES instagram?

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 07 Apr 2013, 17:30

Yeah, sure, I'll try it. But I'm nervous that tinkering with it for a while could wreck my computer. What are the chances of this happening?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Apr 2013, 18:08

TheLexicon wrote:Yeah, sure, I'll try it. But I'm nervous that tinkering with it for a while could wreck my computer. What are the chances of this happening?

No no, this is a mistake alot of people make. You are 99.99% unlikely to do anything to your computer that would kill it. The only way you could really do anything is through more advanced methods and by the time you get to messing with those, you will know enough not to do it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 07 Apr 2013, 20:39

Okay, I'll use that method. Hopefully I'll be able to understand how programming languages are structured via modding here! Thanks for everyone's suggestions and answers!! :nyansheo:

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Apr 2013, 22:48

TheLexicon wrote:Yeah, sure, I'll try it. But I'm nervous that tinkering with it for a while could wreck my computer. What are the chances of this happening?

Who told you that?

... the only way to wreck your computer is either a virus, throwing it out of the window, or overclocking your CPU/NB/SB while having no idea about it and terribly screwing up the voltages.
Also, inefficient cooling can wreck your computer.

Programming does not.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Apr 2013, 23:39

I know of quite a few MW scripting tutorials, I'd link to them, but I don't want to go search as I'm on dial-up. XD

But when you start, give me a shout.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 08 Apr 2013, 01:19

Thanks! If I ever understand the confusing structure of computer programming, I'll probably use Java, despite anyone's groans of displeasure.
It is a friendly, easy-to-understand language, after all. And to top it off, it was made by a Canadian!

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 08 Apr 2013, 13:58

Groans of displeasure? Hell no.

If you want to get into programming, JAVA. Most definitely. It's THE language they teach you first at university (at least here in Germany xD). Besides, it's really, really object-oriented. Which is what you are gonna want.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 08 Apr 2013, 17:29

Scamp wrote:Groans of displeasure? Hell no.

If you want to get into programming, JAVA. Most definitely. It's THE language they teach you first at university (at least here in Germany xD). Besides, it's really, really object-oriented. Which is what you are gonna want.

Well that goes to show how backwards the US is. Here, they have you jump right into C++.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Apr 2013, 20:38

Speak for you own University and don't lump the whole country in Tarius. At Auburn all the people I knew going into programming started in Java.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 08 Apr 2013, 21:59

SamirA wrote:Speak for you own University and don't lump the whole country in Tarius. At Auburn all the people I knew going into programming started in Java.

Oh, well in that case the schools I went to were dumb. I wasnt specifically in programming but had to learn something about it. The first of anything I had to do was C++. In fact at the end when the college asked what could be done better, almost every single person said more programming.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 08 Apr 2013, 23:53

I think ALL universities should teach Java; it was designed to be quick and easy to learn and understand.
I could pick up this stuff by myself, but maybe I'll take a college course. XD
BTW, just so I know when I have my new computer, where are the download links?

Ald_Moth

Postby Ald_Moth » 09 Apr 2013, 15:30

So hello there. Pretty new to modding projects, but thought this is very impressive and would like to contribute.

Hope I don't step on anyone's toes with my ideas.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion