Going out of Business

Introductions and generally anything not related to Province Cyrodiil.
DJGamer
Mad God

Going out of Business

Postby DJGamer » 08 Sep 2011, 07:56

I recently bought The Infernal City: An Elder Scrolls Novel at Borders as part of their going-out-of-business sale, I think it was about $6.40, which for a new copy of a book was a pretty good deal.

However, recently I've gotten to thinking that when it comes down to it being part of a clearance, in terms of supporting the author and/or publisher, you may as well be buying it used.

I've never really studied business but I can work out in my head how things work. As an example you go to a store and see a bunch of DVDs on a shelf what may not be obvious to you is the fact that technically they're all already "paid for" in terms of the fact that the studios that released and the wholesalers that handle distribution have already earned their money from selling them to the store.

However, when you buy one of the DVDs, it means they'll have one less of that DVD in stock and eventually they'll have to buy more. So when you buy a product from an active business you're playing you're own part in ensuring that the people responsible for that product's creation will continue to profit from it.

But if you're buying it from a business that is soon not to be in business at all the odds of them restocking the item are reduced to zero. Now something that did just occur to me is the probability that any items that they cannot get rid of at the end of the clearance might go into their online store and hence buying it means one less of that item being added to the inventory but to say the least the impact is lessened.

Buying items on clearance in general is probably the least beneficial the items's producers because it means they have no plans on restocking whatsoever. It isn't a hard hit to the company of course though since by that point they've probably made all the money they likely can off it and it's even possible that they've stopped producing new copies of it altogether.

This is just a thought I had and felt compelled to put into words. I'd planned on making it part of my blog but since my last barely-related-to-the-project post got reported I decided that maybe it's slightly more appropriate to make such posts elsewhere.

I'm not moving the aforementioned post though due to the fact that I'm too flabbergasted at the fact that someone would report a post in the head administrator's blog and think they could get away with it-you should thank your lucky stars that the reporting system is anonymous. :P

(I'm only kidding [hence the emoticon], but feel free to play along if you like-or not. I am really curious though about who actually reported my post. Don't worry, I'll only ban you for a couple of days :nyansheo: )

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Lady Nerevar
P:C Legend

Re: Going out of Business

Postby Lady Nerevar » 08 Sep 2011, 19:47

The store still bought those copies, though, from the author/publisher and paid them. When you buy second hand, the author/publisher gets no money at all, since the book did not come from them. Whether an item was on sale or not doesn't really impact an author/publisher, since they were already paid a flat price for the books. I don't believe books sell as well as DVDs or are stocked as often (excepting the big star authors) - some books aren't stocked at all by stores, and I imagine smaller authors don't get restocked at all.

I got both my copies of IFC for free, the first one at the library (which I obviously returned), and the second from Bethesda. Does that make me a terrible fan? :uhhuh:

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 08 Sep 2011, 21:37

That reminds me I haven't mentioned yet that I've pre-ordered a copy of Lord of Souls from Amazon.com (with two-day shipping so I can get it on release day baring any mishaps-it was only about a dollar more so I figured what the heck). It cost me $14.60 (or will once it ships, unless the price goes down at any point between now and then) which is still less than retail price and if I bought it at a store I'd have to pay tax on top of that.

I've saw that there were already a few reviews from people who got advance copies it. If only I were that connected. :P

But I agree used copies of any item tend to hurt the industry the most, especially when you're dealing with retailers like Gamestop that sell a combination of new and used games. In that case not only are the used games being sold with no profit going to the developer and publisher but they're also taking up inventory space that could otherwise be occupied by more new copies of the game.

I'd also like to note that the reason I think stores like Borders are going out of business is a little different from what happened to for instance Sam Goody-though there are some similarities such as a tendency to overprice things. With Sam Goody it was obviously the quick rise of digital downloading with Napster and later more legal means such as iTunes. CD-R drives made it fairly easy to transfer the music to a format you could play anywhere and not just on your computer before the iPod came out and made MP3 players into a more common item.

I'd argue that the situation is slightly different for Borders because eReaders haven't yet reached a level where I or my family owns one-so I sort of consider that a gauge on how commonplace such devices are (although admittedly perhaps not the best one). I think the greater reason overall is just Amazon.com period-the advent of Kindle may have just pushed it over the edge. Online shopping for things like books is just more convenient in general and from what I've seen it appears as though the Borders website won't be closing down (judging from the fact that they aren't selling anything online a clearance prices). I still don't think the Borders website will reach anywhere near the level of success as Amazon since Amazon also sells used copies and has expanded itself into a sort of internet superstore where you can buy nearly anything except certain groceries.

So I'd argue that Amazon.com as a whole is the primary thing that's destroyed Borders and not just the Kindle.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Lady Nerevar
P:C Legend

Postby Lady Nerevar » 08 Sep 2011, 23:17

Do you think that's a bad thing, though? Personally, I am in love with my Kindle and with Amazon. I can buy a book while on the toilet, instead of having to find a ride to the store, browse their [limited] selection, try to figure out which books don't suck, and then pay more for them. I like the feel of a physical book, and will continue to buy hardcovers for the stuff I'm really into, but elsewise convenience is king.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 09 Sep 2011, 00:00

Progress is (more often than not) good, although more and more often not so good for businesses trying to sell physical products. It's also destroying various customer service jobs.

It's part of the reason I'm almost hesitant to switch away from my current job at a Grocery Store-as at least I'll have some security in it, at least until someone invents a food replicator and it becomes affordable.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Return to Off-Topic Discussion