Fork's Model Showcase

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
commodorefork
P:C Modder

Fork's Model Showcase

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 01:45

Hey, everyone!

I found this mod through moddb. I'm very impressed by the progress you've made on Stirk. It has a distinct Mediterranean feeling. Stirk reminds me of Pompeii, in fact.

I think I can help this mod on the modeling side of things. I've been modeling for Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 since 2006, so I've got the basics down pretty well. ;-)

I went ahead and modeled some Corinthian columns and added them to Stirk's shoreline. Here are a couple screenshots:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/ ... hot012.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/ ... hot013.jpg

If someone gives me a thumbs up, I'll make a whole temple. The columns make nice looking ruins by themselves though, if you think you could use them that way. :)

What are your modeling needs at the moment?

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Fork's Model Showcase

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 01:57

Hi Fork, glad to see you made it over here. I don't know that we need a whole temple at the moment, but that style of design is most likely going to be employed in the Imperial City so it is certainly something to consider. We are leaving that part for last though so that we can give it as much new stuff as possible and really do it justice.

One thing we really could use is a new set of pottery and cups and platers. This stuff would be based off of Roman designs with some nordic influences. I don't have any concepts for this but Google those things and come up with some sort of combined and coherent set. These would all need to be colored the same. Basically look at redware/limeware from the vanilla game to see what the set would consist of and get your ideas from the sources I posted.

This is a very much needed resource as we are doing the interiors of Stirk and it really would be even more unique with a new set of dishware.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Jun 2012, 02:05

Go with what SamirA says for now. Unless you wish to help me in fixing various errors with current things.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 07:02

Okay, I have a plate for you. It took longer than I expected because I had to make the textures from scratch. Anyways...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/ ... hot018.jpg

Is that style okay, or do you want some sort of elaborate design on it? I'm not sure what a Roman/nordic plate hybrid would look like. I could add some norse runes to it if that would please you. :)

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 07:03

Tarius wrote:Go with what SamirA says for now. Unless you wish to help me in fixing various errors with current things.

What errors are you fixing? I know you're having some trouble with the collision. I could help you fix the collision meshes for stuff if that'd help.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 07:43

Yes, that is a good style, very nice in fact. Would you mind uploading that nif so Tarius can check the specs on it? Just from the look on style though it is spot on.
Project Coordinator

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 08:18

Alright. Glad to hear I'm making something you can use now. :)

Here's an archive containing the plate and the textures for it.
Attachments
fork_plate.zip
(213.2 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 08:23

Absolutely, this is something instantly usable in interiors with a few more pieces.
Project Coordinator

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 08:28

By the way, that plate isn't scaled or centered right yet. I need to edit the mesh file before you use it. :)

I was working on a cup before I made the plate. Tell me if you can use this one. I made the textures here, too.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/ ... hot021.jpg

Also, what's the resource ownership policy for the mod?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 08:56

Resources are free to use as long as credit is given. We feel that what we do is for the community, so why not let them use things themselves. None of are getting paid to do this. The cup looks too asian to me, I think something more rustic, maybe even square, I dunno about that just a thought. Basically something that goes with the plate, same basic texture and all, like the sets from vanilla. Each piece should look like it is of the same material. The cup might find a home in the Nibenese regions as their influence is more asian due to the Akaviri. Though I do think the texture could use some work, at least the interior portion.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 08:57

I'll say again, the plate is genius. Figure out a cohesive set to match it and we really have something on our hands. Very nice style you went with there.
Project Coordinator

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 09:45

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 23 Jun 2012, 10:42

commodorefork wrote:Here's a new cup:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/ ... hot023.jpg

Nice! I like it!
I am no salmon – Dagon

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Jun 2012, 15:31

Alright. After taking a look, here are a couple things.

This is a bowl, not a plate. Well, maybe its a plate where you come from, but in the US it would be called a bowl.

Smoothness. Make things nice and rounded unless you accentuate the corners to make it look like the plates and cups are angled on purpose. There is no need to skimp on making something nice looking. We need this stuff to last. Just dont overkill though.

Textures are ok for the size of the dish. Just make sure you save them in .dds format. Helps cut the size down. Further in regards to size, most textures for the larger stuff should be at least 512, smaller textures are ok for the smaller objects.

I noticed a stencil property on the bowl. This is not needed on anything where you dont need to see the backside of a poly.

Please make sure there are no seams on anything if at all possible. I know in some cases, its impossible not to have a seam, but I noticed on the bowl that the UV map didnt extend from one edge of the texture to the other. This caused a seam.

Otherwise you seem to know what you are doing.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 17:36

There are deeper bottomed plates. I can't tell from the screen exactly, but it looks like a deep bottom plate, If its so deep it looks like a bowl then we just call it a bowl and make a flatter plate.

New cup is great. You have the design concepts down from a vizual standpoint. These are exactly the type of shapes we need here. Great stuff.
Project Coordinator

commodorefork

Postby commodorefork » 23 Jun 2012, 17:40

Okay. Thanks for looking at it, Darius.

I guess it's a bowl then. Whatever you want to call it is fine with me. :)

As for smoothness, I tried to make it look smooth within reason. I've been optimizing my own meshes for years so I try to be conservative with the poly-count. I realize that these plates/bowl/whatever are going to be reused a lot in the same cell. The profile of the bowl is supposed to look that way. ;)

As for the textures, the ones I uploaded are half the size of the original ones I made. I'll start saving them as .dds's, though.

Didn't notice the stencil property. I already know what it's used for. :)

The seam in the bowl is a minor annoyance. I'll try to fix it. What face-count do you want for bowls, plates, etc? I'll work within your specifications.

Also, how does one become an official team member? Where are these secret mod development discussions taking place. :)

SamirA wrote:There are deeper bottomed plates.

That's what I was imagining when I made it. ;-)
Last edited by commodorefork on 23 Jun 2012, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 17:55

Welcome to the team Fork. You know what you are doing and have made two very nice looking pieces to a set we need very much.

The little niggles Tarius has can be corrected easily and smoothness is a style one anyway which would have been hard to know before posting anything since this is for Morrowind and your model looks like a good Morrowind model.

You will have access to much more forum now. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing this set completed. Very nice designs.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 23 Jun 2012, 19:24

commodorefork wrote:Okay. Thanks for looking at it, Darius.

Another alternative spelling to add to your collection, Tarius. ;)

Welcome to the team Fork!
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Jun 2012, 20:03

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:
commodorefork wrote:Okay. Thanks for looking at it, Darius.

Another alternative spelling to add to your collection, Tarius. ;)

Welcome to the team Fork!

I think that runs out all the possible mispellings.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 23 Jun 2012, 20:34

Famous last words. :scamp:
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Next

Return to Modder Showcase