A.J.'s showcase (interior)

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
A.J.
Pleb

A.J.'s showcase (interior)

Postby A.J. » 31 May 2012, 13:54

hi, i'd like to offer my help for your ambitious project! i briefly worked for TR on some exteriors (detailing of a few cells) many years ago, back in the days when pretty much anyone was allowed to contribute without promotion, so i have some experience with the Construction Set.

recently i got interested again in the MW modding community, and decided to make a showcase for TR again, but as it seems they're focusing much more on scripting lately, i switched to you guys.

it's a two story Hlaalu house (i placed the exterior house in Seyda Neen) to which i tried to fit the interior as good as possible (i hope the size is big enough).
so yeah i used gridsnap to make the int pieces fit together, tried to add as much detailing as i think is appropriate, set up the light/sleeping settings and north marker and cleaned everything with TESAME afterwards.

i hope my skills are good enough to work for you, and if not, maybe you'll help me improve them :)

cheers!

(PS i forgot to say the file is still requiring TR_Data.esm, i hope that's not a problem)
Attachments
AJ showcase.ESP
AJ's showcase
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: A.J.'s showcase (interior)

Postby SamirA » 31 May 2012, 18:33

If you have to make another showcase, please don't make it require TR_Data. Also you dont have to place an exterior for an interior showcase.

That being said, I'll give this a look later. Most of us have access to TR_Data and can review this but I dont want to make a habit of it.
Project Coordinator

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 23 Jun 2012, 13:19

*cough*

anyone?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 17:37

I'm so sorry A.J. I'll look at this today. Once I post on something if nobody else says anything I forget about the threads. I have so much going on its crazy. I will get back to you shortly. I apologise again.
Project Coordinator

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 23 Jun 2012, 18:16

heh, no problem. i understand you guys have been busy with the Alpha release and all that stuff. i just wanted to make shure i'm not completely forgotten :D

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 22:34

Lets see here.

First off, since you included an exterior, I have to say this does not fit. Due to one tiny missing item. You have a window in the interior that has no correspondent on the exterior. This needs to be fixed (or you can just remove the exterior portion from your showcase).

Second, this is, stylistically, a nice interior. You show very good design elements and it is a quaint little place. You also squeezed in enough stuff to make it feel full which is very nice.

The thing that needs to be worked on here is placement. Nearly everything bleeds or floats in some manner or is caspering around. You have to rotate each item to match the surface it is resting on, not simply f it to the surface. With de_p this is difficult because the surfaces are warped. You need to look at each object from every angle to make sure it is resting properly.

You also have to bleed things with pointy bottoms into the surfaces a bit, such as a bowl you have on a table so that it looks like it is sitting naturally on the surface rather than defying gravity. In addition to this, soft items like pillows and sacks should be bled a little to look natural. However, nothing else should bleed. There is one instance where you have a shelf bleeding through a wall and poking out the other side, this needs to be fixed.

Lastly, we have caspering, this is where you can see through a mesh because it has no back. You have a plater hanging off of a shelf slightly that is up on a wall, the plater has no bottom so you can see through it which is rather odd and needs to be fixed, in addition you put meat on hooks, these also lack backs and so they become invisible from one side. The idea was very good and it looked nice from one side, but since the model is not complete it cannot be hung in such a manner.

Work on these things and you will pass. The toughest part is getting the feeling that someone actually lives in the place and you captured that. You simply have to work on your placement skills and pay attention to items that have no backs.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jun 2012, 00:26

Just a note on the items with no backs. They dont necissarily need to be flat up against something just so long as no on can see that they are missing the back from any angle they might be standing.
In example the platter. If this was on a bottom shelf hanging off some, it wouldnt matter that it had no bottom because you wouldnt be able to get that close to the floor to look; unless of course you put it right next to some stairs or something.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 27 Jun 2012, 23:14

We are perfectionists. It doesn't feel right if you make an item casper just because "nobody can see it anyway". I guess it's just the crazy world builders again.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Jun 2012, 00:12

Scamp wrote:We are perfectionists. It doesn't feel right if you make an item casper just because "nobody can see it anyway". I guess it's just the crazy world builders again.

Hey, well if no one is going to ever see part of a model, why should I waste polys by filling it anyway?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 28 Jun 2012, 00:18

Tarius wrote:Hey, well if no one is going to ever see part of a model, why should I waste polys by filling it anyway?

That is different. We fully support saving polys.
Project Coordinator

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 02 Aug 2012, 21:43

sorry for the long delay, finally i finished my exams and have some more time for modding :D

so:
-i corrected the placement of all things with pointy bottoms as well as the sacks and the pillow.
-i also rotated items resting on de_ furniture, although i'm not sure if it's good enough in some cases (for example the "small" chest upstairs is actually so big that it's pretty much impossible to make it fit on all sides, but i tried my best...)
-i added the missing window on the exterior model.
-i deleted the hanging rat meat (i'm using MGE and i'm pretty sure it not only replaced the textures on the meat model but also added new surfaces because for me the model had no open surfaces anymore), and replacesd it with some of TR's hanging fishes, giving the house-owner some fishy background :P

happy reviewing everyone!
Attachments
AJ showcase 2.ESP
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 26 Jan 2013, 17:14

so i guess my showcase wasn't good enough after all? :/

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 26 Jan 2013, 17:36

Blimely, you should have posted much earlier. On behalf of the team I apologise that no-one has reviewed this.

Edit:

Illegal to sleep: Yes
Light values: Yes
Clean: Yes
Northmarker: Yes

com_sack_03_chpfood5 could be bled a little bit more into the floor, but is probably fine as it is.
de_p_chest_02_mclothes3 bleeds into the floor.
food_kwama_egg_01's bleed into the basket, but that's unavoidable and no-one will ever notice it. They also bleed into each other, which could be avoided by shrinking them a bit.
furn_de_lightpost_01 caspers, just push it a little bit further into the wall.
furn_de_p_shelf_02 floats, a lot.
furn_de_p_shelf_02 x2 bleeds through the wall and visible on the other side.
ingred_bread_01 x3 floats. There's no way you can put those in bowls and have them not float or bleed. It might be acceptable, if not put them on a platter instead.
ingred_crab_meat_01 x3 caspers. The ones of the shelf can be bled a little more into the shelf. The one on the paper is trickier to eliminate, but is probably acceptable.
ingred_kresh_fiber_01 x2 these would fall off if it was real life. Put them a bit more on top of the bread.
iron dagger needs rotating so the end of the handle is touching the surface of the table.
light_de_lantern_04_177 floats
misc_com_wood_knife needs rotating
misc_de_basket_01 bleeds
misc_de_bowl_glass_yellow_01 is in a really awkward place on top of the drawers and needs moving and/or rotating
misc_de_drum_01 floats and needs moving to side so it's fully on the rug.
misc_de_foldedcloth00 floats. Move it slightly so it can lie flat on the table.
misc_de_goblet_08 floats
misc_de_lute_01 handle bleeds into the wall.
misc_skooma_vial skooma is illegal and needs hiding.
Potion_Local_Brew_01 bleeds
sc_paper plain bleeds

That looks like a very long list of errors, but most of them are minor and easily fixed. Be careful when you put items on uneven surfaces not to put them directly onto a kink, as that makes it very difficult to rotate them properly. Apart from that the interior is not bad, although perhaps a little bit bare. I promise that your next attempt will be reviewed a lot more quickly. :D
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Jan 2013, 21:43

Good lord. How have you interior people missed this for so long?!

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 26 Jan 2013, 23:25

If something doesn't get a bump after a bit people forget about showcases. Just the nature of the beast. Reviewing a showcase is not part of the enjoyment of modding. Happens all the time. We encourage people not to bump a showcase before a weeks time has passed, but after that they should bump them at any time so that people will remember to review them.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 11 Feb 2014, 04:56

A.J. I know you still come around, you still have a chance to pass just by fixing the errors TDF pointed out above.
Project Coordinator

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 15 Apr 2014, 13:30

SamirA wrote:A.J. I know you still come around, you still have a chance to pass just by fixing the errors TDF pointed out above.

just recently discovered your post. thanks for giving me another opportunity, last time RL stuff caught up again, so i dropped this.

i worked through TDW's list. replaced misc_de_bowl_glass_yellow_01 with a redware platter. had a hard time positioning it on the uneven surface below, so i hope it's good enough as it is. also, i checked misc_de_lute_01 and couldn't find a spot where the handle is bleeding into the wall.
tried my best with the rest of the list.

so, here is my new and hopefully final version :D
Attachments
AJ showcase 3.ESP
(10.21 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 17 Apr 2014, 11:00

I found three tiny errors looking at your interior cell. They would not be noticed ingame 90% of the time, but as a matter of form, I report them here:

- de_drawers_02_mcommonde in the first floor slightly floats above the ground.
- sc_paper plain in the first floor bleeds into the table surface. <--- This is the only serious one to me. It is less much a problem, if the crab meat slightly intersects with the paper. But the table surface should not be seen through the paper.
- the lute in the first floor still slightly bleeds into the wall.

You cannot always produce a 100% realistic placement of objects. To take the lute as example, you should just move it a little bit away from the wall, so the neck of the lute only just touches the area of the wall it is at.
Apart from that, it looks good to me, especially the little storage with the fish.

Return to Modder Showcase