~Haarvok Showcase~

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
Haarvok
Pleb

~Haarvok Showcase~

Postby Haarvok » 07 Feb 2012, 03:15

Okay, so this is my first post on the forum, and also the first time to showcase what i have to offer, so here goes. I did a quick interior, nothing too extraordinary. I didn't make an exterior to go with it, but i am more than capable of doing so. In this mod i threw together an interior with Hlaalu as the base influence in the architecture and furniture. I tried to pay special attention to detailing since that's what i like to see. umm... i think that's it.

The door to the interior is floating in the middle of Seyda Neen. I thought that'd be the simplest place to put the door.
Hope you like it.
Attachments
Test Interior-Haarvok.ESP
(13.27 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Re: ~Haarvok Showcase~

Postby Praedator » 07 Feb 2012, 08:47

First of all welcome Haarvok!

I will review it his afternoon, have to run for work now..

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 07 Feb 2012, 09:17

Hmm, just 13.27 KiB, I'm a bit suspicious, I'll just have a quick look at it.

BTW, I that you have to make a. Exterior for it to prove that you can match it to the Interior.

Also make sure you:
1. Use gridsnap
2. Have 100 or more refs
3. Have a two story building
4. Clean it with TESAME when your finished
Last edited by The Khan on 07 Feb 2012, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Feb 2012, 10:30

The Khan wrote:Hmm, just 13.27 KiB, I'm a bit suspicious, I'll just have a quick look at it.

BTW, I that you have to make a. Exterior for it to prove that you can match it to the Interior.

Also make sure you:
1. Use gridsnap
2. Have 100 or more refs
3. Have a two story building
4. Clean it with TESAME when your finished

ohh the Irony.

"BTW, I that you have to make a. Exterior for it to prove that you can match it to the Interior." in other-words, drag and drop an com_house into Seyda neen. :P

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 07 Feb 2012, 10:33

Just had a quick look. You've got a serious case of Bleeding and Leaching. I've got a quick list of what I could find:

The sacks downstairs, their inside the boxes
The stack of spoons, it's a flying spoon
The carpet upstairs, it's floating
The fork into the plate in the dining room
All of the display plates are in the shelves
The sack upstairs, into the floor
In the dining room just as you walk through the door look to the right
Stools and tables into the carpet
Oh and last but not least, there's a knife in the bread. XP

There's most likely more but thats just most of the obvious stuff.

You did use a de_p furniture but you didn't align the stuff on top to sit flat.

More than 100 refs, good.

You need a door leading to the outside.

You used gridsnap, good.

I'm sure everyone else can give a better review than me but this is my basic overview. Good luck. You still need to be cleared by SamirA.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 10:58

Wellcome to P:C Haarvok! Erm... What was I supposed to say? Oh, well review!!!

Gridsnap: yes
Nordmarker: nO
Clean: not very since there is a door, some unused newly created objects and the evil, vile GMST's.
Lights: Changed but you should copy an existing interior light settings unless you have a good reason to change it.
Illegal to sleep here: yes
Stylemixing: yes

You don't need to make an exterior just tell us what building it should match because right now it doesn't seem to perfectly match any hlaalu building (although it's not worse than vanilla mismatches so this isn't that important). You also don't need to create new objects and as a rule you should only create objects that you place in the interior (or exterior). You also forgot a door to the interior.

You also have stylemixing between the com cupboards and plates and the rest of the dunmer interior. This should not be done in a showcase. All the com plates are far too lowered so they are bleeding into the furniture. Bleeding and floating objects are usually bad and the best way to make sure they aren't floating is to look at the lines surrounding the object. If they just touch the surface they will be dotted and that usually means that the object is correctly placed although some objects with tricky models will need to be adjusted without paying attention to the lines. Pillows and sacks should be slightly lowered for realism even if they do go into the furniture and floor so the pillow upstairs is fine (althought the bed isn't since it blends into the carpet just like every other bit of furniture that sits on a carpet). Also although you put a good amount of details the halls are a bit bare so adding tapestries, carpets, sacks will improve that. Also place more lights since the house seems too dark to be inhabited by someone who isn't a necromancer (and if it is inhabited by a necromancer add corpses).

Overall it's a good showcase so keep trying, you're almost there. Also the knife in the bread was a nice touch and NO, you do not need a door leading to the outside and the slightly lower sacks are also very well placed! Also USE THIS REVIEW since it is more accurate than Khan's but also keep in mind what he said.

EDIT: You can also look at a nice interior tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Feb 2012, 11:18

"Nordmarker: nO"

bwahahaha

Scamp Warning: Don't spam. :scamp:

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 07 Feb 2012, 15:52

The Khan, I like your willingness to help and review, and you do help somewhat, but leave the reviewing of showcases to the reviewers please, if they are not available a promoted modder can and will.
Once you are promoted and we have no time feel free to use our review summary style and give an initial review on a showcase.
Else it will be very confusing for the applicants as well as for us what is said, reviewed and altered according to our reviews in following tries.
Applicants only have 3 tries for a showcase file, and confusing is making that much harder.
Like I told you The Khan also Haarvok you can always ask anything you need help with, we will help you out, and that won't cost a try. So if you are not sure, just ask.

Lord Andres Indoril

Postby Lord Andres Indoril » 07 Feb 2012, 16:27

While I am not as knowledgeable in your showcasing standards, back at TR it is a learning process. As such, it can serve in multiple directions. For a non-reviewer reviewer for an example, it can teach to keep an eye out for the same errors that the others have made and they can later compare to the other review to see if they did not leave anything too important unnoticed.

For a showcase applicant, of course, both reviews of a less experienced and an experienced reviewer can be worthwhile for a fixing. As long as the novice reviewer does not post something that would actually cause an error, instead of fixing one.

And for us old agey caney reviewers, like you and me, Praedator, occasionally comparing our own reviews to the reviews of less experienced ones can also be a good thing to do. Just to check if we aren't getting sloppy.

Thank you for following another session of "Madness with Lord Andres Indoril the Mad".
I hope you enjoyed your stay.
Best wishes,
Lord Andres Indoril the Mad.

Lord Andres Indoril's Blogwoggofmoddywoddy.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 17:08

Quite true. However while every new review is helpfull all reviews should have a certain standard and check a few basic things first. Things like stylemixing, clean files, how the interior fits the exterior, the gridsnap and the lights for the interiors. P:C, Shotn and TR have the same promotion standards and making a review or a showcase based on the common guideliness makes the said review helpfull and the said showcase promotable.

You don't need to be a reviewer to write a good review. Belive it or not were all modders (and even worse unpromoted modders!) once but then we took an arrow in the knee and became reviewers. However going with the guidelines both for reviewing and for the showcase is a big plus.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2012, 22:39

I have no issue with The Kahn reviewing in showcases. I would like for him to note that his reviews are not official so that the showcase maker does not make a new attempt off of his review alone. Kahn reviewing could help him grow as a modder so it is good in my book.
Project Coordinator

Haarvok
Pleb

Postby Haarvok » 08 Feb 2012, 00:03

So after reading through everyone and their mother's reviews, apparently there is a lot of bleeding. I did it on purpose with the meshes that would be soft realistically (sacks and pillows) but the others were by mistake. I'm going to go through and fix what was mentioned, and anything else i can find. Also i'll clean it with TESAME since i didn't the first time. Hopefully i'll have a new revision within the hour. Thanks for the criticism!

alex25

Postby alex25 » 08 Feb 2012, 00:11

The sacks and the pillows are very good btw. Also don't mind our ranting. It just happens. On the bright side if you like reading inane walls of text you are at the right place!

Haarvok
Pleb

Postby Haarvok » 08 Feb 2012, 05:28

Okay, here is an edited version of the previous esp. I fixed the following;
•Switched redware dishes with wood
•moved the carpet from upstairs to a new location
•added some details to the "dining room"
•removed the hutch and replaced it with two shelves
•fixed some bleeding meshes
•fixed floating spoon
•added more details to the halls (tapestry, clutter)

and maybe a few more things. I moved the door to Balmora (-3,-2; near the temple) and added an exterior to appease some modders
Thanks again!

oh, and p.s. I'm not too keen on how the whole three strikes policy works on showcases, so i apologize in advance. and then i have a question: what happens if you peoples like my work? Do i get to work with you or is there more to the process than just the showcase?
Attachments
Test Interior-Haarvok(2).ESP
Try two
(9.91 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Feb 2012, 05:31

Three strikes doesn't mean you are out. It means you just have to make a new one instead of just editing the current one. It is all to help you develop as a modder. If you pass showcase then you are on the team and will work with us as an interior modder. No more processes. :)
Project Coordinator

Haarvok
Pleb

Postby Haarvok » 08 Feb 2012, 05:46

SamirA wrote:Three strikes doesn't mean you are out. It means you just have to make a new one instead of just editing the current one. It is all to help you develop as a modder. If you pass showcase then you are on the team and will work with us as an interior modder. No more processes. :)

thanks for clearing that up!

alex25

Postby alex25 » 08 Feb 2012, 12:03

Review!

You don't really need to add a exterior to a interior but it's ok if you do. However if you want to be an exterior modder make a at least 6 cell exterior showcase.

Interior review
Clean: not quite, cells that you don't use and doors should be cleaned
Fitsexterior: yes by the standards of vanilla hlaalu buildings
Lights: Please add fog and copy the light settings from a vanilla exterior. Tweaking with the lights should only be done when you have a reason to do it.
Stylemixing: yes but not as bad. There is no reason to use de_r pieces in your interior although it isn't quite as jarring as the com bit. It still needs replacement though.
Northmarker: No. It should be yes.
Gridsnap: yes

The interior is still quite undercluttered and looks very empty. There are still too few light sources. One of the sacks downstairs bleeds too much into one of the crates and knives don't stack that way IRL or in TES. Also various objects could match the poor surface better but there is a bit of effort put there so that isn't that much of a problem.

You are improving. The main problem in your interior is lights. Look at the vanilla interiors and then if necessary give your own spin. Also clutter more. You don't have to throw lots of tiny details like coins or napkins but the hallways and wall areas are almost empty.

Return to Modder Showcase