The Khan's Interior Showcase [PROMOTED]

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
The Khan
P:C Modder

The Khan's Interior Showcase [PROMOTED]

Postby The Khan » 29 Jan 2012, 06:17

I was working on an Exterior before but I gave up on that. Instead I decided to make an Interior.

Here it is. Cleaned with TESAME. I removed everything (I think) that doesn't have anything to do with my Showcase.

Lets hope for a good review. :)

EDIT: Forgot to say, this is the very first time I've ever pressed the "New Interior" button in the CS. Also the first time I've ever had anything to do with an Interior... as far as I remember anyway. :P
Attachments
Khans Interior Showcase Clean... I think.esp
(138.45 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Last edited by The Khan on 06 Feb 2012, 08:38, edited 3 times in total.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Re: The Khan's Interior Showcase [WIP]

Postby Praedator » 29 Jan 2012, 09:58

Another rule for a showcase is that you have 3 tries per file. Meaning that if you have to do it in 4 you will need to make a new showcase file, which has another 3 tries.

Also I will review it when you say it is finished, and suggestions would cost you a try :P

Do this and you get a FULL review, generally a long list of errors :D

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 29 Jan 2012, 11:20

LOL I'm pretty sure I did this one good. Every single one of my objects is placed by using the "F" key. :D But OK. I'll take my Upload down and finish it. Also that won't be to soon because I'm leaving for a week.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 Jan 2012, 12:14

Are you using de_p (cos you should be :D) and making sure you rotate every object by hand to fit the contores of the furniture?
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 29 Jan 2012, 21:53

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I know the rules. I did all of that. When I say "Every single one of my objects is placed by using the "F" key." I mean I rotate them the required degree and use the "F" key to make it flat on the surface of whatever was under it. I also used Grid snap and Rotate snap on the shell so no worries about that.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 30 Jan 2012, 16:47

Just checking. I didn't want you to spend time making a showcase and then have to redo it because you didn't use de_p. That would be annoying.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 06 Feb 2012, 08:24

It would. :) Putting the showcase on the first post. :D Lets hope for good reviews. I hope there isn't a limit because I have over 500 refs. :/

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 06 Feb 2012, 15:53

Quick review:

Clean: No, everything but the cell: Balmora, P:C Showcase should go. Also don't copy from vanilla cells, insert everything yourself.
Gridsnap: No, only partially, gaps. Downstairs is ok, upstairs not aligned.
Lighting: Good
IllegalToSleep: checked
Stylemixing: yes, limeware

Shell;
The shell is not built with gridsnap, many tiles are used wrong (doubling) like the stairs that are put atop eachother for a wall on one side. and like columns at placs where half a column exists. Use the tileset so that no doubling of textures occurs, Hlaalu tileset can make any corner at will, with or without columns.
You have put planters all over the place, and all of them bleed with one another. Use either one planter, or none. Also two planters bleed with doors/doorjambs, others bleed with floor below.
You have put trees at bottom floor that reach through the ceilings to the third floor, the treetop should not bleed though anything. Use smaller tree or a plant that fits

Clutter:
80% of the clutter is either bottle or a book, try to be a bit more creative.
Stacking so many books is not really done.
Not many objects are rotated well to match the surface on de_p, decimals of degrees are required to do it well.
Many objects bleed into eachother, like tapestry with table etc.
Don't place objects half-on, half-off capets or rugs, as you will always have floating/bleeding problems.
All plants are bleeding.
Leave room behind doors so they can open (storage room)
Be sure every bit of clutter is reachable by the player.
Soooo many bottles and wineracks is not needed.

Lighting:
use "L" to see the range of your lighting, no sphere should overlap when possible.
The lightbulbs for the mushrooms are to large radius and to many together.

Other thoughts;
First of all I see potential in you depicting something you want, you have an open mind, and you like cluttering, so you can make good stuff. Just you miss the basic technique to make a solid interior. If you follow my remarks, it is learnt easy enough.

Recommendation;
I would suggest you to make a new interior 3x2 in floorplan, 2 stories high, with gridsnap, use de_p, rotate every piece of clutter to match the surface, and I will give you a full review. This because otherwise you would be removing half the interior now, rearrange everything with gridsnap and replace faulty tiles with good ones, then reclutter it, which all will take a lot longer than starting a new one.
Try to make a shop with the owner living upstairs for example.

I hope I was not to hard on you, happy modding!

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 06 Feb 2012, 19:35

Khan, maybe you've seen it already but in case you didn't, Samir compiled a great tutorial for interior modders: Link ;)
I am no salmon – Dagon

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 07 Feb 2012, 00:17

I know. I did use gridsnap actually but when I saved it and got back into it the same gridsnap settings were off somehow (Even when I set them to 1) so there was either a gap or it was overlapping a bit.

There are so many books and bottles because he's an alcoholic than likes to read. :D

I'll start a new one like you suggested. A shop with an upstairs bedroom.

I hated to put two stairs on top of each other but it was the only way to get it to look right. No problem, I'll make sure I don't get the same problem in the next one. :)

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 07 Feb 2012, 00:31

btw Khan if you have questions during your interior showcase making, I am here to be asked, saves you some work maybe :D

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 07 Feb 2012, 09:04

It really only took 5 days max. And I don't mean 120 hours. :P

I really did try to angle the stuff for the de_p furniture. I even went to the .000 in some places.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 11:17

The Khan wrote:I know. I did use gridsnap actually but when I saved it and got back into it the same gridsnap settings were off somehow (Even when I set them to 1) so there was either a gap or it was overlapping a bit.

About the faulty gridsnap. This happens when the first piece isn't properly gridsnaped from the start. Start by setting gridsnap to on and then add various bits and pieces.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 07 Feb 2012, 15:39

The Khan wrote:It really only took 5 days max. And I don't mean 120 hours. :P

I really did try to angle the stuff for the de_p furniture. I even went to the .000 in some places.

we require every object to be rotated to a 0.1 degree, finer than that you really can't tell, and is in most cases not needed at all.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 07 Feb 2012, 16:30

You want to grid snap at 32 or 64, something that's a power of 2.
SamirA wrote:
Haha, bethstapo.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 16:47

Or 128 or 256 or even 16777216. Well maybe not the last. Also don't overrotate objects. If it's not perfect we won't mind that much if it only happens a couple of times.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Feb 2012, 20:19

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:You want to grid snap at 32 or 64, something that's a power of 2.

I always got grid snap at 8 or something like that. I find that larger tends to make it harder to fit things multiple statics together where I want them.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Feb 2012, 20:44

32 is generally a good choice for tilesets such as the common imperial housing tileset, however for other things like bar tiles and stuff I'd recommend smaller values such as 8 or even 4 as it makes things more precise and less choppy.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 07 Feb 2012, 21:53

alex25 wrote:About the faulty gridsnap. This happens when the first piece isn't properly gridsnaped from the start. Start by setting gridsnap to on and then add various bits and pieces.

And that's exactly what I did. I use a gridsnap of 2.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 22:03

Us a higher gridsnap for the larger pieces. Two is too low... Something like 16 would work better

Next

Return to Modder Showcase