Leon van der Stadt Music & Interior - [PROMOTED]

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
Leon
P:C Reviewer

Re: Leon van der Stadt music composer

Postby Leon » 13 Dec 2011, 22:33

The Khan wrote:I use Opera the web browser. It's really good. I like the music. FL Studio?

Cubase 6 actually, I use FL Studio 9 for my techno and dubstep music 8-)

Tarius wrote:
Leon van der Stadt wrote:
Tes96 wrote:Leon, are you into classical music and opera?

Well yeah, I'm a classical composer. But Opera is pretty hardcore and it takes years to finish 1 single opera, got not much time you know ;)

Nice. I used to tell people I like classical music, they would be like "oh..."
I then started telling people I liked orchastral music, and thy are like "oh, cool"

Well, I also used to say that I love classical music like Mozart, Beethoven, but then I took an arrow in the knee...
*laugh*

[On Topic]
Well, I'm planning on finish 3 Explore Tracks and 1 Main Theme in the end of March (maybe earlier). It's also because I'm very busy for TR at the moment, and it would be fun to have some music in the next (Stirk) release. Which is soon I think?
In Total:
7 Explore
1 Theme
4 Battle = (And I don't know if battle music is possible, because of scripting?) But luckily we have SamirA on the good side, I hope.
León van der Stadt, composer

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 13 Dec 2011, 22:51

I don't know what is possible to implement music wise as Morrowind is tricky about stuff, but I am certainly up for new stuff and will do my best to have everything functioning in game the way we want it to.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 14 Dec 2011, 19:44

Shouldnt you explore the world we are making some to get inspiration on how it should sound?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 14 Dec 2011, 20:13

I have to be honest, I have a seperate gaming folder for P:C with Oblivion music in it anyway...

Leon

Postby Leon » 14 Dec 2011, 21:23

Tarius wrote:Shouldnt you explore the world we are making some to get inspiration on how it should sound?

Well, I've a lot of images of P:C collected which is enough for me to work on.

Scamp wrote:I have to be honest, I have a seperate gaming folder for P:C with Oblivion music in it anyway...

oh... :/

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Dec 2011, 23:16

New Music = Good. Can't wait to hear some Leon.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 15 Dec 2011, 05:59

SamirA wrote:New Music = Good. Can't wait to hear some Leon.

Well get some help from the current massive music mod to implement it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 15 Dec 2011, 06:06

Dont know that one Tarius, link me?
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 15 Dec 2011, 14:18

Leon van der Stadt wrote:oh... :/

Sorry sorry, but we are still using your stuff, so there's no need to make a sadface!

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Dec 2011, 14:06

SamirA wrote:Dont know that one Tarius, link me?

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=7899

Wow, cant believe that isnt hall of fame yet. Anyway, as you can see, its pretty comprehensive with over 170 songs.

Iwent through every single song in it. I am picky about music, but I think he got all but one of the songs almost/dead on.

Leon

Postby Leon » 16 Dec 2011, 15:47

Tarius wrote:

Wow, cant believe that isnt hall of fame yet. Anyway, as you can see, its pretty comprehensive with over 170 songs.

Iwent through every single song in it. I am picky about music, but I think he got all but one of the songs almost/dead on.

I've listening all those tracks, and... they are ok but not for Morrowind. I do not hear the Morrowind atmosphere. For example the tracks Caldera.mp3 and AzurasC_1.mp3, it's sounds very like Runescape :| That was my first impression... The others are very (too) atmospheric. What struck me is that it also contain music from TR...

If you really love the Morrowind culture and the game itself, I wound't recommend it. Other than that it sounds alright and I think that's the reason that it isn't in the hall of fame now.

lol, it sounds almost like a review :D
Pardon me ;)

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 17 Dec 2011, 03:57

Well yeah, I'm a classical composer. But Opera is pretty hardcore and it takes years to finish 1 single opera, got not much time you know ;)

Awesome! Who are your favorite composers? Off hand, mine are Arvo Pärt, Vivaldi, Penderecki, Mozart, Chopin, Hildegard von Bingen, Scarlatti(both father & son), Handel, Xenakis, Stravinsky, Holst, Tchaikovsky, Holst, Bach, Rachmaninov, Purcell, Gustav Mahler, Bellini, Tartini, Puccini, and that composer who wrote a shit load of operas... uh... Donizetti! Yeah, his stuff is awesome. I like his operas better than Mozart and Puccini actually.

Oh, and do you have any favorite classical artists, Leon?
Mine are sopranos Angela Gheorghiu and Anna Netrebko, the violinists Sarah Chang and Alexander Markov, pianists Evgeny Kissin(yeah, he plays a few wrong notes, big deal) and Krystian Zimerman.

So what periods of classical music are you mostly into? I like medieval, baroque, renaissance, romantic, and the period with penderecki, webern, ligeti, john cage, ben johnston, varèse, wyschnegradsky, etc... modern I guess?

It's so wonderful to finally find someone else who likes classical music like me! :mrgreen:
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Leon

Postby Leon » 17 Dec 2011, 11:28

Tes96 wrote:

Awesome! Who are your favorite composers? Off hand, mine are Arvo Pärt, Vivaldi, Penderecki, Mozart, Chopin, Hildegard von Bingen, Scarlatti(both father & son), Handel, Xenakis, Stravinsky, Holst, Tchaikovsky, Holst, Bach, Rachmaninov, Purcell, Gustav Mahler, Bellini, Tartini, Puccini, and that composer who wrote a shit load of operas... uh... Donizetti! Yeah, his stuff is awesome. I like his operas better than Mozart and Puccini actually.

Oh, and do you have any favorite classical artists, Leon?
Mine are sopranos Angela Gheorghiu and Anna Netrebko, the violinists Sarah Chang and Alexander Markov, pianists Evgeny Kissin(yeah, he plays a few wrong notes, big deal) and Krystian Zimerman.

So what periods of classical music are you mostly into? I like medieval, baroque, renaissance, romantic, and the period with penderecki, webern, ligeti, john cage, ben johnston, varèse, wyschnegradsky, etc... modern I guess?

It's so wonderful to finally find someone else who likes classical music like me! :mrgreen:

Haha, well my favorite composers are Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Satie and don't forget Bach *with his hundred children* ;) And hundred of more composers which I like!

I used to play piano a lot, but then I choose to be a composer which is fine too (I hope). I used to play Liszt his Liebstraums (No.3 is my favorite). I played almost all the Beethoven sonatas, so also all the movements of it (Yeah I know moonlight Sonata 3rd movement is very difficult but feasible). I used to play the Nocturnes and Etudes from Chopin a lot, my favorite Nocturne is Op.9 No.2, very romantic piece. Rachmaninov his preludes and concertos are legendary. It's not that difficult IF YOU HAVE HUGE HANDS :D

The last pieces that I've studied was the Goldberg Variations (Bach) and the Grosse Fuge (Beethoven). So I almost played 5 a 6 hours a day which was pretty extreme :D A few years ago I wanted to put it all on YouTube, but I had almost no time left for it, and composition came visit me more often. So there was a point that I had to choose between piano or composition. I choose composition of course, but it was a huge struggle for me. The only classical composition of mine you will ever find is this piece(please avoid the note mistakes?). I composed more than hundreds of classical music, but never made it to the public (shame on me). But I will do it (within 5 years). So...

I like Evgeny Kissin a lot, he was a role model for me years a go when I wanted to be a pianist, hes a very talented man he's more like a romantic pianist than classical (in my opinion ;) ) When we talk about Bach, we also talk about Glenn Gould. Gould is a genius, he's the best Bach-player (if that is a word) in the world. He' amazing, but only for Bach. So he has also his limitations.

I mostly like Classical and the Romantic era. When we talk about the romantic era we talk mostly about; Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann, Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Mussorgsky, Ravel etc. etc...
I don't have a favorite modern composer in mind, maybe John Williams. But the greatest composers on the world are already dead, so.. :lol:

Cheers Tes96, may Talos be with you! :olddude:

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 17 Dec 2011, 14:21

My favourite composers are Howard Shore and Jeremy Soule. Bam.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 17 Dec 2011, 19:44

Tarius wrote:

I've listening all those tracks, and... they are ok but not for Morrowind. I do not hear the Morrowind atmosphere. For example the tracks Caldera.mp3 and AzurasC_1.mp3, it's sounds very like Runescape :| That was my first impression... The others are very (too) atmospheric. What struck me is that it also contain music from TR...

If you really love the Morrowind culture and the game itself, I wound't recommend it. Other than that it sounds alright and I think that's the reason that it isn't in the hall of fame now.

lol, it sounds almost like a review :D
Pardon me ;)

Well, everyone has their opinion. I will say that I think there could be more fitting music, but this is pretty good.
Also, I never played Runescape.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 18 Dec 2011, 01:22

Tes96 wrote:
Leon van der Stadt wrote:It's so wonderful to finally find someone else who likes classical music like me! :mrgreen:

FWIW, I like classical music as well. I don't have an exhaustive list of my favourite composers or pieces, but my favourite opera is Mozart's Don Giovanni, followed closely by Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro) and Verdi's Un ballo in maschera. Otherwise, my favourites tend to vary from day to day depending on how I feel. Oh, and I'm a big Gilbert and Sullivan fan (I belong to a local G&S society which puts on a show each year).

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 18 Dec 2011, 02:12

Leon van der Stadt wrote:Haha, well my favorite composers are Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, Satie and don't forget Bach *with his hundred children* ;) And hundred of more composers which I like!

I used to play piano a lot, but then I choose to be a composer which is fine too (I hope). I used to play Liszt his Liebstraums (No.3 is my favorite). I played almost all the Beethoven sonatas, so also all the movements of it (Yeah I know moonlight Sonata 3rd movement is very difficult but feasible). I used to play the Nocturnes and Etudes from Chopin a lot, my favorite Nocturne is Op.9 No.2, very romantic piece. Rachmaninov his preludes and concertos are legendary. It's not that difficult IF YOU HAVE HUGE HANDS :D

The last pieces that I've studied was the Goldberg Variations (Bach) and the Grosse Fuge (Beethoven). So I almost played 5 a 6 hours a day which was pretty extreme :D A few years ago I wanted to put it all on YouTube, but I had almost no time left for it, and composition came visit me more often. So there was a point that I had to choose between piano or composition. I choose composition of course, but it was a huge struggle for me. The only classical composition of mine you will ever find is this piece(please avoid the note mistakes?). I composed more than hundreds of classical music, but never made it to the public (shame on me). But I will do it (within 5 years). So...

I like Evgeny Kissin a lot, he was a role model for me years a go when I wanted to be a pianist, hes a very talented man he's more like a romantic pianist than classical (in my opinion ;) ) When we talk about Bach, we also talk about Glenn Gould. Gould is a genius, he's the best Bach-player (if that is a word) in the world. He' amazing, but only for Bach. So he has also his limitations.

I mostly like Classical and the Romantic era. When we talk about the romantic era we talk mostly about; Mendelssohn, Brahms, Schumann, Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Mussorgsky, Ravel etc. etc...
I don't have a favorite modern composer in mind, maybe John Williams. But the greatest composers on the world are already dead, so.. :lol:

Cheers Tes96, may Talos be with you! :olddude:

I have a Satie CD. He's good for light listening.
Chopin etudes? Ooh, I'd love to see a youtube video of you playing No. 12 in cm. This recording of Kissin is muddy but I think Kissin is best suited for Chopin. He isn't the best with Rachmaninov.
Haha, yeah tried learning both the Rach 2 and Rach 3. At one point in time, I knew both those concertos so well I could play the entire 45 minute piece in my head while I was at work. I like Rach 2 a little better than 3 but 2's 3rd movement doesn't do it for me. But then the Rach 3's 2nd movement bores me a bit too, except for the ending of the 2nd movement of course.
Oh man, you know who is damn good at rachmaninov is Andrea Watts. Ever heard of him? I have a cd of him playing Rach 2 & 3. So fluent and smooth, yet so fast and technical; no wrong notes that I heard either.

Speaking of fugues, I'm sure you've heard Stokowski's orchestral arrangement for Bach's "Little" fugue in gm. The ending is just ka-pow! as opposed to the original organ piece. You can play that on piano I'm sure. Even I could play it if I practiced enough.

Would you agree that Bach was the pinnacle master of contrapuntal form on keyboard? (My music theory probably sucks so I hope I'm using words correctly). Contrapuntal refers to counterpoint I know that much.

You know, I've hear Gould's stuff on the radio so many times but I've never purchased any of his CDs. I listen to Classical KUSC 91.5 fm. In fact it's the only radio station I listen to.

I found this video randomly just now. To most people he looks crazy but you have to be a musician to understand that what he is doing with his hands and stuff is artistic expression. It's the difference between playing notes on a page and playing music.

Leon, if you want to hear some crazy counterpoint, there was a piece my friend showed me that had the left hand playing a continuous 7-tuplet melody with the right playing a legato melodie. But it sounded like two different people were playing because the rhythms were so different. The melodies fit together, but the rhythmic construction was very disjunct. Maybe disjunct isn't a good word to use.... different for lack of a better word.

Beethoven's Grosse fugue? I read in a newspaper article about 10 years ago, maybe even 14 years ago, that a new grosse fugue of his was discovered.

Pianokwartet by Leon from the City, oh wait, that's you! :lol: j/k Does it translate to "waiting piano"? Your piece is really good. I like the 8th note melodies a lot. It's simplistic, light-hearted and great for a candle light evening in a theatre hall in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil. But I'm sorry, those performers are just awful. Had you hired professionals you would have had a much better production. But who knows how many Euros it would have cost you. lol But you definitely have talent. I like the style in which you compose. It sounds neo-classical.
Alright, I've typed enough.

Helena wrote:FWIW, I like classical music as well. I don't have an exhaustive list of my favourite composers or pieces, but my favourite opera is Mozart's Don Giovanni, followed closely by Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro) and Verdi's Un ballo in maschera. Otherwise, my favourites tend to vary from day to day depending on how I feel. Oh, and I'm a big Gilbert and Sullivan fan (I belong to a local G&S society which puts on a show each year).
My sister and I went and saw Figaro at the San Diego opera. Wait, no we saw Die Zauberflöte there and Figaro at Walt Disney Concert Hall. Figaro confused me. The page is supposed to be a guy but a girl was playing the part. Someone told me it's tradition to have opposite sexes play roles in plays, much like in shakespear, I guess.
Don Giovanni is one I cannot wait to go see. I would love to see that opera. The Commendatore scene is so bad ass.
I never saw any Verdi operas unfortunately. I have his Requiem in Dm on dvd (with Gheorghiu as soprano). But that's about it as far as Verdi. There's an offramp on the freeway I always pass by called Via Verdi exit. lol
I've never heard of Gilbert or Sullivan.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 18 Dec 2011, 06:48

This is interesting, I have to wonder if people who like classical type music are alot more likely to stick with games that have it.

I am not a huge music person, and more often than not when I am driving somewhere, the car is silent. I typically go by song and have no favorite artist(or band in the case of others) in particular, I do however like the conductor André Rieu, more his performances; he truely loves what he does.
In many cases I like when music goes with something, or has some sort of meaning to it, rather then just that it sounds nice.
Although, I do think Tchaikovsky isnt bad.

You know I just noticed something interesting, Jeremy Soule also did the music for the game Total Annihilation and he did a kickass job on that.(Total Annihilation came out in 1997, like MW, fans have kept it going and it has already had a complete engine rewrite into the form of "Spring")

Leon

Postby Leon » 18 Dec 2011, 13:22

Pianokwartet by Leon from the City, oh wait, that's you! :lol: j/k Does it translate to "waiting piano"? Your piece is really good. I like the 8th note melodies a lot. It's simplistic, light-hearted and great for a candle light evening in a theatre hall in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil. But I'm sorry, those performers are just awful. Had you hired professionals you would have had a much better production. But who knows how many Euros it would have cost you. lol But you definitely have talent. I like the style in which you compose. It sounds neo-classical.

Well, "Pianokwartet" is dutch for "Piano Quartet". It's actually Piano Quartet Op.8 No.1 mvt.1 that piece on YouTube. And León van der Stadt is just my real name, it's German though. :D

Ah, The Revolutionary Etude. I love than one too, that was the first etude that I played. I think I'm able to play that etude again, hope my hands aren't to rusty... :uhhuh:

Well, about P:C; I almost finish 2 explore tracks. They are more oblivion-ish than Morrowind-ish, but you feel the homeland of Morrowind thoroughly through those tracks. The main theme is a more difficult process. There is progression, so stay tuned! ;)

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 18 Dec 2011, 14:07

Well, "Pianokwartet" is dutch for "Piano Quartet". It's actually Piano Quartet Op.8 No.1 mvt.1 that piece on YouTube. And León van der Stadt is just my real name, it's German though. :D

Ah, The Revolutionary Etude. I love than one too, that was the first etude that I played. I think I'm able to play that etude again, hope my hands aren't to rusty... :uhhuh:

Well, about P:C; I almost finish 2 explore tracks. They are more oblivion-ish than Morrowind-ish, but you feel the homeland of Morrowind thoroughly through those tracks. The main theme is a more difficult process. There is progression, so stay tuned! ;)

If you ever post any more videos, let us know, especially Chopin stuff.
I'd love to see actual music performed in Cyrodiil, especially in the Imperial City. I imagine in the palace there are little quarters with a harpsichord, a violinist and a cellist, or a trio of woodwind players out on the street performing. Taddeus could possibly help us with the animations of the musicians. I think it would be so awesome to have actual performing musicians in Cyrodiil. And remember in the TESII Daggerfall biography when the Player went to the Imperial City and there was a grand celebration? I picture lots of women, musicians and merry men dancing around and having a gay old time during that celebration. Isn't there a piece called "wine, women and song"?

I think it's good you're making the atmosphere music more Oblivion style than Morrowind style. In my opinion, I think it's a good idea to give it that TESIV atmosphere because it won't feel like a giant Morrowind mod, but rather a whole new province.

PreviousNext

Return to Modder Showcase