WandeRMaster ShowCaSE

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
wandermaster
Pleb

WandeRMaster ShowCaSE

Postby wandermaster » 28 Jun 2011, 18:25

Hello guys!

There is my models finished yet:

(easier to show them via this link)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1200960-relz-shields-of-morrowind/page__p__17984483__fromsearch__1#entry17984483

Atm i focusing to make some weapons.

Osidian
P:C Modder

Re: WandeRMaster ShowCaSE

Postby Osidian » 28 Jun 2011, 18:51

Hey wandermaster, welcome to P:C!

I've seen your shields at the official forums, they look quite nice :)

Someone from our modeling department should be able to take a look at your stuff very soon.
I am no salmon – Dagon

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Jun 2011, 19:58

Ok, yes I agree the shields look nice but they need work before they can be used for MW.

First, I see from the thread you were trying to get them in the right file format and texture size(powers of 2 of course, 512x512 1024x1024 etc). The icon texture size needs to be 32x32 and preferably it should be a picture of the whole item, not just a piece of it. This would follow what Bethesda did when they first made the game and is something most people are used to.

Second, and the thing that definitly needs to be worked on is the number of polys. One of the shields I looked at had OVER 9000 polys which is definitly a high number.(yes I just did that!) The other one I checked had over 2000 which is still a tad high but I suppose would be acceptable. The test shield you made in the correct file format is perfect for the poly range though; I wouldnt add many more however.
With something like polys, its always good to keep in mind what people can actually notice. Beyond a certain point, adding more polys doesnt do anything for visual effect because because no one would notice the edges anyway because they are too subtle.

Third, what is your first language? I just happen to be curious.

Ok, after looking at your test shield, I couldnt get the texture to show up on it for some reason. Someone commented in the thread they had to flip the normals for it and thats probably what it is. Another thing is that the texture path should be something like "textures\filename" but this doesnt matter as much. Also, I noticed the lighting colors were all set to black; ambient, diffuse etc, those should preferably be white or close to it but thats easy to fix.
So, I would say you are close to getting it right, but still need to do a little more. Its easy once you figure everything out though. In your case I think its mostly finishing touches that need to be worked out.
Also, I am curious as to what program you are using to make these.
Another question I have is in the test shield I noticed that the glossiness was close to being maxed out and I was wondering if there was a reason for this. I havent actually played around with the glossiness much so I dont know what effects would happen at huge values.
I guess one more thing is that I think shield and armor need to have bones in them in order for the player to actually be able to wear them. I didnt see any as part of your shields, but if you can figure out how to do that, you will know something I do not at this point in time.(because it will take more time then I care to spend learning to do it at this point in time)
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

wandermaster
Pleb

Postby wandermaster » 28 Jun 2011, 20:17

Tarius wrote:Ok, yes I agree the shields look nice but they need work before they can be used for MW...

Third, what is your first language? I just happen to be curious.

Hungarian a realy unique in europe.

Also, I am curious as to what program you are using to make these.

Blender/Gimp/Paint

I cant comment bones you mentioned.
And the polygones, i have a bet which are those highpoly ones, i havent checked them to be honest, but i try keep it low (makin a surface smooth *2 if i do it 2 times that *4 ... 3*8 etc....), i usually do only one so around *2.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 28 Jun 2011, 22:38

Bones could be an important part and something that all of us should know. Muspila/Worsas would know these things I imagine and it would be pertinent if he were to allow us all to know how to do this. I'll see if I can get him to comment in here and help us out with this issue.
Project Coordinator

wandermaster
Pleb

Postby wandermaster » 29 Jun 2011, 21:00

I tryed out a few thing during these days.

If i open nifskope, and i import a nif, i can export it as an xx.OBJ,so i can use it in belnder, and if i dont touch it (rotation/scale/moving it around)just modifyit, can it stay at the same point where it was basically in nifskope?
The only problem i tryed to make one modify, makin a part bigger but when i imported it, the axe was mad by 11 parts, i guess because of the texturing. I can merge them, one by one. I finished it as a test model, here is:

http://filebeam.com/bd103da1b30e5d3249a8d7b75fe21d91

cannot be use in cs because says itsnt a nif.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 29 Jun 2011, 22:56

Haven't said hi yet. Welcome to these boards.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Jun 2011, 01:06

If i open nifskope, and i import a nif, i can export it as an xx.OBJ,so i can use it in belnder, and if i dont touch it (rotation/scale/moving it around)just modifyit, can it stay at the same point where it was basically in nifskope?

Actually, I recomend you get the .nif import/export scripts for Blender. That way you can import and export .nif files from it instead of needing to put stuff in .obj format. I think the nif scripts only work with Blender versions up to 2.49b however.

As for the place where the object is in the 3d world, it doesnt matter what you do to it. The only thing that seems to matter is the distance the object has to the center point of 0, 0, 0. When the .nif file is made, that is where the center is located regardless of what the object is like.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

wandermaster
Pleb

Postby wandermaster » 30 Jun 2011, 10:34

Tarius wrote:

Actually, I recomend you get the .nif import/export scripts for Blender. That way you can import and export .nif files from it instead of needing to put stuff in .obj format. I think the nif scripts only work with Blender versions up to 2.49b however.

As for the place where the object is in the 3d world, it doesnt matter what you do to it. The only thing that seems to matter is the distance the object has to the center point of 0, 0, 0. When the .nif file is made, that is where the center is located regardless of what the object is like.

Yes i realized too, i havent use blender before 2.5, but i saw ist a must :(

Return to Modder Showcase