Showcase Guidelines: What we want to see at P:C!

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Showcase Guidelines: What we want to see at P:C!

Postby SamirA » 15 Dec 2010, 21:47

All new members who wish to post a showcase should look here first before asking any questions.

All Showcases must be dependent upon the Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon .ESM's. Every showcase should also be cleaned with TESAME or some other .esp cleaning utility. Each showcase should us the PC_ prefix for each new item created within the .esp, from quest names to cell names this is an important habit to get into. Each showcase will go through a three strike revision process upon submission, this means that once submitted you have two more opportunities to fix any mistakes found in your showcase file. If errors persist through three drafts of any showcase we will ask that you create a brand new file for submission keeping in mind the errors that were present in your first showcase attempt. This is to help you in learning how to create a mod that is up to the standards of Province: Cyrodiil, we will help you with constructive criticism on your way to becoming a Province: Cyrodiil modder. Each member goes through the same process, so do not get discouraged if it takes a few tries to get accepted. We all started somewhere and many of us had to go through several mods before reaching our current ability levels.

Interior Showcases:
For an interior showcase, members should create a two story interior using an interior tileset (no pre-made interior shells). The interior should fit into an exterior that already exists in the TES III Morrowind Construction Set (CS). The best tileset to work with when creating an interior showcase is the Hlaalu tileset, but any building tileset is acceptable (no caves!). The showcase should display the ability to properly rotate items to match the surfaces they reside upon in game. To accomplish this the de_p set of furniture is the best set to use to truly showcase your ability to rotate items within the CS. Make sure to have at least 100 references within your interior as well, this will prove sufficient in terms of rotation assessment.

Exterior Showcases:
For an exterior showcase, members should create a six cell exterior using the Bethesda created (vanilla) environments. An exterior showcasing at least one region transition would be preferable as many of the claims that will become available will need transitional areas between regions. The exterior should pay close attention to detail and shading, as well as have a natural look to it. A good rule of thumb for an exterior is to have, at the minimum, no less than 200 references per cell. Otherwise, try to keep it above 250 so that each individual cell is intriguing and beautiful.

Modeling Showcases:
For modeling showcases we want to see an example of your skills with 3D models that fit in the Cyrodiil environment. A good idea for a modeling showcase would be to look through our concept art and create a model based on some of the designs detailed for Cyrodiil. Be sure that each model created is in line with the models found within the vanilla game in terms of vertices and textures. For more information on modeling contact any of our modelers. Currently Tarius is the leader of our modeling crew and can give you more details on what we want to see from our modelers.

Questing/NPC Showcases:
For quest/NPC showcases we want to see a functioning quest. It should include some scripting to show what you are capable of. The quests should follow the dialogue style of the vanilla game in flavor and content (meaning the you need to use American English when writing your quests dialogue, use color instead of colour for example). Be sure to check your quest for grammar and spelling errors.

If no one replies after a week or two, bump your showcase!
Project Coordinator

The Khan
P:C Modder

Re: Showcase Guidelines: What we want to see at P:C!

Postby The Khan » 01 Nov 2011, 12:13

I feel like such a n00b for asking this but what are "references"?
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Nov 2011, 12:28

the amount of things you put into a cell. You see them in list form under the cell window of the CS, right next to the list of available cells.
Project Coordinator

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 01 Nov 2011, 20:55

XD I won't have any problem with that. :P I've got 300 and something in the cell with the island... so far. :D
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 Nov 2011, 22:48

The Khan wrote:XD I won't have any problem with that. :P I've got 300 and something in the cell with the island... so far. :D

good job!

but what does praedator think about this?

:nyansheo:

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Nov 2011, 23:01

Prae and Scamp are free to critique the minimum per cell requirement in the showcase guidelines.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 Nov 2011, 23:53

whu?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2011, 00:08

Just that 100 may be a bit low for exteriors, I don't really know. So, if they feel a bigger number should be the minimum it can be changed.
Project Coordinator

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 02 Nov 2011, 05:51

250 would be about right. Maybe 300, or is that too much? I could probably handle 400 but I can't speak for other n00bs that might want to try. ;)

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 02 Nov 2011, 08:20

SamirA wrote:Prae and Scamp are free to critique the minimum per cell requirement in the showcase guidelines.

As P:C will do very cluttered exteriors (1-2k cells), and all our work should match, we require much higher refs than that in actual claims.

This said I do not want the noob modders sit with hands in their hair on what to place but show their skills in landscaping as well as cluttering. I guess 300-400 refs would give a good indication of the insight of a modder, and also show their ability to modify terrain well.

100 refs is really just far too low imo. If a modder shows straight away they can handle so many refs (1-2k) it is a bit pre!

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2011, 12:29

I'll change the exterior req's to 300 minimum then.
Project Coordinator

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 02 Nov 2011, 14:09

sounds reasonable to check insight in technique and beauty

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 02 Nov 2011, 18:32

I made use of my incredible powers to change this part a bit to my likings.

People, I can see everyone wanting to have 1-2k refs in each cell, and I know you guys can handle 400 refs in a cell.
You should still keep in mind we are talking about the absolute minimum here. The ref count of a cell always depends on what it contains; It might contain a desert or a beach, and by all means please do never use 1000 grass meshes on a beach. For the showcase, I have mentioned that keeping it above 250 is always a good number, no matter what you are doing. If you can handle more, it's no problem. This is just the exact minimum.
(Btw, we have plenty of cells beneath 300 without groundcover at the Gold Coast, and I expect modders to adapt to the style of the region, as it's generally a rough and bare region compared to our future regions)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2011, 22:23

Im fine with that Scamp, and yes I would imagine a few regions might have less refs in a cell as they are supposed to be moe barren. Most showcases won't consist of barren regions though, but I'm fine with your guidelines. You are the exterior guy after all.
Project Coordinator

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 27 Jan 2012, 12:16

OK. I've decided to ditch my Exterior Showcase (it wasn't going anywhere) and try my hand at Interiors. It's going awesome but, again, I think 100 refs in in Interior is not enough. It says you have to do a two story Interior, I'm doing a three story one and on the top floor (the smallest room) I've already got over one hundred refs. I'm sure that it doesn't have to go up to 250 but I still think 100 isn't enough. Just my opinion.

EDIT:
Scamp wrote:You should still keep in mind we are talking about the absolute minimum here.

In that case 100 is good.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 11:36

Exteriors aren't that ref dependant so there can be areas that look good with 50 refs and areas that look good with 3000. Using shading and textures matters a lot (and you can't have that in an interior). Also isn't the grass going to be randomly generated and fix in detailing claims? Or was it in the review stage?

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Feb 2012, 20:42

The Khan wrote:In that case 100 is good.

I was talking about exteriors though :maiq:

alex25 wrote:Also isn't the grass going to be randomly generated and fix in detailing claims? Or was it in the review stage?

Doesn't matter much how you say it - I review claims as I merge them with my main region file, and in that process I generate and arrange groundcover.

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 21:29

Thanks Scamp. That must be a lot of work...

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Feb 2012, 22:48

Indeed, usually arranging the groundcover takes approximately twice as much time as making the actual claim itself (and it's some annoying shit I tell you)
But that's one of the reasons why I am the Head of Exteriors, right? :P

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Feb 2012, 22:56

correct.

Next

Return to Modder Showcase