Modeling: Imperial Wayshrine - [PROMOTED]

Interested in joining? Show off your skills here.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Modeling: Imperial Wayshrine - [PROMOTED]

Postby Tarius » 01 Feb 2011, 23:03

Figured I would go ahead and do this even though I may not start anything else immediately, I also figured that you guys could require a standardized type title for easily seeing what kind it is, in this case, its for modeling.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=8975

Any other models I might make for this project I would hope arnt nearly as complex, as in the number of polys required for good looks(due to so much roundness) and unless you dont care, wouldnt be released separately.
If you were wondering the number of total poly's its some under 12000 for the platform and altar together, which is a few more then I had hoped but isnt really too out there considering you can match that number just by putting a couple creatures down. Of course while creatures move, this is stationary so still less impact.(if you want poly counts to compare to I can provide them(I did post a list in Beth's forum for some from various games), I do know that the original model from Oblivion has around 8k polys, i figured I might as well make it look better now so as to make it last longer without need for update)
Well I could go on and on about why I thought this way or why something is that way, so if there are really any questions, you can ask me.
I am confident that this thing should be plenty of qualification. I am usually humble about stuff, but after you get so many people telling you good work etc. I just like it when people are truthful about things so I can improve, not that saying good work is unwanted.(after going through school being required to type lots, I now find myself doing it with other stuff, at least being verbose means I am more likely to touch on everything)
One other thing, if you give me a file to dump the models in I will add the proper prefix or I can simply make one myself.

Edit: I just realized this is the first showcase here.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Modeling: Imperial Wayshrine

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2011, 01:12

Technically it isn't the first showcase here, it is merely the first on our new boards. We had several at the old site before DJ went Rambo on it and destroyed it. I'm glad he did though because these new digs are GREAT! I love the wayshrine Tarius. ZackG will have to give it a look, but rest assured you have done great work here.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Feb 2011, 05:49

SamirA wrote:Technically it isn't the first showcase here

Reason I said here, I do realize there is an old site, haha.

Edit: Interesting fact, l I have come upon the old forums while searching on google a couple times .
Last edited by Tarius on 02 Feb 2011, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2011, 06:01

Yeah, they show up first for some reason.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 17:36

I've checked your model out. The textures are a lot better than what I had thought they were when I quick peaked at the screenshots. A few could still use improvement though. Overall I thought the use of the colors was magnificent.

wyshrn_fndtn-too colorful. The only texture that I felt was too vibrant. Also, and I know how difficult it can be for brick textures, but it feels flat despite the texture looking rough.
wyshrn_plat_cent-excellent color choice. I think I might use this to match colors for other pieces that are Ayleid/Imperial City stuff.
wyshrn_pilr_orn2 and wyshrn_pilr_orn-my favorite. Great choice of color. They dont jump out at you and feel awkward despite being colorful. They are just very unique, old, ancient even.

As far as the model-great model, very well put together, great job on the uv mapping. Only complaint is the size. This thing will be out in our temperate rainforests and jungles and one of our biggest focuses are filling those with enough plantlife to make it feel real, so we already plan on cutting it close to what some systems can take, especially with mge. Having a large model like this can be taxing. Generally, I shoot to make a model half to 2/3rds of what they were in Oblivion, which is nowhere as difficult as it sounds.

I havent familiarized myself with how to promote people on this website so I will leave it to DJGamer, but you are good to go for both texturing and modeling.

SamirA

Re: Modeling: Imperial Wayshrine - PROMOTED

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2011, 23:50

Congrats Tarius!
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Feb 2011, 00:56

ZackG wrote:I've checked your model out. The textures are a lot better than what I had thought they were when I quick peaked at the screenshots. A few could still use improvement though. Overall I thought the use of the colors was magnificent.

wyshrn_fndtn-too colorful. The only texture that I felt was too vibrant. Also, and I know how difficult it can be for brick textures, but it feels flat despite the texture looking rough.

Yes, its unfortunate about the foundation texture. I do feel as though it looks good enough to be passable without adding more vertices to induce roughness in the mesh or adding some sort of mapping. As for too vibrant, there is always the option to desaturate. I liked the texture, but really wasnt sure on the color, in anycase, its always possible to get another one. I always keep in mind that if you dont like one texture, getting aother is always an option. When I thought about it, I figured rough stuff for the foundation, inexpensive type material, while the more expensive marble and granite would be used for the top. Same way for roman road foundations actually, rubble as a base with increasing quality as you go up. Well you get the idea.

wyshrn_plat_cent-excellent color choice. I think I might use this to match colors for other pieces that are Ayleid/Imperial City stuff.
wyshrn_pilr_orn2 and wyshrn_pilr_orn-my favorite. Great choice of color. They dont jump out at you and feel awkward despite being colorful. They are just very unique, old, ancient even.

The platform center I followed directly from the texture used for Oblivion(since I actually found a copy to use as direction), lucky I was able to find a perfect one to use as a base. I will say that the altar(and by extension the center texture) was about the most complicated texture I have ever put together, it had like a dozen layers.
cgtextures.com is a wonderful place. I just wish I could spend the money I have on an digital SLR camera and take my own pictures, but unfortunatly thats reserved for the time being.
I at first I was worried the pillars wouldnt match, I spent alot of time trying to even that darned column texture out so there wasnt constant patterns. For good measure, I then went and rotated individual columns after I placed them to make sure it was broken up even further.

As far as the model-great model, very well put together, great job on the uv mapping. Only complaint is the size. This thing will be out in our temperate rainforests and jungles and one of our biggest focuses are filling those with enough plantlife to make it feel real, so we already plan on cutting it close to what some systems can take, especially with mge. Having a large model like this can be taxing. Generally, I shoot to make a model half to 2/3rds of what they were in Oblivion, which is nowhere as difficult as it sounds.

Yea I hear ya, I started off by looking at the Oblivion one and figured out how many sides per cylinder it had. Long story I went with a slightly higher number of 40 instead of 30 just to make it look better. I really dont anticipate making anything else with a large number like this. At one point I even thought of making it nonrounded on purpose just to save on polys, but figured that probably wouldnt look great.
As for filling forests with plant life, I can certainly see how that would be taxing, at least in some areas.

Ugh, I feel like I have rambled on enough.

One other thing, I know you released an Aeylid set on PES I think last year, have you updated the meshes since? By update I mean better textures and UV maps.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 03 Feb 2011, 01:06

I threw those all out pretty much and began to rebuild them. The meshes werent the best, they all were assigned one texture, and I hadnt bothered to do the uv maps. So I just redid them with all of those things done.

Speaking of which, lets get to your modeling preferences.

1-remodeling of things or making brand new models? as in, would you rather create new, never before made pieces from your imagination and our concept art or would you rather remake the things found in oblivion?

2-plantlife or statics?

3-can you/would you be interested in modeling interiors?

Thats all I can think of for now. If you'd like, we still have a number of things that need to be modeled. For starters, you could create some random pieces to be used in Stirks ghetto? Things like trash, lights, decorations, etc. Interested?

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 03 Feb 2011, 01:35

Welcome to the team! :D
I am no salmon – Dagon

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Feb 2011, 04:27

ZackG wrote:I threw those all out pretty much and began to rebuild them. The meshes werent the best, they all were assigned one texture, and I hadnt bothered to do the uv maps. So I just redid them with all of those things done.

Yep main reason I asked, I found em and took a look, and then saw them lacking.

Speaking of which, lets get to your modeling preferences.

1-remodeling of things or making brand new models? as in, would you rather create new, never before made pieces from your imagination and our concept art or would you rather remake the things found in oblivion?

2-plantlife or statics?

3-can you/would you be interested in modeling interiors?

1. I am not that picky, I dont really have a preference at the moment.

2. I am pretty sure plants are statics(unless you meant solid or phantom), so I will assume you meant plants or buildings, in which case my preference is for buildings(although I happen to have experience with both in one form or another, did make a group of 4 oaks once for another project(personal project, not something that could be used for here due to the way they were made)) In the case of exterior meshes, the city walls interest me a bit, I did not like how the Oblivion ones were designed.

3. I am not going to try my hand at interiors quite yet. I have never done any before. I will likely get around to trying though as its not that different from doing exterior ones. If there is any interior that truely strikes me as interesting, its the Aeylid ones, but I realize someone is likely to get to those before I declare anything.

Thats all I can think of for now. If you'd like, we still have a number of things that need to be modeled. For starters, you could create some random pieces to be used in Stirks ghetto? Things like trash, lights, decorations, etc. Interested?

Dont have much of a preference here at the moment. I will see later on. Odds and ends I would probably pick up if something catches my eye.

As for actually getting to model stuff right away, give me a little bit of time and I will eventually come around asking what needs doing.(got other things that need doing and realize there is no rush here)
Really, I think I will end up picking to do what ever I think would look most interesting to see at that point in time. As there isnt a huge competition for doing stuff and things just need doing, anything done will help. I may pick up more defined preferences in the future, but for now its kind of look and see.

Hopefully I touched on everything there.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Oct 2011, 20:39

Figured this would be the best place to post this.
The wayshrine is now complete.
This includes:
4 different ruined platforms(from one top piece missing to most missing, plus broken columns)
6 different pillar pieces(two sets of 3, one with a flat end and one with both ends ruined, small medium and large)
2 pillar top ornament peices(one whole, one ruined)
1 round peice thats from either the top or bottom of a pillar(called pillar base)
4 different chunks from the very top(1 whole piece, 3 different ruined)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/wayshrine%20update.7z

This is a total of 17 meshes(plus 2 texture updates and one new texture), and should be it for anything thats needed for the wayshrine.
Only thing I could see changing after this is an addition of a new texture to replace the ruined surface texture which I used on everything simply so it may blend better. There isnt anything wrong with the current one, but I think something that blends better could be made. For now, this will do fine.

As for the updates, I lightened the dark creased area on one the textures because it stood out too much, I may lighten it some more because I am still not sure on it. I also shrank the texture that applied to teh very top of the wayshrine because its less work loading it that way, and because it wont be seen as much.
So this is all that will be needed for the wayshrine save for mabe some minor updates in the future.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 04 Oct 2011, 21:06

promoted!

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 04 Oct 2011, 22:19

Great stuff, Tarius! Being someone who really ought to be modeling more often I'm really glad we have people like you around turning out such high quality stuff. Helps me sleep better at night :)

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 04 Oct 2011, 22:32

Coolcool

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 05 Oct 2011, 00:21

I'm not a modeller obviously, but those look pretty good to me 8-)

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 05 Oct 2011, 05:17

Well done Tarius!

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 05 Oct 2011, 09:00

I haven't had a look at this but judging from what other people say and your rebuilt ayleid-pieces, you seem to be producing a good quality overall. I guess I must have made a lousy impression by those dodgy tents and hanging cloth-meshes so far. I will try to prove that I can do better though.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Oct 2011, 22:39

Those little bits and pieces bring the province to life Worsas, but if you feel like you should make something more substantial feel free! :scamp:
Project Coordinator

Return to Modder Showcase