Stirk NPCs - Progress Report

Laying out the guidelines for the characters of P:C, their schedules, and their homes.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Stirk NPCs - Progress Report

Postby SamirA » 25 Feb 2013, 19:00

I don't think we need to go quite so far. Unique dialogue is nice, but it serves no real purpose without being attached to a quest or something.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 Feb 2013, 19:16

SamirA wrote:I don't think we need to go quite so far. Unique dialogue is nice, but it serves no real purpose without being attached to a quest or something.

Well I say that if the people who are writing the dialogue are able to reasonably, there isnt a reason not to.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 25 Feb 2013, 20:03

Dialogue and reasonable don't go together in the CS
Project Coordinator

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 26 Feb 2013, 04:51

ha, dialog and the cs barely go together. It's a fairly wonky setup. Makes sense from a certain point, but leaves something to be desired.
Paladin of Vaermina

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Feb 2013, 11:13

I'm keen for some nice regional dialog, like some vague new topics for anvil, gold coast, sutch and stirk, (latest rumors, little secret, etc) then a mere few specific about me topics for special characters. It would be pretty easy, we'd all (we, because I'm keen to do some too) get to write about 3 dialog snippets for each place, then tdf gets to do a few more for characters he makes that the player will get more involved.

unique dialog is overrated, LGNPC's pretty dull, I always thought.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 26 Feb 2013, 17:13

The thing is, all this effort has been put in by me and others to give almost every NPC a background and personality. It would be a bit disappointing if only a few got given unique dialogue. I would like to at least try to give every NPC unique, and then we'll see how it goes from there.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 26 Feb 2013, 17:36

It's up to you.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 05 Mar 2013, 00:29

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:The thing is, all this effort has been put in by me and others to give almost every NPC a background and personality. It would be a bit disappointing if only a few got given unique dialogue. I would like to at least try to give every NPC unique, and then we'll see how it goes from there.

I just think that all this unique character creation is unneeded. Unique dialog for every character causes the dialog boxes to slow down, specially in regards to greetings.

And the aim of this project is to show culture; the jungle life, the two separate cultures, current affairs relating to Cyrodiil, etc.

I'd rather our lines in Stirk be:
"It's a nice island, specially if fishing is your trade. It gets a bit boring at times, however, as it's so far from the mainland that we don't hear any news until the occasaional off duty sailor appears in the tavern. We could be at war with... Akavir! And not know for a week!"

rather than:
"I'm quite the mean one, been on the island starting bar fights and starting riots since an early age. I'll admit, I'm somewhat of an mascot now... I think... Although my father ishalcuma and my mother dufalgabululu are pretty disappointed in me"

One is about the provinces itself, what it's like living there, and it gives you a sense of culture, like you're a part of it. Whilst the other is just about the characters in the mod (many whom may never be spoken to) and makes you feel like an outside looking in.

Just my $00.02.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Mar 2013, 03:53

I think that is a valid point Wolli.
Project Coordinator

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 05 Mar 2013, 05:33

Well, We do need good generic dialog that gives a good feel for the place. And for the people there. Some of the people will have direct dialog for quests and such. But unless we get alot of quest/dialog writers (a veritable rarity) I felt most of the background info was for questing, setting up the politics, fitting interiors to the npc. And creating a look for that npc.

I like unique dialog to an extant. As long as it doesn't grind that part of the province to a halt and/or conflicts with the million and one mods out there. Which unfortunately due to how dialog works means the more you have, the way more likely it is. At least as i understand it.

A whole lot of the fully fleshed out characters will show up in the dialog. Due to politics and quests. But we will also need a WHOLE BUNCH of generic characters as well. Like drunk A, idiot B, and wolli's example of troublemaker C.

Even with large quest groups like a bandit gang. The leader and his second need some background. But ther is no need to know the history of The third guy on the left with the big stick that you just wacked because you saw him first going into the cave.

Stirk is the first city of many. any good backgrounds for characters that don't work out right can always be moved to another town. So all these backrounds will be good in the long run. They can be used somewhere down the line.
Paladin of Vaermina

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Mar 2013, 05:39

Another way to insert some of the character backgrounds could be through the use of letter and journals found in their homes. Most people won't think to read them, but those who do will get all sorts of tid-bits on who the people they interact with really are.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Mar 2013, 05:46

Does anyone really care about the red-shirt?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Mar 2013, 06:01

Tarius wrote:Does anyone really care about the red-shirt?

Come again?
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Mar 2013, 06:27

SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:Does anyone really care about the red-shirt?

Come again?

The red-shirt from startrek that always goes and dies on an away misson. I know I aint that old.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 05 Mar 2013, 16:39

I think Wolli has raised a good point. On the basis of that, I'm leaning towards making P:C dialogue set up similarly to vanilla Morrowind. However, the foundations will be there for a LGNPC / S:HotN style dialogue plug-in which may or may not be developed by me for people who want such a thing.

What do people think about that?
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Mar 2013, 17:49

That works for me TDF.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 06 Mar 2013, 00:15

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:I think Wolli has raised a good point. On the basis of that, I'm leaning towards making P:C dialogue set up similarly to vanilla Morrowind. However, the foundations will be there for a LGNPC / S:HotN style dialogue plug-in which may or may not be developed by me for people who want such a thing.

What do people think about that?

Sounds good.

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 31 May 2013, 17:13

How do SHOTN have it setup that's difference from vanilla?

And what reason is there for TR doing it the way they do?

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 31 May 2013, 21:49

It's easier at TR, I do think.

And SHOTN has unique dialog for heaps of NPCs, like LGNPC's for vanilla.

Previous

Return to Character Development