Character designs

Laying out the guidelines for the characters of P:C, their schedules, and their homes.
Helena
Head of Quests

Character designs

Postby Helena » 06 Oct 2011, 12:45

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the characters I'm designing in the CS. Firstly, levels: At the moment I'm following vanilla MW and giving most of them levels between 5 and 20, with auto-calculated skill levels except in one or two special cases. However, if you want to target the mod at slightly more experienced players, I could always make them a bit stronger. What I definitely don't want to do is follow the Bloodmoon example and have all the random peasants at level 50.

Secondly, AI: I absolutely hate the default 'wander around in circles' AI in the original game. It looks really stupid and ensures that characters regularly end up blocking doors, corridors etc. in interiors. So for the moment I'm setting all of their 'wander' values to 0, meaning they stand still the whole time (guards etc. will obviously be an exception). Again, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thirdly: heads. I'm quickly running out of unique head/hair combinations for the Imperial characters, and I haven't even made all that many yet. So I was wondering, should I start scouring resource packs for new heads/hairs and picking some out to use in the game? Obviously I'd check anything I wanted to use with you guys first.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Re: Character designs

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 06 Oct 2011, 16:55

Outside people should be wandering around. Inside, probably not. Just make sure nobody wanders through the Stirk gates because they'll probably get stuck and stop the PC getting in or out.

That is my opinion anyway. Cities where everyone outside stands still would look odd.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 06 Oct 2011, 22:39

Yeah TDF's suggestion sounds fine, though a few insiders can wander and a few outsiders can stand. As for levels, I would like for people to be able to play Cyrodiil with a fresh character if they so choose, but at the same time expect them to be experienced. With Stirk being our starting point in Cyrodiil I would like for it to be similar to the Seyda Neen area, but perhaps beef the levels ever so slightly and as we move from region to region we will continue this trend with both NPC's and creatures. This will give us a slightly tougher game, but one that you could start out in and not simply be bludgeoned to death by everything. With the amount of regions we have the final region's scaling could make for a nice challenge.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Oct 2011, 06:05

It would be nice if we could have random people spawn out of sight of the player walk somewhere and than disappear, again, out of sight.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 07 Oct 2011, 08:28

I think merchants outside, and those with quests should stand still, rest can walk.

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 07 Oct 2011, 09:38

Tarius wrote:It would be nice if we could have random people spawn out of sight of the player walk somewhere and than disappear, again, out of sight.

Have you played Starfire's NPC additions? She had a mod with MCA style NPCs (with good names and without all the gay stuff), and rarely some NPCs would dissappear in front of your eyes by recalling IIRC, which was just plain great.

Don't think she ever finished it, which is a god-damn shame.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Oct 2011, 22:07

dirnae wrote:
Tarius wrote:It would be nice if we could have random people spawn out of sight of the player walk somewhere and than disappear, again, out of sight.

Have you played Starfire's NPC additions? She had a mod with MCA style NPCs (with good names and without all the gay stuff), and rarely some NPCs would dissappear in front of your eyes by recalling IIRC, which was just plain great.

Don't think she ever finished it, which is a god-damn shame.

Actually, I did the MCA names add-on for the latest version of the mod. Its on PES and TESNexus.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Return to Character Development