Lairah Hawker - Shauriaad

Laying out the guidelines for the characters of P:C, their schedules, and their homes.
DJGamer
Mad God

Lairah Hawker - Shauriaad

Postby DJGamer » 29 Aug 2011, 15:40

A Dunmer woman adopted at a young age by Redguard parents she is the first and only non-Redguard to ever become part of the Tatu-Jumbei, the three leaders of the Kali Mes. Her role as Shauriaad is to be an adviser to both the Ra-Jumbei and Onder-Jumbei as well as a mediator in matters in which either their respective roles may cross over or they might otherwise come into conflict with each other.

She has filled the role of Shauriaad for over half a century, by far the longest term ever served by anyone in the Tatu-Jumbei, who can be voted out of their office via majority vote by the Bwanei. Obviously, she is well-liked and respected by the Bwanei and the Askari as well.

In recent years however she has become unsatisfied with her position. Shauriaad is the only Tatu-Jumbei position that has ever been occupied by a woman (and typically has been, even before Lariah took the role), but her ambition has always been to lead. True, her current position gives her some indirect authority in all matters big (handled by the Ra-Jumbei) and small (handled by the Onder-Jumbei), and all Tatu-Jumbei are considered equals to some extent but everyone knows, even if they don't speak it, that the Ra-Jumbei is at the very least the figurehead leader of the Kali Mes.

To some extent she seeks to prove herself both as a woman and a Dunmer, but she also feels she would manage things better than Irgolann, the current Ra Jumbei. She feels Igrolann is being too indecisive with the matter of the territorial dispute between Cyrodiil and Hammerfell and feels strongly that the full integration of Sutch into Hammerfell would be in the best interests of the Kali Mes.

In the past few years she has been plotting a way to replace Irgolann as Ra-Jumbei. The only way to do it "properly" is to convince the Bwanei that he is unfit to lead them and then that she should be leading in his place in the following re-election. It's likely that she'll enlist the help of the player to put the finishing touches on her plans.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Re: Lairah Hawker - Shauriaad

Postby DJGamer » 30 Aug 2011, 18:37

ZackG wrote:In the kali Mes' original discussion we talked about how they were so successful in their operations because of the question marks surrounding who was to police them that they got away with many more things. I think that would be the best way to go. And Id further question why anybody in the kali Mes who has any knowledge of the overview of their operations and the political situation of Sutch would ever try to suggest tilting Sutch towards anything different. Their focus should be on maintaining what they have and sabotaging any sort of decision, convincing either through bribery or discreet force that no politician need make a decision.

I'm going to respond to this post primarily here since I'd like to try and elaborate on Lairah's reasons for wanting Sutch to become part of Hammerfell rather than Cyrodiil or working towards leaving things the same.

First off, and I believe I made this point before I think that Lairah may be concerned regarding the possibility of the two provinces coming to an agreement and starting a joint operation to deal with the Kali Mes. This could either be simply a fear she has, or there could be something actually happening. If we go the route of making this a Blades infiltration quest, it's possible that their objective is to access things in order to determine if a joint operation would be worth trying to come to a compromise.

Since they have more ties to the Hammerfellian side of things Lairah would consider it to be the "lesser of two evils". Even if we decide not to go with the possibility of a joint operation, it could still be the case that the political discussion has reached a point where a decision to make Sutch entirely part of one province or the other is inevitable and no amount of interference will really do them any good in the long run. The best they can hope for is to manipulate the decision in the direction that Lairah believes would work more in their favor.

Yet another reason I've come up with is simply that Lairah isn't content with the Kali Mes operating solely out of Sutch and believes it is time to "expand". This is obviously a risky proposition but to her it's better than the present stagnant state of things. The fact that political discussions are happening and a conclusion is inevitable could still play a role as well, this would merely be added on top of it.

This could also play into the idea of the vampire infestation of the sewers and a possible underground route to Rihad. The whole thing could tie together like that rather nicely.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Sep 2011, 15:37

An extension of her biography I recently came up with:

Born in Rihad, her biological father was killed at the hands of pirates and her mother died from complications during childbirth. She was adopted and named by friends of the family who were of course Redguards and gave decided to give her a Redguard name (partly because they weren't familiar enough with Dunmer culture to come up with a suitable name). They were part of the local Thieves Guild until they were caught and forced to flee the city, ultimately taking refuge in Sutch and becoming members of the Kali Mes.

At this point in time both her parents have long since passed away but her Redguard upbringing is a well-known fact and something that has allowed her to overcome most of the prejudices she would otherwise have to face.

Only roughly 15% of the Kali Mes are non-Redguard and of that group you could count the number of Mer that have ever been members easily on one hand. It is no small feat that she managed to become part of the Tatu-Jumbei but it will be an even greater feat for her to ascend to Ra-Jumbei-which will set a number of precedents:

• The first non-Redguard to hold the position (she is already the first non-Redguard to hold any position in the Tatu-Jumbei).
  • The first woman to occupy any role in the Tatu-Jumbei besides Shauriaad.
  • The second recorded instance of a Tatu-Jumbei switching from one role to another.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 17 Jul 2012, 21:12

Another tiny little detail I've come up with:

She has copies of a few books on Morrowind and Dunmer culture contained within a locked chest in her personal quarters. While she considers herself a Redguard, she still has an interest in her race of blood-though she obviously prefers that fact to not be well-known publicly.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Return to Character Development