Armor styles of Cyrodiil

Discussion of weapons and armor.
Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Armor styles of Cyrodiil

Postby Saint_Jiub » 13 Apr 2012, 22:25

Here are the sets we have currently planned or made, but comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated. Armors will be available for download at the bottom of this page as I complete them.

Lower-class armors:
===============

Hide Armor- n/a

While this armor is highly valuable and sought after in other provinces, the large cats that lurk Cyrodiil's forests are common enough that nearly every adventurer has a set, if not acquired with gold then with steel. Despite its relatively low value within the borders of Cyrodiil, it is a handsome set, made from dark, supple leather and bordered with lion's fur.

Newtscale Armor- n/a

As popular in Black Marsh and the swamps of southern Vvardenfell as it is in the heartland, this armor is made from the scales of the river newts of Cyrodiil's waterways, giving it a distinctive green hue. A popular alternative to leather or fur, for the scaly hide is cooler in the sweltering heat of the jungle.

Colovian Fur Armor- https://www.dropbox.com/s/48i7grfstltn8 ... ianfur.JPG (Concept)

Practical, yet stylish.

Middle-class armors:
===============

Colovian Iron Armor- https://www.dropbox.com/s/g054p6w0zvbjh ... %20011.png

With its practical design, sturdy construction, and relatively inexpensive make, this armor is a favorite amongst adventurers and sellswords. The set originated as a uniform for the Guild of Fighters, but the modern organization has no such requirement and use of the armor has spread far beyond the confines of the guild.

Nibenese Chain Mail- n/a

An offshoot of the Nibenese tradition that originally led to creation of mithril, this suit evolved over time as low-quality metal was substituted for silk and the rings became smaller and more tightly woven. Not as valuable or as durable as true mithril, many armorers sneer at it, equating it to the fool's-gold jewelry worn by lesser merchants and noblemen in an effort to mask their low station.

Studded Leather Armor- n/a

Originally developed by the Legion for use in Hammerfell and Elsweyr, where knights in heavy plate ran the risk of being cooked alive in their armor, it eventually filtered into the general public and can now be found from Chorrol to Cheydinhal. For the dungeon-delver who has more courage than coin, it is a godsend.

Upper-class armors:
===============

Akaviri Dragonscale Armor- n/a

Colovian Steel Armor- https://www.dropbox.com/s/g53gybbcixj9u ... %20007.png

Reflecting the Colovian martial tradition of honor, duty, and seriousness, this armor is common among the nobility of the West, frequently worn by knights and warlords. The lighter armor on the arms and legs allows a greater range of motion for the warrior, while still providing protection for his most vulnerable targets.

Ancient Ayleid Armor- n/a

Nibenese Bronze Armor- https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyn8a6qn2un4m ... %20012.png

The armor styles found in eastern Cyrodiil are as colorful and varied as the Nibenese themselves. It is not uncommon to see knights and noblemen strutting down the streets of the Imperial City in their armor of polished bronze plate, adorned with sashes of bright silk in their household colors, the pelts of native beasts, and depictions of the warrior's patron god-animal on their helm.

Mithril Armor- n/a

Of all the styles of armor found in Cyrodiil, none is more treasured than mithril, which translated from the Nedic miith ii riil means "storied strength of moth-carried ancestors". As old as the culture of the Imperials themselves, the methods of crafting this silken ringmail have been lost to the ages, making intact pieces (to say nothing of complete sets) near-priceless to collectors and historians.

Legion Uniforms:
==============

(screens/descriptions will be added later)

Imperial Chain Armor

Imperial Steel Armor

Imperial Templar Armor

Imperial Silver Armor

Imperial Palace Guard Armor

Town Guard Armor

DOWNLOAD:
=========
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ubbqa9vap8ea ... 0Armor.zip
Last edited by Saint_Jiub on 11 Jan 2013, 07:06, edited 10 times in total.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Armor styles of Cyrodiil?

Postby Tarius » 13 Apr 2012, 23:37

I like this, its a good idea.
Despite making a ton of models, I likely wont be the one to do armor, however.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 14 Apr 2012, 08:58

That's fine, I was planning on cobbling it together out of vanilla models (or custom models already available on PES) anyway. The helmet is the only part of that bronze armor that doesn't use one of the vanilla armor meshes.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 14 Apr 2012, 22:28

don't forget about Bob's armory. I'm not sure whats in there exactly, but i know SHOTN used alot of the meshes for Skyrim's medieval-esk armor.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Apr 2012, 05:57

Good idea, thanks :) Finding unique helmet models is the most challenging part.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 15 Apr 2012, 10:21

agreed, i always get stumped there...

don't forget to check my resource list actually, there might be some there now that i think of it!

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 15 Apr 2012, 11:23

I really like all those ideas.

Lord Andres Indoril

Postby Lord Andres Indoril » 15 Apr 2012, 12:00

I'd probably be quite fond of the bronze armor if the helmets were open. Either without the lower jaw of the animal or with an open mouth.
Best wishes,
Lord Andres Indoril the Mad.

Lord Andres Indoril's Blogwoggofmoddywoddy.

Revenant
P:C Legend

Postby Revenant » 15 Apr 2012, 14:06

Saint_Jiub wrote:Finding unique helmet models is the most challenging part.

Then commision one :) a helmet model is one of the easier armour pieces to make. I like the colour scheme and leopard skin on the nibenese stuff - the leopard face mask is a nice touch too (could be a ceremonial set commemorating one of the old animal worshipping religions) - or connected to a sect that grew out of animal worship originally.

It just looks cool, ultimately.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: Armor styles of Cyrodiil

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Apr 2012, 20:47

Ideally, my vision for the bronze armor (which is available for download from the OP now) would be to have maybe 3 sets, each with an animalistic theme (because as you say, the intention is that they're connected to the numerous cults of the Nibenese east). Obviously, this one represents a leopard. If anyone is interested in doing some modeling, I'd like a bull helm (something akin to this), a dragon (reference), and a wolf (reference).

And if anyone wants to make an open-faced version of the leopard helmet, that'd be great, unfortunately the model is all one mesh and my modelling skills are nonexistent.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 16 Apr 2012, 04:03

Some of the texturing could use a bit of work to blend better with the atmosphere of TES III. Dirty them up a bit and remove the shine. The robe parts need to have some cloth texture added to them and could do with being a bit desaturated.

As a start it is really good though. I like where you are going with this stuff and weapons/armor are nice additions to Cyrodiil. Clothing as well. We already have a nice set of Colovian Prince armor from the PGE1 art and it just needs a few tweaks to be put in game.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 16 Apr 2012, 08:23

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, how's this for a first go at the newtscale? I'm using quorn's newtscale set resource, touched up obviously. Not all pieces are represented here.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 16 Apr 2012, 10:41

Saint_Jiub wrote:Ok, I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, how's this for a first go at the newtscale? I'm using quorn's newtscale set resource, touched up obviously. Not all pieces are represented here.

I prefer the vanilla newtscale look.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Apr 2012, 15:17

SamirA wrote:Some of the texturing could use a bit of work to blend better with the atmosphere of TES III. Dirty them up a bit and remove the shine. The robe parts need to have some cloth texture added to them and could do with being a bit desaturated.

As a start it is really good though. I like where you are going with this stuff and weapons/armor are nice additions to Cyrodiil. Clothing as well. We already have a nice set of Colovian Prince armor from the PGE1 art and it just needs a few tweaks to be put in game.

I thought the shine was nice.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 16 Apr 2012, 21:27

Not when it is static in one spot on the armor. If it were more like Revenants new Imperial helm texture then yes.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Apr 2012, 22:06

SamirA wrote:Not when it is static in one spot on the armor. If it were more like Revenants new Imperial helm texture then yes.

Ah, thats true.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 16 Apr 2012, 23:57

Revenant wrote:

Can you be more specific? Criticism is appreciated, but only if it's something that I can actually use to improve the work :P

EDIT: SamirA, where could I find that Imperial helmet you mentioned? I didn't see it in the P:C data files, and I'd like to get an idea of the style you guys are going for.

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 17 Apr 2012, 15:18

I don't know if the helmet has been uploaded somewhere, but I think Samir was referring to the one seen in this picture.
I am no salmon – Dagon

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 17 Apr 2012, 18:30

Saint_Jiub wrote:
Revenant wrote:

Can you be more specific? Criticism is appreciated, but only if it's something that I can actually use to improve the work :P

I wasn't offering critique on it (specifically refering to the newtscale cuirass). We're not aiming to replace vanilla Morrowind textures with retextures. I only just noticed the pauldrons. While it's inevitable that we're going to have a few retextures of vanilla models we should try to avoid it as much as possible especially with the more commonly used models as they tend to stand out as looking rather "moddy" - noticably rextex'd.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Apr 2012, 21:41

What Revenant says is true. Vanilla models will remain as they are since they are already retexed so many times and everyone has their own favorites. We do aim to create new stuff in higher detail though. New armor is a needed addition, for a reference of how we want things to "feel" look at the stirk guard armor that is in PC_Data. The other cities will all match this style of armor as well. The tone of that armor fits the vanilla game very well and these are things we look for.

One thing to note Jiub is that you can make designs for conceptual work as well. We have modellers that can make pieces if a reference is given. Such as the helms you were speaking of for the Nibenese armor, I imagine Revenant could make something rather nice based on reference photos and even simple ideas in writing or rough sketch. In fact he designed a piece of art which we will turn into a creature based off of me telling him we wanted something "magical" for a creature in the Ayleid ruins. You will find that many of the people here complement each other well and using each other will result in a greater final product.
Project Coordinator

Next

Return to Weapons & Armor