Armor styles of Cyrodiil

Discussion of weapons and armor.
MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Re: Armor styles of Cyrodiil

Postby MoonAndStar » 25 Jan 2014, 21:55

Sorry for my incessant posting, but I'm in exams period and this is me procrastinating. sue me :P

Anyways, the purpose of this post is shields. just a couple of pictures.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 26 Jan 2014, 02:55

I like these for Colovia, they tie into the Roman aesthetic obviously, but we can also connect them visually to the painted wooden shields of Skyrim like the guards use, so there's that pseudo-Nord theme as well. If someone is up for some modeling work, I can do textures based on these easily enough.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 26 Jan 2014, 06:03

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 26 Jan 2014, 14:42

Dude, I love that.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 26 Jan 2014, 18:35

This colovian armor and shields could be given modelling-claims, if everybody agrees that they would be a good idea to have.

Also the legion-discussion needs to be led to a conclusion we can work off (so the skirts and whatever is needed, can be made). Oblivion did not show the different legions, TES:O won't either. So there is little chance somebody will proof us wrong if we just come up with something on our own outside of existing information.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 26 Jan 2014, 18:53

Yeah we need to get the discussions of those things down to the in-game portions and how they will be reflected outside of the lore books and stuff. As for claims, I want to discuss things with you before proceeding on making claims.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Jan 2014, 22:34

Looks ok to me, but I personally would not be caught dead with one of those brightly colored shields.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Jan 2014, 00:10

You would probably be put to the sword by someone carrying one then. The late Romans used shields like those.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Jan 2014, 00:39

SamirA wrote:You would probably be put to the sword by someone carrying one then. The late Romans used shields like those.

Actually yes, I do know that the Romans are the ones who carried them. I mean for something like an individual adventurer type person.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Jan 2014, 00:46

Yeah, outside of the legion it is a bit garish. But then again, we don't use colors that bright, more washed out and faded so it will look cooler imo.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 27 Jan 2014, 04:58

Worsas wrote:This colovian armor and shields could be given modelling-claims, if everybody agrees that they would be a good idea to have.

Also the legion-discussion needs to be led to a conclusion we can work off (so the skirts and whatever is needed, can be made). Oblivion did not show the different legions, TES:O won't either. So there is little chance somebody will proof us wrong if we just come up with something on our own outside of existing information.
I still vote that the town guard armors should be used for small villages and patrols as well. I mean, under the umbrella of legion gear we're already going to have:

Studded Leather
Chain
Steel
Templar
Colovian Town Guard
Nibenese Town Guard
Silver
Duke's Guard
Dragonscale

I think having a bunch of unique legions on top of that is overkill. We should either go the Oblivion route and just have one common uniform for all guards outside the county seats themselves, or else use the preexisting county armors.

That's my take on it anyhow.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 01 Feb 2014, 16:00

3.bp.blogspot.com/_SYbOKLYHlTU/TOB38CJlmXI/AAAAAAAAASQ/dvI_zOZZdSM/s1600/Byzantine%2Barmor.jpg

This one would be cool for an artifact, like the Cuirass of King Rislav or something.

MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Postby MoonAndStar » 15 Feb 2014, 20:58

I like this helmet for cheap iron or steel armor.

Last edited by MoonAndStar on 20 Feb 2014, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 16 Feb 2014, 07:55

SamirA wrote:Yeah, I'm fine with including some horns in a primitive Cyro-nordic armor, but they should not point straight up. Having things be weird and intriguing, doesn't mean going overly large and fantastic on everything. This is one situation that actually looks pretty generic fantasy rather than TES. Sure it is better than Oblivion which was basically a conglomeration of our own Middle Ages, but it isn't anything truly unique.

Um, have you seen the pauldrons on the Dunmer armors? Unless they're doing a sideways crab shuffle through doorways, I don't think realism is a huge concern here.

The horns on my helmet aren't much bigger than those on the Helm of Yngol, which was my primary inspiration - nor, for that matter, the truly epic plumage on top of the Indoril helmet. I was striving for something evocative of Nordic armor with the horns, while having a more modern/refined aspect to it. I think it misses the point to just throw up a pair of ram's horns and call it a day.

Vanilla Morrowind's Imperials are literally bursting at the seams with medieval/fantasy visual influences, so similar themes are going into my work.The trick is to take generic fantasy and put a spin on it that's new and interesting - whether I've succeeded in this particular case is up for debate, but generally speaking, that's where I'm coming from. Bottom line, we need to work those medieval themes into our new stuff, otherwise there's going to be a jarring disconnect between vanilla content and our own.

Just my two cents.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Feb 2014, 19:13

Saint_Jiub wrote:
SamirA wrote:Yeah, I'm fine with including some horns in a primitive Cyro-nordic armor, but they should not point straight up. Having things be weird and intriguing, doesn't mean going overly large and fantastic on everything. This is one situation that actually looks pretty generic fantasy rather than TES. Sure it is better than Oblivion which was basically a conglomeration of our own Middle Ages, but it isn't anything truly unique.

Um, have you seen the pauldrons on the Dunmer armors? Unless they're doing a sideways crab shuffle through doorways, I don't think realism is a huge concern here.

The horns on my helmet aren't much bigger than those on the Helm of Yngol, which was my primary inspiration - nor, for that matter, the truly epic plumage on top of the Indoril helmet. I was striving for something evocative of Nordic armor with the horns, while having a more modern/refined aspect to it. I think it misses the point to just throw up a pair of ram's horns and call it a day.

Vanilla Morrowind's Imperials are literally bursting at the seams with medieval/fantasy visual influences, so similar themes are going into my work.The trick is to take generic fantasy and put a spin on it that's new and interesting - whether I've succeeded in this particular case is up for debate, but generally speaking, that's where I'm coming from. Bottom line, we need to work those medieval themes into our new stuff, otherwise there's going to be a jarring disconnect between vanilla content and our own.

Just my two cents.

But that "epic plummage" is entirely ornate and cerimonial in nature. I would expect armor like this to be more practical. If you need horns, I agree with samira that they should not be pointing straight up and I am in favor of downward pointing horns.

Previous

Return to Weapons & Armor