Cyrodiil Gallery of Fauna

Discussion of plants and animals.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Cyrodiil Gallery of Fauna

Postby Tarius » 04 Jun 2013, 00:06

Wollibeebee wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufted_deer
Please, please please?

We can call it the wolli deer, or a wolliby...wait a moment...
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 04 Jun 2013, 02:37

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chital

I like these guys, personally.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 04 Jun 2013, 03:28

Saint_Jiub wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chital

I like these guys, personally.

They certainly fit Cyrodiil better. I've ordered Berandas to make the Tufted Deer. :P

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 31 Jul 2013, 20:42

Nibenese horse (now referring to it as Vermilinguas Cyrodiilica or Cyrodiilic Wormtongue) v2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x255bt0nm5lg7jt/eqlingua.png

I tried a few variations of capybara-esque feet as suggested earlier in this thread, but it just ended up looking really wonky. Colors are dark brown (almost black) on rusty red, to mimic the pattern of mangrove shadows and roots on the riverbank.

The antlers are a new addition, they're used by the wormtongue to break apart termite mounds and get to the good stuff inside, as well as for mating displays and self-defense.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2013, 21:00

The horns are a bit too much. Makes it seem like a mutant deer rather than some strange horse variety. Drop those and going with the dark color and overall design could be cool.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Jul 2013, 21:41

Looks like a cross between an ant eater and a zebra. Its a Zanteabra! I think we should go with a regular horse face but have the stripes and the horns.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2013, 21:44

A regular horse with a Zebra pattern and horns? Zanteabra without the horns is more unique, yet still horselike. Antlers are just too off-putting and say deer more than anything. We would end up with something looking like a striped caribou.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 31 Jul 2013, 22:50

I like the entire thing. Horns and all.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 01 Aug 2013, 03:01

Anty dear, I missed you.....level up marksman level up marksman!
Paladin of Vaermina

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 28 Aug 2013, 06:00

Revision to my last post- I'm going to say that we should use the anteabra or whatever as just a general passive deer-type creature. I found a reference in Tiber Septim's Sword Meeting with Cyrus tonight to the Emperor riding a "bat-horse", and while it would need a cooler name than that I'm completely sold on the concept. I'm thinking something built similarly to this guy?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 28 Aug 2013, 06:03

I'm totally down for that. Someone please go find us a creature modeler...
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Aug 2013, 18:04

Well, bat-horse leaves something to be desired but that creature looks a little too different from it. I would think it would be closer to a pegasus.
How about the wings being attached to the front legs and the four legs being more arm like but still recognizably from a horse, at least on the rear. The front could be hooves, but perhaps on the back of the "legs" there, you would find a couple fingers like a bat.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 23 Jun 2014, 23:35

Concepts for passive fauna: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqt2cl4a77yzd ... dfauna.JPG

A- v2 of an earlier concept, a dwarf mammoth originally domesticated by First Empire Nords and later by the Colovians. Used for beef, milk, leather, and ivory. Domesticated variants have their tusks capped and are branded. Eats grass, hay, etc.

B- Colovian bighorn, domesticated and used for wool and mutton. Domesticated variants are collared. Eats grass and hay as well as tree leaves.

C- Ancestor moth. Not sure much needs to be said here.

D- River newt, native to Nibenay and used for hides and alchemical ingredients (eye of newt, anyone?). Eats small insects and fish in the river.

E- Zantebra, native to Nibenay and domesticated for use as pack beasts. Eats the termite mounds built along the riverbanks.

F- Pygmy Troll, smaller and more timid than its more aggressive cousin. Nocturnal and largely keeps to the trees and mangrove thickets. Eats shoots and leaves, bugs and smaller animals. Sensitive to fire.

The tantha would also fit into this category, and is a Colovian species.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jun 2014, 00:25

Ok, A is an elephant, or an arrdvark. D looks kinda like a polywog. E for Zanteabra. B looks like a wan ton from starwars. F, seriously, give this guy wings and we are only a short way from the wizard of oz.

I see nothing wrong here. Carry on.

Comment on F, it would be scary if these had glowey red eyes and traveled around in packs making monkey howl sounds.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 24 Jun 2014, 10:06

Those little trolls are spot on, Saint_Jiub. Great work!

For those who are interested, I had a background written up for these kind of monkey-trolls in TR's Bestiary:
The Petty Troll
A diminutive cousin of the western troll, these small three-eyed monkeys can be encountered in southern Pellitine and along the Niben river valley. Originally forest dwellers, these creatures have in recent times moved into the cities, where they are regarded as a pest the likes of rats or street dogs. Packs of petty trolls have been known to rob market stands, attack passersby and, though not carnivorous, they have developed a sinister reputation for cradle-robbing. In the Nibenese totem-worship, the petty troll is considered a minor animal spirit, protector of inexperienced thieves and the more vulgar sort of bandits.

EJRS
P:C Modder

Postby EJRS » 24 Jun 2014, 16:59

I haven't really had the time to be active on this forum, but I had some spontaneous ideas when looking through this thread.

It seems like a popular concept that birds or bird-like creatures would be featured as wildlife. Personally, I think this is a great idea. I think the key to what made the wildlife of TES3 so fascinating was that it totally left behind the familiar fauna dominated by regular birds and four-legged mammals, but featured creatures with enough familiar features and characteristics to still feel real. The thing that came to mind here: why not play on the theory that most dinosaurs had colourful feathers as inspiration (additional inspiration)?
I think this could lead to some interesting familiar-yet-alien creatures.

I also think that it might be a good idea to come up with some core themes, in the same vein as TES3 relied mainly on either insectiod or dinosaur-like creatures for the wildlife, to create a more solid beleivability and consistency.
From what has been discussed in this thread, most suggestions tends to fall into the categories of:
-Four-legged mammals with interesting fur-patterns
-Colourful bird-like creatures
-Lizards
-Furry humanoids (trolls etc...love the suggested petty troll!)
I think those four categories could be great as guidelines for creating the Nibenese wildlife (note:wildlife, not daedra and other creatures). Does establishing a framework/guidelines in this fashion make sense to anyone else?

Oh, and as for the bird-men, they are mentioned as learning with "taloned feet, to write". This gives me the impression that they are something like the russian sirin, i.e armless.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 28 Jun 2014, 04:26

EJRSR- Yep, that basically sums up the design philosophy I've been following for a while now. In that vein, have some more wildlife, this time predators: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8d2fz5b6f2zmp7/cyrodpred.JPG

These guys don't have names because naming things is hard. Also, the one on the bottom left is probably going to get revisited at some point because I'm not terribly pleased with the end result but whatevs :P

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 28 Jun 2014, 11:05

I really like the bony (?) ridge on the bottom left one. I was thinking about the Simurgh recently: would make a good name for one of these birds (or simoorg, simourv, senmuruy, sina-mru, Kerkes, Samran, Samruk - check out the article for more spelling variations)

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Jun 2014, 15:30

Infragris wrote:I really like the bony (?) ridge on the bottom left one. I was thinking about the Simurgh recently: would make a good name for one of these birds (or simoorg, simourv, senmuruy, sina-mru, Kerkes, Samran, Samruk - check out the article for more spelling variations)

Lets not make the names too foreign sounding. I would think they should still sound imperial.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 05 Jul 2014, 16:37

Saroucis, Samranius, Samruc, Xerces etc :)

PreviousNext

Return to Flora & Fauna