Claim Map Icons

Find all the claim maps here.
DJGamer
Mad God

Claim Map Icons

Postby DJGamer » 16 Jan 2013, 19:11

Just discovered I left one out of the key I posted earlier. I recently found a folder where I saved the individual icons so I'll just post them here. I also intend on making new ones on request.

Ayleid Ruin:

Barrow:

Camp:

Cave:

City:

Daedra Shrine:

Doomstone:

Dwemer Ruin:

Farm:

Fort:

Ruined Fort:

House/Town/Settlement:

Inn:

Landmark:

Sawmill:

Shack/Small House:

Stable:

Mine:

Wayshrine:

Wheat/Windmill:

Ones not included in the original post were the "landmark" icon (which I think just didn't appear on the Gold Coast map) the "camp" icon (which I may not have included since the camps probably aren't set up in the same places) and a new icon I just created for barrows.

To give credit where it's due, the icons originated from this map, I simply isolated them, cleaned up the JPEG artifacts and converted them to PNG files.

The barrow icon is the only thing I created mostly on my own, though it's still based on the same style and the icon itself was taken from UESP's Skyrim articles.

Update 1/18/13: Added new icons for farms, saw/wheat mills, stables, Dwemer ruins (in case we include them in some form), shacks and ruined forts.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Re: Claim Map Icons

Postby Scamp » 16 Jan 2013, 20:03

I'm diggin' that barrow icon. I mean, obviously it has the shape of a Nord barrow, but it's only an icon in the end, and it serves its purpose.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 22:34

Thanks DJ, these are all great. Another one to note would be camps, we likely shall never add a camp form Oblivion, but we have a lot of our own camps, and if we ever want to add one to the map, the icon would be useful.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Jan 2013, 23:07

Could have some larger camps, too. Lots o' bandits an' loot and all that.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 16 Jan 2013, 23:31

Updated my OP with the camp icon and some extra info on where I got the original icons from. I think I also used the map to help a little bit with figuring out roughly where everything should be.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 23:49

DJGamer wrote:Updated my OP with the camp icon and some extra info on where I got the original icons from. I think I also used the map to help a little bit with figuring out roughly where everything should be.

Thanks DJ, we currently have 3 camps, so I can add it to the map. But I think the camp icon will mostly be for intended camps required for quests.

I actually used the online oblivion map for all the other regions, it's amazing the difference in scale, but it gave me a bit more freedom.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 18 Jan 2013, 19:10

Expanded the icon set further. Skyrim featured a somewhat more diverse set of location icons than Oblivion and they're still generic enough to not feel out of place. The only icon I didn't port directly was the "shack" icon, which was rendered from an angle which gave it a "3D" look which clashes too much with our more two-dimensional icon scheme. So this is probably the very first icon I designed entirely from scratch.

The wind and sawmills I'm not sure whether we would include-for a couple reasons: The obvious being that some of these things may be unique to the region of Skyrim, the perhaps slightly less obvious being that Skyrim is set two centuries after MW/OB and these may constitute "technological advancements". The second point may be slightly more true of sawills, while the first may be more true of windmills. Still, they're nice to have and if SHotN wants to use them they can feel free-same goes for the Dwemer icon.

Speaking of which, I might make a new thread regarding that at some point if one doesn't exist already. I recall we had some discussion regarding it in the past, but I'm uncertain whether there was a dedicated thread for it. I'll reserve further talk on the subject for that thread.

The stable and farm icons will almost certainly be useful as will the new shack icon. The ruined fort icon was made at Wolli's request. I'm still not sure if it looks as good as I'd like it to but at least it gets the point across.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Jan 2013, 19:28

Neat. There should definitely be some windmills around even at this time. ShotN has windmills in Karthwasten, so it would make no sense for the Imperials not to have any.

Though, I think our landmass is a bit large for it to make sense to mark simple shacks on the map, don't you think? It's no biggie though, now that you put the effort into it :mrgreen:

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 18 Jan 2013, 19:51

Scamp wrote:Neat. There should definitely be some windmills around even at this time. ShotN has windmills in Karthwasten, so it would make no sense for the Imperials not to have any.

Though, I think our landmass is a bit large for it to make sense to mark simple shacks on the map, don't you think? It's no biggie though, now that you put the effort into it :mrgreen:

Well, in Skyrim the "Shack" icon is used for various small houses out in the wilderness so I amended the description as such. Obviously any small building built near a ruin or other marked location should be considered simply part of that location. "Shacks" would count as any dwelling or other building that's simply out there in the middle of the wilderness.

For example, Anise's Cabin in Skyrim is considered a "shack" (and the first that most players encounter). The page also features the icon which will give you an even better idea of why I chose not to use it.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 15 Apr 2013, 01:25

"DJgamer, could we get a landmark icon? Also, I'm not to happy about the barrows icon, maybe we could have something a little less nord, and more Colovian (to contrast the eventual Nibenese dungeons.)"

Just realized you've done it, thanks DJ! (Also, I've been making a Valenwood and Highrock claim map the same as these, we may see all of Tamriel in your layout one day. :D )

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 15 Apr 2013, 05:35

I think the Dwemer ruin icon should be a pair of gears/cogs.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Return to Claim Maps