Claim Map (Supreme Master Commander)

Find all the claim maps here.
Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Claim Map (Supreme Master Commander)

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 10:30

Why does this need a new thread? Because the others aren't owned by very active members specifically involved in exteriors, whilst this one can be easily edited by me and Scamp.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 ... rodiil.jpg

Just link to here in every claim thread from now on Scamp, to keep it updated.

Sub-regions coming soon!
Last edited by Wollibeebee on 23 May 2013, 03:57, edited 5 times in total.

Wollibeebee

Re: Claim Map (Supreme Master Commander)

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 10:31

Aight, that's done. Now does anyone have anything worth adding to the map? Locations from lore but not Oblivion (Like Mir Corrup is.)

And what do we name the 3 Aylied ruins around Stirk? (Is there anything else, such as caves, near Stirk, Scamp?)

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 16 Jan 2013, 13:50

No offense, Wolli, but that map should get rethought from ground up. It is behind your vision of Cyrodiil.

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/ ... rowind.jpg

This is what Bethesda was going to do with Morrowind before they decided they wanted to 'start from scratch'. I'm not saying you should screw the landmass or anything, though.

I really think, we should actually come up with ideas for regions, villages and locations. Otherwise this is only going to be a stretched version of the Cyrodiil from Oblivion and not appropriate for the world-detail of MW.

Edit: That said, I do not know how strict you were going to take this map anyway. Only a reminder of (necessary?) landmarks?

alex25

Postby alex25 » 16 Jan 2013, 14:57

Surely the regions and major cities are fine as they are on the map(?). More smaller things like caves, farms, mines, inns, ayelid ruins and forts should totally be added (not too many new ayelid ruins and forts since the map already feels filled with them) but I don't see any reason to change big things like regions or cities.

And while we're discussing this: are we going to keep the red ring road bridge near fort Alessia? Because with the new size and the fact that ships can't pass through its going to look pretty odd standing there.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 16 Jan 2013, 15:22

Scrap what I said. It would have been the wrong place to discuss this anyway.

Only this: I was not going to suggest different cities. The regions in Cyrodiil are rather huge though and could use some diversification (which again has been discussed already but never made it into solid decision).

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 16 Jan 2013, 16:14

Just a few tips.

• Any resizing of the map should uses nearest neighbor filter for resampling, especially if you want to retain the image format.
  • If you're using Photoshop, set the text to "none" in the drop-down box that normally says "sharp". This turns off anti-aliasing for text which in turn will further help to retain the image format.
  • Again, if you're using PS, "save for web and devices" is a must because you can save it to PNG-8 format, which will allow you to limit the color pallet used by the image and reduce file size.

Of course, you could just go with an entirely different format altogether and that's fine. It's also funny just how much memory the map requires even when I've limited the color pallet and everything.

As for additional stuff being added to it-well the Gold Coast map's purpose was to show the approximate location of things from Oblivion. The icons were actually adapted from some map I found on a Google image search (it was a JPEG image so I took the liberty of reconstructing each icon pixel-by-pixel to remove artifacts). It of course also does show the approximate locations of our new cities-Stirk, Sutch and Mir Corrup, so I wouldn't rule out adding new locations as we come up with them.

I believe we were at one point discussing the possibility of adding a handful new towns and other smaller settlements, in-particular.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Jan 2013, 17:09

Now what's this all about.

Wolli posted a pretty map showing locations from Oblivion that we are, in fact, keeping.

Worsas wrote:Edit: That said, I do not know how strict you were going to take this map anyway. Only a reminder of (necessary?) landmarks?

Indeed. If those locations were everything we are adding to our landscapes we could as well just generate a bunch of trees and groundcover and call that a 'game'. I have already added a lot more small points of interest to the Gold Coast than shown on that map.
The large roads stay though, and it's a nice thing we have them all in one map now.

Worsas, 'f course regions are going to be different. The GF is a rain forest, while the GC is a dry, coastal region. WW has the function of a transitional region between those two. They are all very diverse. We are not imitating TES:IV just because we have a map with a couple TES:IV locations marked on it that are worth keeping in these places.

Wollibeebee wrote:And what do we name the 3 Aylied ruins around Stirk? (Is there anything else, such as caves, near Stirk, Scamp?)

The ruin on Stirk is called Wormusoel. Or do we have three in the ocean? As far as I know, we got two underwater ruins. I'm not good at naming these kind of things, though.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 16 Jan 2013, 17:27

Forgive me if I'm stepping out of line, but may I suggest an Ayleid ruin name plz??

ok, here goes:

Auranerelle.

It means "Welcoming Water"

or Nagaiarelle, which would mean "deathly water". Depends on what you imagine the weather at the Abecean Sea.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 16 Jan 2013, 17:52

By any means, keep the map as it is. I was only being idiotic above.

What I basically wanted to come up with:
- Subregions beyond GC
- Additional Villages
- Colovian Barrows and Sacred Groves

You can happily ignore anything else.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Jan 2013, 17:59

Worsas wrote:By any means, keep the map as it is. I was only being idiotic above.

- Subregions beyond GC
- Additional Villages

This is all no problem and partially even already implemented. (as an example, see the difference between southern and northern Gold Coast, being two subregions of the GC). Also, Brina Cross will be a Caldera-sized village instead of a simple inn.

Barrows will be added.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 16 Jan 2013, 18:49

We need to come up with a new icon for the barrows so that we may mark them. I think this could be a useful resource for players to have once we finish the project.

As for subregions, Worsas, as Scamp said we are implementing them even if they are not necessarily shown on the map. The GC is split into two regions, with the southern GC being mostly the coastal regions and the Northern GC being more of a highland region. You will find different flora in the Northern region than you will in the Southern Region. Mostly this is though up during region planning and we have not had much thought beyond the GC yet, though that will change soon I imagine.

Wolli, the ruin on Stirk is Wormusoel. We also have a goblin cave and two grottos which should be noted. One of the grottos connects to Wormusoel, but should still have its own marker and name. All three caves are yet to be named. For the underwater ruins, I approve of MoonAndStar's names.

Also Stirk itself should have the town or city marker. I don't care which as it is in between.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 16 Jan 2013, 19:02

I might attempt to create some new icons, possibly derived from the ones in Skyrim (the one they use for barrows would probably translate alright).

Edit:

That new one and the "landmark" icon that I forgot to include are put together as individual image files in a new post I made here.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 16 Jan 2013, 19:55

I like that. Good work DJ.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 22:41

Worsas wrote:By any means, keep the map as it is. I was only being idiotic above.

- Subregions beyond GC
- Additional Villages

I was thinking about subregion, but the map doesn't have to be so detailed in that regard.

Read me second post, there's a lot of villages from old lore that could be added, and a lot of room to add some.

Scamp wrote:
This is all no problem and partially even already implemented. (as an example, see the difference between southern and northern Gold Coast, being two subregions of the GC). Also, Brina Cross will be a Caldera-sized village instead of a simple inn.

Barrows will be added.

As displayed on this new map, for you. :)

Thanks for the tips DJgamer, I may make some of those changes later today, when I add the names and missing locations to Stirk.

As everyone likes Moonandstar's Ayleid names, I'll add them/

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Jan 2013, 23:06

Hang on. I think Moonandstar gave us two name options for one ruin, depending on whether the Abecean sea is "welcoming" or "deathly". Or did I miss another post that had another name suggestion?

That said, don't add 'them'. You can add the first one though, as I don't think the Abecean sea is too deadly.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 Jan 2013, 23:24

Scamp wrote:Hang on. I think Moonandstar gave us two name options for one ruin, depending on whether the Abecean sea is "welcoming" or "deathly". Or did I miss another post that had another name suggestion?

That said, don't add 'them'. You can add the first one though, as I don't think the Abecean sea is too deadly.

I was waiting for you to finish eating, but when you came back you left on an ominous "hmm." Which ruin do I add the first one to? My island ruin, or your submerged volcanic ruin?

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 16 Jan 2013, 23:25

That's right Scamp. I can propose another one if you like. How about "Vabriasel". It means "foaming hall". The logic behind it being the foam from the waves that would crash on it or something like that..

edit: I would think a submerged volcanic ruin does not sound very "welcoming", and magma coming in contact with water probably generates some foam, so Auranerelle for the island and Vabriasel for the volcanic one sounds good methinks.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Jan 2013, 15:51

MoonAndStar wrote:That's right Scamp. I can propose another one if you like. How about "Vabriasel". It means "foaming hall". The logic behind it being the foam from the waves that would crash on it or something like that..

edit: I would think a submerged volcanic ruin does not sound very "welcoming", and magma coming in contact with water probably generates some foam, so Auranerelle for the island and Vabriasel for the volcanic one sounds good methinks.

I like this.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 19 Jan 2013, 00:22

Map updated with a bunch of things added in Gold Coast claims, as well as the missing Stirk caves. Few names added, and new icons.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 20 Jan 2013, 00:46

MoonAndStar wrote:That's right Scamp. I can propose another one if you like. How about "Vabriasel". for the island and Vabriasel for the volcanic one sounds good methinks.

I do not like this. It makes me thinkof a medicinal cream. Foaming halls? Sounds like it could be part of the commercial fort his.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Next

Return to Claim Maps