Cyrodiil-Heightdata rescaled

Find all the claim maps here.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Cyrodiil-Heightdata rescaled

Postby Worsas » 18 Jul 2011, 13:06

My first result in creating a landmass with a smaller heightrange.

All the heightdata has been scaled by a factor of 0.75
Moreover an algorithm was used to additionally decrease any heightpoints above 20,000 units.

The highest point on the new map now amounts to 23,280 instead of ~32,000.

the coastlines remain intact as only heightpoints above and below the sealevel (0) are affected.

There is one major drawback you are going to recognize on the new heightmap. As all the heightpoints below sealevel got scaled aswell, the sea bed became scaled to something else but -2048 which would have been needed to recognize and omit empty cells and to grant a fluent transition between the seabottom-slopes and "bottom-zero" (-2048).

Now I simply made the program avoid any cells who only have heightdata below the sealevel instead and this is what you can recognize as square-borders. At those points you are going to have a height-gap between your cells and the emptiness outside. unfortunately i cannot seem to edit and save that stuff in gimp as i would need to in order to make a smooth transition, the heightdata always seems to get screwed upon saving no matter what kind of data-format i choose.

the old and the new heightmap heavily downscaled next to each other.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/C ... ghtmap.jpg

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Cyrodiil-Heightdata rescaled

Postby SamirA » 18 Jul 2011, 17:37

Well it all sounds good minus that underwater bit.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 19 Jul 2011, 00:50

thanks worsas, this is really helpful! :D

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 19 Jul 2011, 01:15

Yes it is! This is now the new heightmap.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 19 Jul 2011, 02:29

Thanks again Worsas. Sorry if I sounded a bit ungrateful on IRC. This will greatly help us creating Cyrodiil.

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 05 Feb 2012, 20:12

What was this for?

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 06 Feb 2012, 15:42

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/412/ ... nshot8.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5905 ... shot16.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1365/m ... shot15.jpg
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/3376 ... shot14.jpg

The brown huge mass behind TR's velothi mountains was supposed to get rescaled as it outranged anything else including Skyrim. If I hadn't downscaled this, scamp had done it by hand sooner or later. This has also been done to retain the details of your heightmap.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 07 Feb 2012, 07:18

Ahh i see, so my Cyrodiil height map was taller at the border than TR?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2012, 13:35

Ridiculously so. I imagine this is an issue with all of them. Might want to scale down, then again I don't know what the Skyrim border for you is like so it may be fine.
Project Coordinator

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 13:42

Skyrimian border mountains can't be that high... No really they can't

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 07 Feb 2012, 20:47

I made the Cyrodiil height map separate to the Skyrim one, so borders might not match. But I was told to make cyrodiil as high as possible.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Feb 2012, 20:56

alex25 wrote:Skyrimian border mountains can't be that high... No really they can't

Why not? They need to be at least fairly high to make High Hrothgar look decent (and it's going to be more than a tiny bit larger than vanilla Red Mountain)

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 21:46

Still that high? From what I saw they are three times higher than the TR stuff that isn't low itself.

EDIT: Is The Throat of the World higher than Red Mountain because it was always higher or because Red Mountain erupted when the Ministry struck and thus lost some of its height? Then it wouldn't be that high.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Feb 2012, 22:56

(The name of the mountain was changed to Throat of the World in TES V, let's keep using High Hrothgar which isn't actually the home of the Greybeards but it was originally the mountain being referred to like that)
It is, in fact, not higher. However, Red Mountain is damn low, let's face it. ShotN has agreed that even with distant land, a significant difference in height between the two mountains would never be noticable and to achieve a super-awesome experience we'll be making High Hrothgar >20K ingame units. (and for all the rest you should look at the shotn forums)

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 07 Feb 2012, 23:38

Scamp wrote:(The name of the mountain was changed to Throat of the World in TES V, let's keep using High Hrothgar which isn't actually the home of the Greybeards but it was originally the mountain being referred to like that)

Actually, I think those names were already like that pre-TES5. The mountain was already the Throat of the World and High Hrothgar was the settlement near the top. I may be wrong though.

Scamp wrote:It is, in fact, not higher. However, Red Mountain is damn low, let's face it. ShotN has agreed that even with distand land, a significant difference in height between the two mountains would never be noticable and to achieve a super-awesome experience we'll be making High Hrothgar >20K ingame units. (and for all the rest you should look at the shotn forums)

That was a good decision. Red Mountain can always be made taller. :cheery:
I am no salmon – Dagon

alex25

Postby alex25 » 07 Feb 2012, 23:47

I now feel guilty about not working on ShotN. Well after the GC bit is done... Still even with 20k units the border mountains around it should still match in height with the TR ones. Also with all three projects loaded at once we'll have a game area of over 100 miles? That can't be right?

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 08 Feb 2012, 17:30

Osidian wrote:Actually, I think those names were already like that pre-TES5. The mountain was already the Throat of the World and High Hrothgar was the settlement near the top. I may be wrong though.

Interesting. Yeah, I might be wrong. Just checked my sources and it seems High Hrothgar was also used in pre-TESV lore referring to the mountain on the whole, but mostly to the place where the Greybeard live, whereas 'Throat of the World' has already been mentioned in the 1st PGE serving as the mountain's name.
Although I hear in other contexts all of Skyrim is called 'Throat of the World'.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 09 Feb 2012, 15:33

We will probably get back to the full 30k game units again at Shotn to ensure that Skyrim will actually contain the four highest peaks of Tamriel as said in the 1st pg(next to modded rm).

Skyrim is all about mountains, Cyrodiil is all about rivers (and jungle). These two ought to be different.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 09 Feb 2012, 16:13

Cyrodiil is about rivers?? As far as I can see, 2/3 of the province has zero rivers. (I think we had some discussion about it somewhere though, feel free to link me so that I can refresh my memories)

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 09 Feb 2012, 19:22

Scamp wrote:Cyrodiil is about rivers?? As far as I can see, 2/3 of the province has zero rivers. (I think we had some discussion about it somewhere though, feel free to link me so that I can refresh my memories)

Yea, this was supposed to be about making it a river culture, but I think simply making sure every city but 2 of them has a dock would be fine as thats what has a river nearby to begin with.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Next

Return to Claim Maps