Saint_Jiub's Art Thread

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: Saint_Jiub's Art Thread

Postby Saint_Jiub » 05 Apr 2013, 19:51

I've actually modified it since taking that picture, adding some more ornamentation to the robe, but I ended up really not liking the end result so I won't post it here :P I'll draw up a new one on one of my free days.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Apr 2013, 22:07

Saint_Jiub wrote:I've actually modified it since taking that picture, adding some more ornamentation to the robe, but I ended up really not liking the end result so I won't post it here :P I'll draw up a new one on one of my free days.

Actually I think ornamentation is what it needed. It looked a bit plain.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 09 Apr 2013, 23:51

Ignore the lack of shading on this one, I thought I could touch it up in GIMP but the effect was rather unpleasant.

Elder Councilman v2

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Apr 2013, 18:32

Saint_Jiub wrote:Ignore the lack of shading on this one, I thought I could touch it up in GIMP but the effect was rather unpleasant.

Elder Councilman v2

I see that with a regal blue pattered with golden four point stars as being good.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 04 Jul 2013, 19:50

Nibenese mercenary

Based on the earlier discussion about Landsknecht.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 04 Jul 2013, 22:39

I like it, although I'm sure the round helmet could be a bit more extravagant. Perhaps some jewelry?

Also, I just found the renaissance clothing mod, do you still have it? I can upload it on this forum for everyone to have a nosy at.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 26 Aug 2013, 23:12

I haven't seen the renaissance clothing mod, if you wanna post a DL link I'll peruse it.

Still on a kick drawing Nibenese clothing/armor, here's a couple work doodles and one more finished piece:

Mithril Armor
Hide Armor
Nibenese Upperclass

Got a moth priest in the pipeline too.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Aug 2013, 00:50

The mithril armor looks samuraish. Were you going for samrai?
The hide armor looks barbarianansh. This is nice.
The upperclass, maybe I just like symmetric clothing better? I suppose its upper class, so upperclass dress alot of times is not conducive to moving around etc.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 27 Aug 2013, 01:19

I like them. I think the mithril is going in an interesting direction, but needs a bit more work to seem both ornate and functional. Right now it is a bit too ornate in some place which could affect function and not ornate enough in less functional areas.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 27 Aug 2013, 01:40

The mithril armor looks samuraish. Were you going for samrai?
The hide armor looks barbarianansh. This is nice.
The upperclass, maybe I just like symmetric clothing better? I suppose its upper class, so upperclass dress alot of times is not conducive to moving around etc.

Heh, some of the most fun I have doing art for y'all is cannibalizing Oblivion's artwork for cool details. For the Mithril armor, I based it in part on the Blades set, namely the greaves and boots. I tried to capture the same pseudo-samuraish look of that set (without being terribly blatant about it)

The hide armor is based on the barbarian class artwork, the unused leather armor set, and Greek statues of Hercules, although I really need to redraw it (as well as post pictures of the creature whose pelt he's wearing, haha).

The sleeve on that nobleman is based on the plastron worn by modern fencers, the concept behind it in my brain is that it was developed by Nibenese battlemages to wear over armor, in order to have an extra garment to weave enchantments into without having to clamber through the sweltering jungle in heavy robes. And because Nibenese fashion is all about creative layering and maximizing the amount of silk on your person at one time (since silk=wealth/power/good lineage), it quickly caught on with the nobility.

The concept works alright as a symmetrical jacket too, I'm just personally all about the asymmetrical details, haha.

I like them. I think the mithril is going in an interesting direction, but needs a bit more work to seem both ornate and functional. Right now it is a bit too ornate in some place which could affect function and not ornate enough in less functional areas.

Yeah, the cuirass really needs an extra something to stand out, and I honestly regretted those wings on the gauntlets/boots as soon as I drew them, haha.

SamirA EDIT: I apologize for butchering this post of its links and proper quote tags. I accidentally edited it when I mean to quote it. I was very confused to see Jiub's name attached to my response... :oops:

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Aug 2013, 02:13

Saint_Jiub wrote:and Greek statues of Hercules

You mean Heracles, Hercules is Roman :P
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 27 Aug 2013, 04:10

Heh oops. I literally hung my head in shame when I read that. I should know better.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 03 Sep 2013, 06:30

Moth Priest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwgb42sa2qc75 ... priest.png

I decided that rather than just wearing boring old blindfolds, the elder moth priests would wear masks depicting Julianos, made from the bark of the Canticle Tree in order to forge a stronger connection with the moths so that the moths remain close at hand even when they aren't chanting. This is to connect disparate lore from the last three games- incorporating the Ancestor Glades of Skyrim, the PGE info on moth priests, and the snippet in Varieties of Faith that the Elder Scrolls are tended to by a Julianos cult- also in terms of gameplay, it lets us get away with only having one or two models for the moth priest creature (assuming we still want to give them a special "exploding into moths" death animation), by preventing us from needing to give them unique faces.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Sep 2013, 08:16

I like it. I always had them pictured as having full robes, but I like this look. It seems more rustic and Colovian in origin which fits in with the Skyrim style and I like that connection here.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 03 Sep 2013, 19:08

My concept, which I didn't really illustrate here, is that acolytes wear full robes similar to Dexion Evicus, but when they begin working with the moths, they go bare-chested and paint themselves with swirls of animal blood for the moths to feed on.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Sep 2013, 19:37

What if we keep them all to simply the skirt piece and make the acolytes simply have no animal blood and all that? I like the idea of the bare chested monks for some reason. It seems very primal different than what you think of when you think of priests or monks. It gives it a harder, rustic feel that I think can work well.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Sep 2013, 18:09

SamirA wrote:What if we keep them all to simply the skirt piece and make the acolytes simply have no animal blood and all that? I like the idea of the bare chested monks for some reason. It seems very primal different than what you think of when you think of priests or monks. It gives it a harder, rustic feel that I think can work well.

On the other hand, having them robed with masks makes them more mysterious.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Sep 2013, 18:32

Mysterious is overplayed
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 07 Dec 2013, 06:38

A couple more Nibenay concepts from my notebook at work:

Belharza the Man-Bull
Nibenese Citizen

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Dec 2013, 07:39

The Man-Bull looks is more like something from the PGE concept art. The Nib citizen looks great the Eastern influences are unmistakable without it saying this is ancient chinese not cyrodiilic.
Project Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Concept Art