Quark's Stuff

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Frumious Quark
Pleb

Quark's Stuff

Postby Frumious Quark » 29 May 2012, 22:37

...and my laptop camera is no match for even a low budget scanner. Anyway, these are two sketches I did way back. First one:

A color of a Ghoul - as seen in Arena. I'd imagine they exist throughout the deep caves and abandoned ruins throughout Tamriel, including Cyrodiil. I do tend to have a cartoonish approach to anything of a living, standing figure which I can never quite shake off.

Seems too blurry thanks again to a laptop camera. I was drawing something out of boredom for the swampy areas of morrowind mainland that touched border with Argonia. For Cyrodiil these thick-stalked plants with seedpods speckled on would emerge from the Black Marsh swamps. I did read up on "Dragon's Tale" ferns but these wouldn't fit that description.

For right now I'll just draw and use a friend or family member's scanner till I get a good replacement. My old one is part broken and part "no dll for this bit operating system." So yeah, wait a bit for newer stuff and my old stuff I don't want to take six pic tried just to get the same quality on the first two. For a bit I'm gonna work around with the CS here and there.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
~Frank Zappa

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Quark's Stuff

Postby Tarius » 29 May 2012, 22:58

Doesnt look that bad, but needs a better way to take a picture. I would suggest a cheap digital camera if not a scanner.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 02:59

I do know my brother has a digital camera for his own use. He's often not around much with late worknights and sleeping into the noon, but I guess I could convince him to let me take a few pics and upload them to my laptop (just need help cuz I've tried it before). I do have the cash, but since I'm out of work and getting paid with some research stuff (long irl-junk story) I'm kinda saving for some other things. I can always take a trip to some place for a quick scan or ask my bro how to use his damn camera.

Then again, I've been searching while typing this for so long and there's a $100< camera deal at my local bestbuy. They may suck with their laptop warranty repairs (like mine lol), but that camera might be a good backup plan and I could use it for various things other than drawing pics.
~Frank Zappa

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 13:13

Double post with a plant:

If it weren't for the free program, The Gimp, you'd go blind trying to see this drawing. A little "treatment" till I get the camera or later on a scanner.

Reading the description of Dragon's Tongue I felt it would be a deadly tropical or musky swamp looking plant. The fronds are not colored, but I'd imagine they'd be red on the far single tip of each leaf. I tried to create an intricate pattern of leaves on the flower itself - which you can mostly make out.

I was hoping the laptop camera would suffice if I doctored the pic a bit so I tried again, but the morning daylight is a pain to mitigate. *Sigh* oh well for now.

EDIT: New One
I doctored this one and colored it in the gimp as well.

This is a Sea Drake as depicted in the in the Infernal City by Keyes which would live in the Black Marsh waters. His book (and the other) was written to bridge Oblivion and Skyrim, but it was well written without creative restrictions and to be honest he had enough liberties that I felt he took more care than most. He was a literary modder for extra lore. I need to finish that damn book already.

Unfortunately, these are mostly coastal and/or ocean creatures. So they'd likely be very rare in the Topal Bay or just and easter egg or some part of a hunting quest. Then again, you can swim miles off the coast of vvardenfell in vanilla morrowind so maybe they can exist in game and have a rare ingredient to obtained upon death.

If anyone needs reference without hunting down the book check out the library:
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/creatures

EDIT: If requested, I'll put up the non-colored one and even do a few "full body" sketches as well.
~Frank Zappa

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 May 2012, 16:40

Actually I have a better idea, you simply need more light, not necessarily a new camera.
For some reason, this is one thing many people do not get, you absolutely MUST have a good source of light for any picture you take.
The next thing you do is to take multiple pictures of what you want. You then compare these pictures and obviously one of them will be the best to choose.
Finally, load things up into a program like Gimp or Photoshop and try to enhance things a bit. Increasing the brightness and contrast by a little is usually a good basic way to sharpen things a bit while making it a bit brighter.
I should have choosen to be a photographer.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 21:54

I didn't think of that. In fact, I thought "outside" light would glare the image or worsen the effect of a precise laptop light.

Thankyou. I'm going to draw a few more today and probly re-snapshot some of the others. I have a strongly brith thin-tubed lamp that can be adjusted, so that may help in addition to the other light. Sadly my room has no ceiling light :(

Edite: I was confusing the geography term "Blackwood" with the analog for Argonia, "Black Marsh," and drew stuff thinking that Black Marsh was the region that Cyrodiil and Argonia shared like the Sea Drake. Oops.
~Frank Zappa

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 23:13

I can't seem to find out how to edit the brightness levels in the gimp (I'm a techno-caveman, sorry) but I use unsharped and such to work around along with better lighting. For now...

A Will-o-the-Wisp. In TES IV they were just these gassy orbs that changed color. I figured a floating blue flame encompassing a radiant bright gem-stone core would be better. I think a light source enemy is quite doable, though I don't know how a flame texture for the creature would fair out. I'd make it "docile" if not attacked like the scrib, too, but much stronger and dangerous.

I'll upload the non-color one later since it was only doctored to make the lines darker.

EDIT: This looks better as the lack-of-color doesn't make it look like a metallic starfish and instead gives it that "shining pearl center" feel that gives off the fire.

~Frank Zappa

Return to Concept Art