Ayleid fresco for Wormusoel

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Revenant
P:C Legend

Re: Ayleid fresco for Wormusoel

Postby Revenant » 29 Sep 2011, 18:27

DJGamer wrote:I think this was essentially what we had in mind for the glowing effect.

The only concern I have with it having an animated "pulse" is that it will be looped and runs the risk of being too obviously noticable as such. It could end up looking great if done right and rather crappy if not.

I understand that you just whipped that one up quickly to illustrate a point but the uniform glow on that as it pulses bothers me. It gives the imagination something to go off though which is always great. If we can make certain areas pulse at different times and make the loop long enough then we might be able to disguise it enough and I'm sure that we'd end up with something great looking. Then there's the file size issues though.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 29 Sep 2011, 22:21

Revenant wrote:
DJGamer wrote:I think this was essentially what we had in mind for the glowing effect.

The only concern I have with it having an animated "pulse" is that it will be looped and runs the risk of being too obviously noticable as such. It could end up looking great if done right and rather crappy if not.

I understand that you just whipped that one up quickly to illustrate a point but the uniform glow on that as it pulses bothers me. It gives the imagination something to go off though which is always great. If we can make certain areas pulse at different times and make the loop long enough then we might be able to disguise it enough and I'm sure that we'd end up with something great looking. Then there's the file size issues though.

Well it does involve a sort of electricity or magika for whatever it is that Welkynd stones are made of so it's semi-mechanical in nature. Still, I suppose it [i]could be add that every little particle of Welkynd Stone dust is synchronously fading in and out but then again it's magic stuff. I need to do a bit of research about what knowledge exists about Welkynd Stones actually.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 02 Oct 2011, 14:18

Latest WIP fresco;

Previous versions;

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 02 Oct 2011, 14:53

I like this one the most. It looks the most Ayleid. This looks more like an old photograph.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 02 Oct 2011, 15:38

Nice. Veeerry nice. I'm not sure whether I prefer the green or the yellow version, though - I guess whichever fits best with the surrounding textures should be used.

I think there should be some fragments of text along with the image to give an idea of what's going on. However, I'm not sure whether they should be integrated into the image itself, or if I could just have an NPC mention them in dialogue. There's a list of Ayleid words here, along with an example inscription.

Alessia probably shouldn't be mentioned by name as nobody knows her real name, but she could be referred to as the 'Slave Queen' (there's no word for 'queen' in the list, but there are words for 'slave' and 'king'). Or we could just make stuff up - we'll probably have to do that later on in the questline anyway.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 02 Oct 2011, 23:38

I agree we should try what fits best with the surroundings.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 03 Oct 2011, 03:38

Yeah, colors to match the Ayleid interiors, but the artwork itself is absolutely fantastic so whichever color it turns out to be is of little consequence. Great stuff there.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Mar 2012, 12:27

Now having the Ayleid interior textures and some models done, would you be able to get this fresco made up for use with the set Revenant?
Project Coordinator

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 29 Mar 2012, 22:16

Absolutely, I'll see what I can come up with.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 30 Mar 2012, 21:25

Pretty much ready to be placed on the most apt bit o' wall now.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Mar 2012, 21:32

looks good, only the edges of the fresco bit are so perfect it looks like a picture stuck to the wall rather than a fresco carved/painted/whatevered onto it. That is my only gripe.
Project Coordinator

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 30 Mar 2012, 21:45

We really need to figure out which wall piece it'll be applied to - the vertex shading on the mesh would help tie it in but yeah, I know what you mean.

The rest of the wall in that screen is to show you how it looks alongside the wall texture - to show that they work together. It's not how it'll end up on the wall piece. It'll be edge to edge with the columns, floor and top ledge/carved "banner" or whatever you call them bits.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Mar 2012, 21:55

I was thinking it would be an additional piece to the set, similar to how the velothi frescoes are done, though perhaps a bit simpler on just a slab of stone that fits onto our larger room pieces.
Project Coordinator

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 30 Mar 2012, 23:18

If it's only going to be used once anyway then I don't suppose it matters much whichever way we do it. A big stone slab would look good though, we just need to make sure it fits into place with whatever it's going to be mounted onto. Tarius would be the one to figure that out though I guess.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 31 Mar 2012, 15:20

Looks really good, congrats. I can't wait to see it in-game now.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Mar 2012, 15:32

Actually Prae would be the more likely one to be of help as he is building the interior. Once he decides where it would be placed and how he wants it we would have a better idea of how to implement it.
Project Coordinator

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 31 Mar 2012, 18:21

What is the story behind the mural?

I will place it according to that.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Apr 2012, 01:09

It is showing alessia meeting with an ayleid and is helping to solve the mystery of the ayleid dissapearing from Tamriel. Frolix and Pella find it in the ruins. So it is pretty late in the Ayleid reign when it is created.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 01 Apr 2012, 18:38

Prae, here's what Revenant said regarding the story:

Revenant wrote:I figured out what the artwork is depicting based upon The last king of the Ayleids. The lord of Worsasmuspilajoel was one of the rebel Ayleid lords that assisted Alessia during the seige of the white gold tower who "thrived" through the late Ayleid period due to this pact he made with Alessia. This is what's worth commemorating - the renewal of his tribe

Previous

Return to Concept Art