More clothing ideas

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Helena
Head of Quests

More clothing ideas

Postby Helena » 26 Aug 2011, 20:35

This person on deviantart has a nice series on historical fashions (mostly women's clothing) which could be useful when designing Imperial clothing. I particularly like the classical Greek / Roman, Byzantine and Frankish designs.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: More clothing ideas

Postby SamirA » 26 Aug 2011, 21:47

Nice find, most of this is a very good recreation of historical clothing (yes the Minoan's really wore those weird revealing dresses) and I would love to see some variations of these styles make their way into the clothing of Cyrodiil. I think that some of the Classical Greek headwraps would also be a nice addition to the hairstyles of Imperial Females.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 26 Aug 2011, 21:57

I like those. (Not only the breast ones lol)

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 26 Aug 2011, 22:03

I'm very keen on the Greek/Roman hairstyles as well. I think we'll have to give the bare-breasted dresses a miss sadly ;) but otherwise we could use a mixture of any or all of those styles. Unfortunately I have no artistic talent whatsoever, otherwise I'd try to come up with some concepts myself.

Revenant
P:C Legend

Postby Revenant » 28 Aug 2011, 14:57

Helena wrote:I think we'll have to give the bare-breasted dresses a miss sadly

It's considered quite inappropriate to keep ones (male or female) breast covered within certain areas in the Niben, especially around followers of the Cult of Dibella. Sadly though many people will have issues with this which is a huge shame.

I feel very strongly that we shouldn't pander to idiots who feel the need to sexualize boobs but let's face it - most people are idiots and are going to see it as "dirty" and "wrong".

Never had much of a problem with dirty and wrong myself though.

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 28 Aug 2011, 16:48

Would boobs covered by body paint and/or lots of dangly jewelry be ok?

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 28 Aug 2011, 17:01

We might be able to get away with it in temples to Dibella, but otherwise, yeah, I think we're going to have to keep things as PG-13 as possible. Sad but true. In any case I'm pretty sure the bare-breasted thing is not actual lore, and it doesn't really fit with the in-game sources on Imperial culture.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 28 Aug 2011, 17:16

Lore is what we have already that works and what we can come up with that works.

Though we don't have a Head of Lore around here yet to keep ideas reigned in...
...*looks in the direction of Lady Nerevar*

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 28 Aug 2011, 17:40

I just don't think there's any point in courting controversy for the sake of it. If there were any official lore about Nibenese going around bare-breasted, I'd agree with you, but there isn't. There's some in-game evidence that Imperials are more relaxed about nudity than the Dunmer, such as the NPCs' responses to player nudity, but those same responses also suggest that it's not something they find usual (IIRC the line is something like "oh look, a nudist, how amusing.") If we're going to have people going topless, let's keep it to places where it makes obvious sense, like brothels and Dibella cults.

As for having a 'Head of Lore', I think that's something that needs discussion beyond this thread (and already has been discussed here to some extent). Personally I have to say I would oppose it, for the moment at least. This is a collaborative project and since a lot of the existing lore is contradictory, there's bound to be disagreements. For the moment we've essentially been putting any disputes to majority vote, and as the linked thread suggests, most of us are happy with that system.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 28 Aug 2011, 21:15

I think the Head of Lore would mainly be a passive role, just making sure that everything makes sense and doesn't contradict existing official lore. They would also have the deciding vote when two pieces of lore contradict, taking account of everyone else's opinion.

I don't really see the need for it to be an "official" post though. Everyone knows that people like Lady N know more lore than is healthy and respect their opinion.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 28 Aug 2011, 21:30

Wait... so Helena and TDF are from the UK too? That's like the 7th and 8th modder I've seen from the UK, not including Revenant and Wolli who are originally from there...

What da fak!? We're all like a train away from each other!

Oh right, Head of Lore and such. They should really just say what the project can't do, in such a small team I don't think there should be things such as deciding votes or anyone taking control over the direction of a certain area. As long as both options make sense, a democratic vote makes the most sense in a team project.
Last edited by dirnae on 28 Aug 2011, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 28 Aug 2011, 21:34

I don't think we need a Head of Lore.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 28 Aug 2011, 23:13

no, head of lore = fail.

and boobs or gtfo. ;P

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 29 Aug 2011, 02:27

The good thing about this project is that everyone seems versed in lore. A head of lore type person is only useful if most people don't know their lore.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Aug 2011, 02:43

So are we talking about the head of Lore, Data's evil brother? the head of Data was floating around on earth for a couple hundred years. haha
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 29 Aug 2011, 06:50

I actually agree with pretty much everyones opinion on a HoL especially with a province mod that is so focused on lore such as this one. It's really nice to not have to worry about needing one.

As far as body paint and jewellery and such covering boobs goes; as long as it's tastefully done then I don't see any reason why we couldn't include it. Lore is scant in terms of clothing styles so we're going to have to make up most of it anyway, (regarding the Nibenese, atleast).

Edit:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/ ... 34njqi.png

I can totally see that on a Nibenese woman - the colour scheme is very much so what I imagine when I think of Nibenay.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 Aug 2011, 08:46

There can always be a 'decency mod' if it gets to be too much of a problem. If it makes sense with lore than why not. It would make Nibeneans even more weird in the eyes of the Colovians.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 29 Aug 2011, 10:14

Revenant wrote:As far as body paint and jewellery and such covering boobs goes; as long as it's tastefully done then I don't see any reason why we couldn't include it.

Well, imagine this scenario: A naked PC approaches a young woman dressed in nothing but jewellery and body paint, who giggles and says "oh look, a nudist". Would sound a bit silly, wouldn't it? It's not so much a decency issue as a consistency issue. If we restricted it to certain cults (for example), we could probably filter their dialogue to remove those greetings. (There are also practical issues to deal with - clothing with alpha transparencies tends to clip a whole lot, and many people use the permanent-underwear version of BB, which wouldn't really work with that kind of outfit).

While there isn't a lot of lore on Imperial clothing (discounting Oblivion), I think there's enough to conclude that they don't generally go around half-naked. That said, I have absolutely no problem with something like this - it's pretty much how I would imagine the Nibenese Imperials to look, which was why I posted it. (I still like the Byzantine designs best, though).

Oh, and dirnae, we should totally all meet up sometime. :D

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 29 Aug 2011, 14:57

Yeah, I don't see a lot of characters going around in revealing clothing, except maybe in Sutch-and even then the "working girl" outfits probably wouldn't be bare-chested. The only place I can imagine that sort of outfit might be a House of Earthly Delights-type location (or to put it more bluntly a strip club).

With all of these we'd obviously need to have designs that fit with the setting-strong Hammerfellian influences and perhaps a bit of Nibenese as well. It also has to look like something that could be crafted with the equipment available in the setting.

-----------

On the subject of lore. I don't think it's entirely a matter of us all being well-versed in it as that most of us have a good enough interest in staying true to it and are at least able to do our research (via UESP, The Imperial Library, etc.) when the need arises. Maybe when our team gets larger we'll need someone to keep everything in line but right now we really don't.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 Aug 2011, 15:18

Hammerfellian for Sutch?

More Hammerfell clothing designs are here.
SamirA wrote:
Haha, bethstapo.

Next

Return to Concept Art