Some Art

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
Yali
Pleb

Some Art

Postby Yali » 28 Jul 2011, 08:23

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Some Art

Postby Tarius » 28 Jul 2011, 19:05

Remaniscent of Indian architecture. The style I have found interesting, but I never particularly liked it alot.(The Indian stuff)
The dawings get the point across though.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 28 Jul 2011, 19:23

Nice stuff Yali. I particularly find the colovian designs interesting and they could be of use.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 28 Jul 2011, 23:31

i like that giant eel/snake thing, really want to model that :P

Yali
Pleb

Postby Yali » 29 Jul 2011, 01:57

That's great to here SamirA, since I too was pleased with my Colovian experiment and spent today solely developing Colovia:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... _and_2.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... house1.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... mppost.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... uses_2.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... aggers.jpg

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... atures.jpg
P.S - The tantha design is a variation on the TR one for Hammerfell.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... bology.jpg

What I'm going for is a mix of Romanesque, particularly in the stone work and the heavy use of stone itself, Byzantine heavyness and geometric design, some elements of Minoan Greek art, and desertic tribe architecture.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 Jul 2011, 08:11

I think that those houses with a bit of tweaking could look good in Sutch. I like the lampost, I imagine it being powered through a magic glowing crystal at the top.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Jul 2011, 08:12

Magic glowing crystal sounds much more Nibenese.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 29 Jul 2011, 08:47

Yeah, I thought Nibenese looking at the pictures but couldn't think of a city to put them in. The style is much more Hammerfellian than Cyrodiilic imo.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 29 Jul 2011, 09:24

Perhaps Leyawiin? It's the southernmost of the cities and close to Elsweyr, so it makes sense for it to look a bit more 'exotic'.

Yali
Pleb

Postby Yali » 30 Jul 2011, 00:45

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 30 Jul 2011, 13:56

All of your colovian-stuff looks hammerfellish to me. Not saying that this has to be wrong, but as far as I know colovians, they are the ones who are closer to the Nords and everywhere in TES you see colovian houses they have a bit Nord-character and peaky roofs.

But there is one thing you als should take into consideration: Colovians are not exotic. No way. You can impossibly start to make everything and everybody on Tamriels soil exotic and weird. There is also something like Standard-people who embody the solid ground below you. Those people are the colovians.

The only thing thats "exotic" about Colovians are their traditional costumes and their sometimes overly peaky house-roofs.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Yali/Tam ... forest.jpg
Looks interesting. But isn't that Morrowind?

Sorry, if I come over harsh, but for what reason is Morrowind said to have an alien and weird environment if you already have all the giant mushrooms within Cyrodiil?

I think that those houses with a bit of tweaking could look good in Sutch. I like the lampost, I imagine it being powered through a magic glowing crystal at the top.

Hopefully not. Not even in a Nibenese settlement. Imperials, no matter if colovians or Nibenese, are Traders, Diplomats and Craftsmen, also warriors, but not mages. Well, of course, there are mages but you're not going to see their culture as infused with magic as it would be the case with Altmers, Bretons, Argonians and Dunmers.

You can simply tell by the skill-boni of a race if it's culture is influenced by magic, trade, stealth or warcraft. In the first place Imperials are all about commerce and administration.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Jul 2011, 15:56

What you say is mostly true except the part about warriors and wizards. The Colovians are certianly warriors, but the Nibenese fall into the wizarding category most often than the warrior one. The Nibenese are influenced by the Akaviri and the Mer or Tamriel. They are probably the strangest group of Humans on Tamriel, while the Colovians are exactly what you say.
Project Coordinator

Yali
Pleb

Postby Yali » 31 Jul 2011, 01:01

No I don't mind the criticism at all infact. :) This will help guide me a bit more. As for the shroom in that one picture, it was more of a aesthetic detail more than an actual idea that there be shrooms all over Cyrodiil.

See, I had always thought that Colovian's were related to Hammerfell culture. This is probably because of Colovia's closeness to the Hammerfell border. Oh well, guess I was grossly mistaken :blush:. It's fine though, I'm not in any way bothered by the critique.

I'm really trying to develop some sort of unique, completely new architectural style for Colovia. One that is not easily traceable to Earth cultures. Where can I find the appropriate lore that can help guide me better? I need to have a better understanding ofv Cyrodiilic culture.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2011, 03:33

Sutch will have heavy Hammerfell influences Yali, so Hammerfellish looking buildings are still a usefull concept.
Project Coordinator

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 31 Jul 2011, 12:54

I agree with Worsas. I wouldn't like the Nibenese culture to be magic influenced. They have elven influences, but I expect that to show more in the architecture and the clothes than on the importance of magic. Sure they have the battlemage tradition, but they're all about Speechcraft and Mercantile skills.

Yali, I also agree that some of your ideas remind me of Hammerfell, therefore useful for Sutch. ;)
I am no salmon – Dagon

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 31 Jul 2011, 14:13

FWIW I agree with Worsas and Osidian. I don't remember any mention of the Nibenese being especially magic-inclined (except in the pre-Alessian era when battlemages ruled the Nibenay Valley, but that was thousands of years ago). They're portrayed as showing the more mercantile and diplomatic side of the Imperial character, whereas the Colovians are more militaristic (though bear in mind that the base game lumps them all together as 'Imperials', so we need to show the similarities as well as the differences). Meric and Akaviri influences for the Nibenese make sense, but I don't really see where the 'wizardy' part comes from.

Yali, if you read this thread you'll see we basically agreed that the Colovian settlements should look more like those in vanilla Morrowind. If you want to design something more 'exotic', best to concentrate on the Gold Coast or the Nibenese areas.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2011, 19:43

Yes, the Nibenese are certainly the mercantile people of tamriel. I'm merely saying that to say Imperials are not magically inclined is to discount the battlemage tradition of the Nibenese. I agree with Osidian on the influences that should be most visible within the Nibenese, but when we are dealing with Imperial mages you should see that most of them are Nibenese by using new Nibenese heads and such.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 31 Jul 2011, 21:38

Sounds good. Regarding the glowing crystal lamppost: I actually like the idea, but it sounds rather Ayleidic. IMO the Imperial City would be the best place for something like that.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Jul 2011, 21:42

The Nibenese, sort of, have a magic influence: Their numerous cults. They are very religious which again works well together with their speechcraft and charisma.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 Aug 2011, 01:57

aylied ruins in the IC was discussed awhile ago, right? what if the IC "people" used those crystal lights? using aylied stones (the ones that were in OB)

Next

Return to Concept Art