Elven Armor Concepts

See our concept art and post your own if you like!
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Elven Armor Concepts

Postby SamirA » 10 Feb 2011, 05:23

Here is my first concept regarding the elven armor for P:C.

It is just the helm. On the left is my original design outline and on the right is a more detailed concept that I think is a great design and a nice fit. More armor to match the helm to come later.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Re: Elven Armor Concepts

Postby ZackG » 10 Feb 2011, 15:51

perfect. seriously awesome.

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 20 Feb 2011, 18:12

That's beautiful, Samir!

But will it be called Elven ingame? I know there's an elven armor in Oblivion but that's a bit to generic when we have all these different elf races in Tamriel and stuff like chitin and bonemold are elven too.
I think it deserves a more specific name, probably named after the elven race who made that armor (Ayleids?).
I am no salmon – Dagon

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 20 Feb 2011, 20:35

We can call it Ayleid sure. I just was making a concept for our version of the Oblivion armor. In Oblivion it is called elven because the game takes place in Cyrodiil and they use the imperial name for it so it makes sense for us to as well, but since our game world also includes Morrowind and has several other elven made armors then yeah Ayleid is probably the way to go.
Project Coordinator

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 22 Sep 2011, 16:44

Something I'm working on atm. I'll do a few variants and give them some slight tweaks - different helms, pauldrons, boots etc. when I'm finished on this one. This one is intended to be ceremonial armour.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 22 Sep 2011, 18:10

Lovely. I like the bird helmet - fits with Cyrodiil's 'jungle' theme.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Sep 2011, 22:34

Really cool Rev.
Project Coordinator

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 23 Sep 2011, 01:50

I've already told you that I'm absolutely in love with the concept and your rendition of it. I'll just repeat that then.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 23 Sep 2011, 13:03

Saw this on irc. Awesomesauce.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 03 Oct 2011, 12:10

For those who didn't see this on IRC a while back.
/IRC plug

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 03 Oct 2011, 16:36

This makes me wonder-just how long do feathers keep?

I'm not biology expert so I have no idea how exactly how biodegradation works in different environments. I would assume obviously that a feather lying on the ground or on a dead bird would not last as long due to insects and dirt. But would a feather placed on a piece of armor as an ornament last for however many thousands of years even if specially treated?

The obvious alternative is that the feathers are placed there by people who have attempted to restore the armor to what they consider to be its original shape. In that case is it the same person who restored each discovered piece of Elven armor or is there some kind of "standard" way to restore it? Would every piece of Elven armor in the game be restored in this way? We could produce two separate types, one restored and one not possibly.

I know I might just be overthinking things, but I personally think that having a sense of verisimilitude is important, especially when dealing with something like the Elder Scrolls universe.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 03 Oct 2011, 16:43

DJGamer wrote:This makes me wonder-just how long do feathers keep?

I'm not biology expert so I have no idea how exactly how biodegradation works in different environments. I would assume obviously that a feather lying on the ground or on a dead bird would not last as long due to insects and dirt. But would a feather placed on a piece of armor as an ornament last for however many thousands of years even if specially treated?

The obvious alternative is that the feathers are placed there by people who have attempted to restore the armor to what they consider to be its original shape. In that case is it the same person who restored each discovered piece of Elven armor or is there some kind of "standard" way to restore it? Would every piece of Elven armor in the game be restored in this way? We could produce two separate types, one restored and one not possibly.

Feathers can last years, but not decades, some insects can finish it pretty quicklly called ectophaga, outershell(feather)eaters.

But for ceremonials (armor) it can be used, provided they have supply of feathers ready.
But discovery after 20 years very unlikely.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 03 Oct 2011, 18:36

I always assumed the 'Elven' and 'Dwarven' armours seen in Oblivion were simply replicas of the original.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 03 Oct 2011, 19:02

What if these feathers were in a fantasy world?

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 03 Oct 2011, 21:11

in fantasy world anything is possible sure

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 03 Oct 2011, 22:07

Revenant wrote:What if these feathers were in a fantasy world?

ENCHANTED FEATHERS!!!

Seriously though, even in a fantasy world, it needs to be explained. If it's magic, we need to explain it's magic and to some extent how that magic works-not just some BS "Hey, it's magic! Deal with it!" thing.

I personally prefer the restoration and/or replica idea.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 03 Oct 2011, 22:07

they're magical pheonix feathers, that keep for years.
well, they should still look a little "raged"
Last edited by Wollibeebee on 03 Oct 2011, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 03 Oct 2011, 22:33

Realistically, how much 4000-year-old armour is likely to be floating around anyway? And if it were that old, even the metal parts should be falling to bits. Makes more sense for it to be new armour based on old Ayleid designs, which takes a lot of skill to craft (this would explain why it's so rare and expensive).

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Oct 2011, 22:37

I don't much care if it's enchanted feathers or someone made the stuff yesterday, this armor is awesome.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Oct 2011, 07:28

Praedator wrote:
DJGamer wrote:This makes me wonder-just how long do feathers keep?

Feathers can last years, but not decades, some insects can finish it pretty quicklly called ectophaga, outershell(feather)eaters.

But for ceremonials (armor) it can be used, provided they have supply of feathers ready.
But discovery after 20 years very unlikely.

I have feathers sitting on my shelf in my room that say otherwise. I am not sure how old they are, but I would have to guess at least 20 years if not more. Of course, feathers that are actually in use and are going to be touched and what not, those may not last very long compared to ones that are just sitting somewhere. Yes of course bugs could come and eat stuff, but if something is stored away that may not happen.
However, one of the worst things feathers can be exposed to is water. Once they get wet, they can start to decay quite rapidly, assuming they stay wet of course(yes birds get wet, but they also grow new feathers and the decay isnt nearly that fast). Repeatedly getting wet will shorten their lifespan as well.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Next

Return to Concept Art