Oblivion Foreshadowing?

The Main Quest, generally done as a member of the Blades, and Blades side-quests
DJGamer
Mad God

Oblivion Foreshadowing?

Postby DJGamer » 19 Dec 2010, 00:22

This is an idea I've had in my head for awhile now, but since during the final bit of the main quest you're basically inside the Emperor's head, why not include some surreal bits of foreshadowing with Oblivion Gates, maybe Kvatch burning, etc. demonstrating that Uriel has already been having some visions of things to come. The Emperor might also mention it (or respond to a question regarding it) following the quest, and only be able to tell your a few vague things about it. Bare minimum it would be interesting to have at least one Oblivion gate appearing someplace-we definitely couldn't do the same shader effects on it (unless OpenMW is finished by that point and allows for such features) but we could probably create something fairly nice-looking within Morrowind's graphical capabilities. In any case this is going to be far far in the future-I'd just like to know if anyone else thinks this would be a cool idea and how far we might reasonably take it. We definitely wouldn't go into "spoiler territory", but most people already know about the Oblivion gates and what happens to Kvatch and it's possible that Uriel may have had visions regarding it even this early on (probably knowing there's nothing to be done to prevent it).

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Oblivion Foreshadowing?

Postby SamirA » 19 Dec 2010, 00:25

I don't know about an Oblivion gate, but I certainly would like to foreshadow the events of Oblivion in various places in out mod. I have even made several notes in the Comprehensive Lore Guide as well as other lore posts about different ways we might foreshadow things to come.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 19 Dec 2010, 00:41

I just think taking advantage of being able to enter Uriel's mind would be a cool way to present his "visions" of what is to come. It could be that one of the "set pieces" the player has to walk through is a portion of a burning down Kvatch-although we'd have to find an effective way to construct it as an interior-as-exterior, although again if OpenMW supports separate world spaces and the feature is available by that time...

It's also possible that it could be done as a simple trick using activators in our own version of Kvatch-although that could be incredibly tricky unless we could find a way to effectively limit what the player is able to see.

Actually, another idea is that it could take place in the Kvatch Arena (or at least I think I've heard that Kvatch originally had an arena)-that would probably be the most ideal interior-as-exterior location-perhaps a great gate opens right inside the Arena. It could present us an interesting oppurtunity to give the player a glimpse into the actual events of the Daedric invasion of Kvatch. However, I'm not sure if we should go quite that far in terms of scope-it could be as little as a single regular gate appearing in the Arena as well. It would basically be a diversion/challenge for the player set up by Thadas inside of Uriel's mind.

Also, another interesting sequence would be to show the Daedric invasion of Ald'Ruhn-or present some kind of cut scene or some such, I suppose it would depend on if we get a person who can put together some ambitious cut-scene-type sequences for us.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 19 Dec 2010, 02:57

Midgetalien is making an Oblivion Realm with a gate if we want to pursue this eventually. He is doing the realm as an interior-as-exterior as well.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 19 Dec 2010, 08:00

SamirA wrote:Midgetalien is making an Oblivion Realm with a gate if we want to pursue this eventually. He is doing the realm as an interior-as-exterior as well.

That would be pretty cool-it would be sort of neat if we could have the player actually enter Oblivion and include the Siege Machine as well-like basically it'd sort of be based on the bit from Uriel's "visions" during the intro to Oblivion. Not sure if we'd go that far necessarily. I think the cool bit would be basically showing elements of the "Oblivion Crisis" that we couldn't actually get a chance to see in the original game. Therefore the idea of presenting the invasion of Kvatch and possibly the attack on Ald'Ruhn as well (if only as a cut scene).

I know there are implications to the idea that Uriel was able to see it all coming even six years before it happened, but I think we can easily go with the idea that he knows its inevitable (going with the Doctor Who concept that certain events in time are basically "fixed" and cannot be changed) and that letting more people know about it than absolutely necessary would be more likely to create a panic than actually do any good. Trying to shut down the Mythic Dawn before it can assassinate Uriel would similarly be a pointless endeavor-there'd always be just enough members in hiding somewhere to carry on the cult-and perhaps Uriel's visions aren't even specific enough to be able to realize exactly where the threat is going to be coming from anyway.

And if you didn't understand all the things I said about the timeline-don't worry, to put it another way it's all just wibbely-wobbly timey-wimey...stuff...

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Return to Main Quest/Blades