Thadas Tharn Backstory

The Main Quest, generally done as a member of the Blades, and Blades side-quests
DJGamer
Mad God

Thadas Tharn Backstory

Postby DJGamer » 14 Dec 2010, 21:41

This is my original post, currently unedited, regarding the backstory of our antagonist, Thadas Tharn.

---------------------------

According to The Real Barenziah, Barenziah bore a son with the "Nightingale", who at the time was Jagar Tharn disguised as Uriel Septim. He was born a year prior to Barenziah's marriage to Eadwyre of Wayrest, and it may be assumed that he was born in Wayrest, which is located in High Rock, the land of the Bretons. Nothing else is said of his birth besides that it had happened a year prior to Barenziah's second marriage. This does tell us however that he WAS born and not aborted as her child with Tiber Septim had been. From here we must begin to expand from the existing lore.

We might assume that the child was given away, likely for two purposes:

#1-Obviously, to avoid a scandal. She was not yet married to Eadwyre (and even when she was, the marriage was mainly out of convenience and likely for political reasons), but bearing any child out of wedlock is still a bit taboo-and add to that who the father was and it it would likely be disastrous.

#2-Perhaps more importantly, Barenziah wanted him to be sheltered from his true parentage. It's better for him not to know who his true father was. At best, he would be haunted by the shadow of his father's evil deeds, at worst he would want to follow in his footsteps and even take revenge for his father's death.

So she gave him up to a Dunmer couple living in Wayrest whom she trusted. She asked them to raise him as their own and not tell him that he wasn't their biological son. However, he grew up haunted by dark dreams-his father reaching beyond the realm of death to try to tell him who he really is. His adoptive parents tried their best to comfort him and even took him to various healers and such to try to determine the source of his nightmares and cure him of them, but it was all to no avail.

In his teen years, the dreams started to become more intense-and the visions began to make him question his true parentage. When he asked them of this, he could see in their eyes that their assurances were false. He became angered and demanded they tell him the truth, but they said they could not, that it was better for him not to know. That was not enough, he knew that these dreams would not end until he determined the truth, so he ran away from his adoptive home in search of answers.

Eventually, one of his dreams finally gave him a name-Jagar Tharn (or perhaps Nightingale, which would lead him to discovering the name Jagar Tharn). He had heard of him, there were few in Tamriel who hadn't. While most people considered him to be the embodiment of evil, Thadas had always admired his ambition somehow. He set out to research both his father and his magic. He now realized that his unusual talents in the field of Illusion were not merely coincidental, but hereditary. He eventually came under the tutelage of a skilled Breton necromancer named Ernandre. During one of their research expeditions, Thadas came upon a tome which described a method through which one can possess another's body by drawing their soul into the realm between life and death through their dreams. Upon hearing Thadas' discovery, Ernandre forbade him from researching it any further-such magic was far too dark, even for one like him. Ernandre did read through the book, out of curiosity and to add to his own knowledge, but afterwards locked it away. One night, when Ernandre was out of the house, Thadas broke into his room and managing to successfully pick the lock on the chest where he knew Ernandre had hid the book, took it and again set off on his own.

He traveled to Cyrodiil, the province of his enemy and stumbled upon a small cult dedicated to worshiping his father and attempting to bring him back from the dead. Using his abilities, he managed to convince them that he was in fact Jagar's son and they son made him their leader. With his persuasive abilities he managed to greatly increase their numbers, transforming them into something that could be considered a genuine threat to the Empire-which of course suited his plans. He told them he knew a way to resurrect his father and place his soul into Uriel's body. Of course, HE would be the one taking possession of the body, but there is no way they could possibly tell that he was not Jagar Tharn once his plan came to fruition.

The cult itself was only intended as a misdirection, something to keep the Blades busy while he worked on his plans. He also knew he would need something else, so he went after Caula Voria, the Emperor's estranged wife, already weak of mind suffering from the guilt of having not taken any action during the Imperial Simulacrum. Using both his illusion skills and his powers of persuasion he convinced her that one of her sons was in fact a doppleganger put in place by Jagar Tharn. He also went around Cyrodiil as well, spreading rumors to the same effect. He knew that the disorder caused by such ideas would serve as an even better distraction still to allow him to carry out his plans.

At the same time, he killed one of the Emperor's handmaidens and used his illusion magic to pose himself as her. This gave him the access he needed to begin casting the magic upon Uriel to begin drawing him into the world of the dead.

It is around this time that the player comes into the picture.

Additional Notes:

Ernandre is intended to be the Mage that they player would encounter later on whom tells them of Thadas' plot. Obviously a number of years have passed since he'd been a necromancer and tutored Thadas. He never knew that Thadas was Jagar's son so that can't be spoiled by him.

The cult should be especially secretive of the fact that their leader is Jagar's son. In fact, it's possible that most members of the group aren't aware of it, or even of what the exact plan to resurrect Jagar Tharn is. The most the player should be able to gather is that their leader is named Thadas, and that they're somehow planning to resurrect Jagar Tharn.

Thadas might breifly been seen speaking with Caula, and have other "G-Man"-type moments where the player sees him from afar, but cannot directly speak or otherwise interact with him. The player obviously won't learn who he actually is until later on in the MQ.

Did a bit of research and came up with an approximate timeline for these events:

Official Lore:

3E 389 — Emperor Uriel Septim VII is betrayed by the Imperial Battlemage Jagar Tharn and imprisoned in a dimension of Tharn's creation. Imperial Simulacrum begins.

3E 396 - Barenziah flees to Wayrest.

3E 399 — Jagar Tharn is Defeated, Imperial Simulacrum ends.

3E 427 - Blight Curse Begins (Events of Morrowind)

Thadas Backstory:

3E 397 - Thadas is born.

3E 412 - At fifteen, Thadas runs away. Shortly after, he hears his father's name in one of his dreams.

3E 415 - At eighteen, Thadas is taught about necromancy by Ernandre.

3E 416 - Thadas steals the book from Ernandre and escapes in the direction of Cyrodiil.

3E 417 - Thadas arrives in Cyrodiil.

3E 419 - Thadas discovers a cult dedicated to the ressurection of his father. Proving himself to be Jagar Tharn's son, they quickly accept him as their leader.

Over the next several years, he uses his persuasive abilities to increase their numbers, and also to begin making plans on how to use what's he's learned to take possession of Uriel Septim's body.

3E 427 (MW) - Thadas is 30 years old. He begins to put his plans into action.

I read about of the first volume of The Real Barenziah and from what I can gather they develop physically at much the same pace as humans-so his teen years would probably still be "teen years". lol

Ah yes, just another note to make-there could be some new dialog options with Barenziah and/or Plitinius Mero, but since we don't know he's Jagar Tharn's son until after the MQ those options wouldn't be available until then in any case. Such dialog options would however shed a bit of light on at least the circumstances of his birth and adoption. His back story could also be revealed in bits through the whole "dream sequence" with bits of Thadas' memories mixed together with Uriel's.

---------------------

Here's some other details that I may have left out:

Thadas encounters the cult as part of his research into his father. I haven't really worked out how exactly he proves himself to be Jaggar's son, perhaps by some unique birthmark, trait or ability-or perhaps there was some sort of ritual involved.

Thadas' motivations are partly revenge and partly "trying to succeed where his father had failed". Jaggar had merely disguised himself as the Emperor whereas Thadas would actually be inhabiting his body.

When he becomes the Emperor, he wants to really use that power moreso than his father had-perhaps engaging a plan to further conquer Nirn somehow.

I think I also mentioned in later posts ideas like how he may be a sociopath, and likely inherited this trait from his father. This means that while he knowns how to be extremely charismatic he only uses this to manipulate people into doing what he wants. He is also a bit ashamed of his father for failing and for not taking enough advantage of his position as Emperor.

I may amend this post a bit more after I re-read what I'd wrote.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Re: Thadas Tharn Backstory

Postby DJGamer » 06 Feb 2011, 22:02

Here's a revised version of Thadas' backstory that I came up with, including a few additional details regarding his birth and the locations he was in during various points in his life.

-----------------

Name: Thadas Tharn
Given Name: Thadas Athera
Adoptive Parents: Hlarvyne and Medilo Athera
Actual Parents: Jagar Tharn and Barenziah
Hometown: Crossdale, wayrest, High Rock
Current Age: 30 years old

As described in The Real Barenziah, she gave birth to an illegitamate son from the relationship she had with the Nightingale (Jaggar Tharn) during the Imperial Simulacrum. He was born a year prior to Barenziah's marriage to Eadwyre of Wayrest, 3E 397. The year is an estimate on my part-considering that she fleed to Wayrest in 396 and assuming this happened near the end of that year so she did actually bear the child until the following year-there is also no note of which year she actually married Eadywre.

In order to avoid a scandal, she gave the child up to a Dunmer couple living in Crossdale, thus he was raised by an adoptive father-Hlarvyne Athera, and adoptive mother-Medilo Athera. They were instructed to raise him as their own and not ever tell him of his true parentage. While they obviously knew or could at least guess that Barthenziah was his mother, they were not told however that Jagar Tharn was the father.

As Thadas grew up he was haunted by strange dreams and felt an uncanny sense of ambition. In his teen years, the dreams became even more intense and vivid. He soon began to doubt that the Aretheras were his true parents. When he questioned them, they denied it, but he could see in their eyes that they were lying. At the age of 15 he ran away from home in search of clues to the meaning of his dreams and to discover who his true father was.

His journey took him along the route to Evermor-through Wind Keep, Azra's Crossing and Grim Dyke.

A recurring image in his dreams was the visage of a nightingale and a sense that this...bird was somehow his true father. Thadas of course did not believe the meaning was meant to be taken litterally-perhaps it was a symbol for something? Researching the name led him to tales of a bard who was believed to have been the evil former Imperial Battlemage Jagar Tharn-upon learning the name he knew in his heart that this man was in fact his true father. He had heard of this man, of course, there were few who hadn't-there was always something about him that Thadas felt he could somehow...connect with. Now things were finally clear, and while the dreams never fully ceased they were no longer as haunting.

In the year 415 3E, some time after Thadas' eighteenth birthday, he came under the tutelage of a skilled Breton necromancer in Evermor by the name of Ernandre. During one of their research expeditions in an ancient ruin, Thadas came upon a tome which described a method through which one can possess another's body by drawing their soul into the realm between life and death through their dreams. Upon hearing Thadas' discovery, Ernandre forbade him from researching it any further-such magic was far too dark, even for one such as him. Ernandre did read through the book, out of curiosity and to add to his own knowledge, but afterwards locked it away. One night, when Ernandre was out of the house, Thadas broke into his room and managing to successfully pick the lock on the chest where he knew Ernandre had hid the book, took it and again set off once again on his own, this time away from his home province of High Rock and towards the "home of his enemy", Cyrodiil.

Over the course of several months Thadas made a long journey, first traveling to Raven Spring, then crossing the border to Hammerfell where he made his way through Dragonstar, Dragon Gate, Belkarth, Nimbel Moor, Elinhir and Stonedale-eventually arriving in Chorrol.

During the following two years he traveled around the province making plans and learning as much as he could about his father's deeds. He also began gathering the ressources he would need to carry out his plans. He came to feel that his father, despite his great ambition, never went far enough to truly realize it.

In 3E 419 his travels took him to Sutch, where he learned of a cult, known as The Order of the Nightingale, whose goal was to ressurect his father (although they had absolutely no idea how to do so). He traveled to the location where one of their base of operations was believed to be-a rather simple cave hidden in the southern base of the Colovian Highlands. There, he showed them a unique birthmark which proved to them that he was truly the son of Tharn. He was eventually inducted as their leader and he used his charisma to significantly increase their numbers and spread the cult further across Cyrodiil. Only a few of the original members actually know that Thadas is the son of Tharn, as he told them it must remain secret.

He was in fact only using the cult as part of an elaborate series of "distractions" to cover his true plans. For added safety, he constructed yet another distraction, appearing to Caula Voria, the Emperor's estranged wife, already weak of mind suffering from the guilt of having not taken any action during the Imperial Simulacrum. Using both his illusion skills and his powers of persuasion he convinced her that one of her sons was in fact a doppleganger put in place by Jagar Tharn. He then went around Cyrodiil, spreading rumors (also using various memembers of the cult) to the same effect. He knew that the disorder caused by such ideas would serve as an even better distraction still to allow him to carry out his true plans.

Upon wrapping up his work, he traveled to the Imperial City and killed one of the Emperor's handmaidens, using his illusion magic to disguise himself as her. This gave him the access he needed to begin casting the magic upon Uriel to begin drawing him into the world of the dead.

The Order of the Nightingale believes Thadas' plan to be to draw Jagar Tharns' soul into Uriel's body-not knowing that it will in fact be Thadas himself. He will in effect be Thadas pretending to be Jagar Tharn pretending to be Uriel Septim if you can follow that. lol

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 06 Feb 2011, 22:12

This is sounding good though Sutch is a bit premature and we don't really want it to be so cluttered. Sutch already has a major quest-line in the works so moving this to another place would be better. Also more time to work things out in this quest-line would be a bonus to move it to a later release. Granted we won't be starting this until basically the world-building is complete, the longer we have to lay the foundations the better.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 06 Feb 2011, 22:28

SamirA wrote:This is sounding good though Sutch is a bit premature and we don't really want it to be so cluttered. Sutch already has a major quest-line in the works so moving this to another place would be better. Also more time to work things out in this quest-line would be a bonus to move it to a later release. Granted we won't be starting this until basically the world-building is complete, the longer we have to lay the foundations the better.

Allow me to elaborate: The base is near Sutch, but it has long since become a "regular" base-the current "headquarters" for the cult is located closer to the Heartlands. The base located near Sutch will be a regular base that just happens to be the first one they created.

Of course, the base we place in the Gold Coast (if we place any base in that region) doesn't have to be the "original base" at all-I just thought it would make things slightly more interesting if it were.

There's also the idea of having a "member" located in Stirk-this will be rather simple with a shrine locked up in his attic which will be reveal little more than the cult's banner and maybe the name.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2011, 03:12

Ok, perhaps a town near Sutch can hold this small base, that can work. I like the Stirk character idea.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 07 Feb 2011, 07:24

SamirA wrote:Ok, perhaps a town near Sutch can hold this small base, that can work. I like the Stirk character idea.

I suppose it could be near a town-might not make sense to have it be incredibly remote, especially if it is small. The general idea is that the cult started out very small but when Thadas came along it expanded quite a bit because he has an unusually magnetic personality.

Like I said in the article about The Order of the Nightingale, the whole idea of having an NPC with a Nightingale shrine in his attic is basically a twist of the whole cliche "shrine to a dark cult in their basement" concept. :lol:

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2011, 07:49

Nothing remote, towns can hardly be considered remote as they are towns and not solitary shacks. Clearly this will still be a hidden base not the whole town will know of it, but a town between the size of Pelegiad and Caldera to the Northeast of Sutch could work. I just don't want there to be so much going on in Sutch that it feels cluttered, we have a HUGE map to cover with interesting quests and landscapes.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Feb 2011, 08:42

SamirA wrote:Nothing remote, towns can hardly be considered remote as they are towns and not solitary shacks. Clearly this will still be a hidden base not the whole town will know of it, but a town between the size of Pelegiad and Caldera to the Northeast of Sutch could work. I just don't want there to be so much going on in Sutch that it feels cluttered, we have a HUGE map to cover with interesting quests and landscapes.

And why couldnt the entire town be inducted? Happened in Hackdirt. Although, out of the entire game, thats probably the place I hated, dont know why, but I just really hated it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2011, 08:53

Because that would belie the whole "this is a small base and where it started" type deal, as well as the fact that you just cited Hackdirt and I don't want to be seen as copying any thing done in Oblivion as it simply isn't Bethesda's best effort regarding anything, which is why we are recreating it in our own way.

Yes that is all one sentence...sue me.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 07 Feb 2011, 20:27

images/orderofnightingale01.jpg

Might as well post it here since it seems the discussion of the Order has kinda just started out here for some reason. lol

As far as the hideout's location-well, my thoughts which I forgot to mention earlier was that it may not make sense to have it be too awfully remote because if it is small it may not quite have the living accommodations that a larger base would have and/or when they got started they did not have the resources to have as much of an actual "living space" of their own so it was mostly uses for meetings and rituals and the like and their actual homes were in the nearby town.

As far as the whole town being "in on it", for me that's not so much a matter of it being "too much like Oblivion"-I personally don't think we should avoid doing something similar to Oblivion like the plague-that said, Hackdirt should stay in Hackdirt-we'll be doing Hackdirt, maybe even expanding upon it a bit, so it's better to keep the "whole town that's part of a cult" concept restricted to there.

That said, there may be a larger number of people that town who are part of the "Order" as opposed to most towns which may have only one or two if any.

Like I said in the Order thread, most of the bases should be treated mostly as "Easter Eggs", where the player randomly stumbles upon it, maybe discovers little bits of information about it but the "whole picture" won't be revealed until the Main Quest itself. They'd be roughly equivalent to the Sixth House bases in Vvardenfell.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Feb 2011, 20:51

Hackdirt is going to be an interesting one. Not sure how best to tackle it since we can't very well uncover and ruin the cult since it has to be in place six years from when we could visit it. It's strange knowing the future of some places as you build them. The past is much easier to deal with.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 11 Feb 2011, 22:31

I'm thinking of writing up a "journal" for Thadas-not sure if it would actually be included in-game, but I'm wanting to flesh out his character a bit more and I'm going so far as to chart his entire journey-first from Wayrest to Evermor then from Evermor to Chorol and then sort of going around Cyrodiil.

Right now an interesting thing I've done is that shortly after he visits Chorrol he takes a small detour to investigate Hackdirt. The idea being that he'd heard some things about it and decided to investigate.

Map Detailing Thadas' Route

Mlima Agtergrond would be the (tentative) name of the town/settlement near Sutch which would be where the cave is located nearby. It's a combination of Swahili for "Hill/Mountain" and African for "Background/Bottom/Foundation".

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Feb 2011, 01:32

I'm not so sure about the name. I would imagine that while it is near Sutch it is still within Cyrodiil and as such should have a more Imperial name, even Sutch is pretty Imperial sounding. I think that a journal might be a cool touch to add in-game.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 12 Feb 2011, 23:14

It seems that Adelpha was the popular vote for an alternate name so I'll probably go in and change that on the map in the near future.

I'll list the other names here for reference:

Mir Colchis
Kadicia
Balicius
Cerash

As far as the journal-I have various ideas for how it might work in-game. One would be finding the entries scattered in various locations in the game world-it's a bit cliche of course but it could be interesting.

The only problem is that there's bound to be spoilers so some of the entries would likely need to be saved until after the player completes the main quest. Another idea I've had is that maybe the journal entries will be scattered exclusively through the main dungeon-perhaps along with areas representing Thadas' own memories, representing how Thadas is beginning to replace Uriel's mind with his own-so the entire dungeon will consist of:

-Memories from Uriel Septim's life.
-Memories from Thadas Tharn's life.
-A few elements from Uriel's visions of the future.

For the last part, I think I've presented a few ideas already-such as showing bits from the destruction of Kvatch, and possibly Ald'Ruhn, etc. The only thing that concerns me somewhat is the statement Uriel makes: "My dreams grant me no opinions of success. Their compass ventures not beyond the doors of death."

I suppose it's cryptic enough that we've got a little flexibility. I think it's possible that maybe the invasion/destruction of Kvatch in-particular was happening near-simultaneous to the period just before Uriel's assassination. I don't think it would give us very much room to include the destruction of Ald'Ruhn-although I'd personally like to see it included. The whole concept is to show things that happen at the time of Oblivion that we can't actually go and see IN Oblivion. Kvatch because we can't arrive there until after its too late and things going on in Morrowind because-well, they're not in Cyrodiil. lol

What we do with it may also depend on what OpenMW will be capable of at the time that we reach this point in developing the mod. If we can for instance produce entirely separate world spaces (actually, that's part of the reason I thought we might eventually NEED to require OpenMW-unless we can somehow produce a reasonably detailed interior-as-exterior for the vanilla version). Anyway, I guess it's far too early to be discussing this aspect in-depth.

Anyway, the journal entries could be scattered throughout the final dungeon and/or you just get the entire journal after defeating him. I'd prefer the gathering route, though-coupled along with some visuals of events and/or locations from his life.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Feb 2011, 23:26

There are plenty of examples of well done interior as exterior builds out there. It may require a ground mesh and a sky box to be created but there are some good ones out there. Midgetalien will be one to talk to about this.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 12 Feb 2011, 23:55

SamirA wrote:There are plenty of examples of well done interior as exterior builds out there. It may require a ground mesh and a sky box to be created but there are some good ones out there. Midgetalien will be one to talk to about this.

Ground mesh wouldnt be difficult(with a bit of texture work you could even include transitions between different textures), I have never never done a sky box before though.

"My dreams grant me no opinions of success. Their compass ventures not beyond the doors of death."

This suggests that he cant see beyond his own death, but he of course already knew he was going to die. So I agree, he probably saw the beginning of what was to come but couldnt see beyond that.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 13 Feb 2011, 00:38

Tarius wrote:
"My dreams grant me no opinions of success. Their compass ventures not beyond the doors of death."

This suggests that he cant see beyond his own death, but he of course already knew he was going to die. So I agree, he probably saw the beginning of what was to come but couldnt see beyond that.

I think they made it purposefully vague to some degree. however. For instance he CAN see that the future CoC is going to play a significant role in the coming events-but how could he know that if he literally couldn't see or otherwise divine anything from beyond his own death? If that were the case, then all he'd know is that this is the prisoner will escape and follow them through their escape route.

Basically, he's saying that there are limits to what he can see, especially beyond his own death. What those limits are is a bit vague-but unfortunately I'm not sure it's vague enough that we could easily get away with showing the future Daedric invasion of Ald'Ruhn. Although it may be possible to show it anyway, maybe as a cut scene as the Emperor explains his visions to the player-it may not necessarily reflect what Uriel "sees", but rather being something of a "flash forward"-also it could basically pertain to the Emperor knowing that the Daedra will invade and it will effect all of Tamriel. Again, it's something we won't necessarily have to worry about for quite awhile-it'd be awesome if we could get someone who could actually create a cut scene like that for us.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 17 Feb 2011, 00:16

Yoyoyo.

Ive expressed this to a small degree before but I will go further here. I think we need a change of direction with Thadas. It always bothers me when I watch a movie or play a video game where I fight against the epitomy of evil. These characters are always unrealistic and remove true immersion from whatever media Im entrenched in. For an example-Hitler murdered and wiped 6 million jews, homosexuals, and other minorities from the face of the earth. But he also brought the German people out of poverty and starvation, he re-established their military and gave the German people a means to protect themselves. While he was obviously a fucked up guy, every way of man is right in his own heart. People don't react without believing they are reacting for just causes. We have to delve deeper into Thadas' being to truly understand why he does what he does, and considering his age he is still very impressionable. So during our quest he should still be learning, still be transforming who he is into the end product. He isnt born evil and doesnt have evil in him waiting to come out. He wasnt born a murderer. So why kill the handmaiden? We need to establish within him ideology backed from his experiences that justifiy in his mind the murder of the girl. We need to create these events and allow Thadas to mold in front of us. How engaging would it be if you could talk with a confused Thadas, a young man trying to understand the world and the cards that had been dealt to him. Imagine feeling sympathetic for him as your friend but knowing you have to stop him for the good of the people. Thats a real plot. Thats an immersive plot.

I just got done watching a movie called "Trade". It chronicles a period of time in which a polish woman gets on a plane for Mexico to later travel to LA to be a model. She is however, kidnapped by a Russian mob boss in Mexico and sold into sex trafficking. This man is sick. He torments her, abuses her sexually, verbally, and physically, and generally I found myself just wanting to beat the shit out of him. In the end of the movie a young man knifes him in the back and kills him. While the young man walks away you see the evil mans son run outside to his dying father and just say "papa..". Instantly you feel pulled in for the kid. If this kid grew up to be a gangster who committed the same atrocities youd still reserve a place in your hart for his one time innocence and for the cruel unjust fate of watching his father die. There are great complexities in a human beings mind and we should waste away our plot without fleshing these things out and ensuring we really get the player to feel for one second that what Thadas is doing is because the society around him failed him, that that society feeds Thadas' fire for doing what he does.

With all that being said-Thadas is a young man in our story. As such, he isnt stone. His growth isnt limited to his magical abilities. Lets change our plot to allow the player to perhaps travel with Thadas, to experience injustices with Thadas. If people can, watch the Motorcycle Diaries. Its amovie about Che Guevara traveling through South America and witnessing the extreme poverty of the poor farmers. Its these experiences for the young doctor that turns him into the revolutionary that changed Cuba forever. It turned him into a man that could point a gun and kill Cubans in the name of ideals. I want more of these type of engaging stories. In Oblivion you dont feel anything when you go to Camerons paradise to kill him. There is NO inner conflict. So you dont walk away with a question and without having that question, the plot doesnt stick to you.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Feb 2011, 00:50

I like it. This is a solid idea that we should explore more of and flesh out like ZackG said.

I also think there are many areas of the project that really need to be delved into before we progress past Stirk. One thing we used to have was a lot of discussion about things at the old site (TOS from here on) and that has since left us. I keep trying to revive the conversation from TOS but it seems as if I post to myself sometimes. While I am all for designing things myself I really would rather have input and confirmation of ideas. We need to decide what creatures we need, are we going to change the looks of some of the creatures from Oblivion? We need to nail down region concepts and what plants grow where. We also need to flesh out what factions we will have in Cyrodiil and how we will implement them. The most important thing to me right now though is creating our map. We can't go around haphazardly doing exterior work without a plan. We have a landmass with mountains and a few rivers so we need to be able to see our mountains and rivers in a top down view and then decide where we are going to be adding new rivers and where the roads will run and where we want new settlements to be also where on our map existing settlements will be. Stirk we can finish without all of this but Stirk is just the beginning and I expect us to be much better as a team by the time it is done and we are moving to the Gold Coast.

For the sake of discussion and ideas Myself and Dirnae have started an IRC channel for P:C. I strongly suggest you guys jump on and see what it is all about. It is a great place for discussion of ideas in real time. Both Skyrim and TR use an IRC channel as well. So if you guys want (and please do) jump on IRC and join #cyrodiil so that we can get the ball rolling on where we are trying to go.
Project Coordinator

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 17 Feb 2011, 01:21

If you're using firefox and want to join IRC, just click on the link:

#cyrodiil

Like SamirA said it's great for discussions, I'll be on there often, though my timezone is GMT so you might not see me often.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Next

Return to Main Quest/Blades