Quest Ideas Thread: Have an idea? Post it here.

Forum for quests yet to be placed in a particular location.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Quest Ideas Thread: Have an idea? Post it here.

Postby Tarius » 31 Jul 2011, 20:38

Ok, I figured since this idea isnt a quest, but could be used as part of one and there wasnt a thread for this, I should post one.

Ok, now I am not sure whether if the telekinesis spell is actually used much or not, but I know I never had much use for it.
Anyway, someone mentioned on the main forum that they were going to have a key behind a gate that you could only retrieve through use of telekinesis and I thought hey, thats a great idea. So I think utilizing that would be cool.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Quest Ideas Thread: Have an idea? Post it here.

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2011, 21:32

Yeah, you use it once or twice for stealing things in quests back on Vvardenfell, but it would be a good idea to utilize it more for stuff in Cyrodiil. An entire quest line devoted to telekinesis in our Mages Guild might even be a cool way to make players utilize the underused spell or scrolls.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Oct 2011, 07:08

Moved from another place.
We need something somewhere called the "Quest of the Mind" so we can drive people out of theirs. haha (Quest of the Mind driving you out of yours? haha)

Can we limit the murder stories here? Those just seem so cliche now-a-days. One here or there wouldnt be a problem, but we dont need one occuring in every city or farming village. At least in the random quest area anyway.

We need to have Vidkun involved with the well in Cheydinhall in some way. hah

An interesting thought, the city guard of one of the cities does not like vigilanties and will arrest you if they find out you have been out killing bandits nearby. Would be an interesting quest. Perhaps guard captain is being bribed in some way, blackmailed, or someone being held hostage. Would make a good plot for one of the cities.

A lone vampire random quest.
A boy or girl(think teen or something) was biten by a vampire recently and is struggling to come to terms with what has happened. Outcome could be quite variable here. I will leave the details up to others this is just an idea.

OO!! OO!! We need an arsen quest! Where someones house has been gutted by fire. Dont think I have ever seen one of these.

I am thinking something like bigfoot sightings, although obviously not with bigfoot.

Another interesting thought, a beastiary in the middle of the jungle. Think mad scientist here, except this would probably be mad wizard. What do you think of a vizzerdrix? or something like that? This could be related to above.
A bored wizard once created a vizzerdrix out of a bunny and a piranha. He never made that mistake again.

Another interesting thought. That wizard who made things invisible from Oblivion, he obviously was into that sort of research. You know of movies how they always have a "before they knew what they were doing" scene(like things in test tubes etc), well he probably experimented on animals before. Something related to this would be cool.

Related to the stuff above, we always see this lone wizards going about doing stuff but they never seem to have any laboratories of their own, heck, even that crazy moonsugar guy from Bloodmoon had a house. So we need wizard labs scattered about.

Another interesting thought, teleporter accidents. haha
Can we stick an Argonian's head on a human body ya think? Or mabe switch a Kajiit and an Argonian. Or mabe someone accidently wound up inside a wall. Good mystery plot here too. Yes! Imagine having a hand or even a pair of legs sticking out from a wall.

Ok I can keep mind vomiting here, but I think I will stop on account I need to go to bed.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Oct 2011, 07:16

Another thought, on the subject of Hackdirt. It will be hard to have all the inhabitants whiped out before they otherwise should be.

The idea seems like kinda a cop out to me, but it does deal with the problem here.
Simply put boxes on top of the Hackdirt cavern hatches and call them "Blocked Hatch". This allows for there to still be hatchs without the PC going and killing everyone in town.

An alternate but possibly cooler idea is that they all teleported through a portal of some sort that the PC cant access. In fact, I would make this into a mystery quest of what happened to everyone in Hackdirt. The town would be completely empty and in the end the PC would find out they had all left through a portal of some sort for a while. Not to return during the duration of the game of course.
Could also substitute portal with unpassable passage to deep underground. Portal may be cooler though.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 31 Oct 2011, 15:44

We can't worry too much about player actions in P:C-after all we inevitably have to include some characters in P:C that appear in Oblivion like Jaufree and Ottaco and the player could kill those guys as well and be like "Ha ha! This mod has GREAT continuity with Oblivion!"

As long as the GOAL of the quest doesn't involve killing all the inhabitants of Hackdirt I think we'll be fine. If the player wants to go and intentionally do something that breaks continuity with Oblivion that's their problem.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Oct 2011, 22:04

The thing with continuity is that we can't control the player, but we can control our quests. As long as we don't make obviously lore-breaking or story-breaking quests then we are fine. The player can choose to rewrite history if they so choose. Technically you can kill people in Morrowind that are in Oblivion so the same holds true there, but the story doesn't conflict.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Oct 2011, 23:26

SamirA wrote:The thing with continuity is that we can't control the player, but we can control our quests. As long as we don't make obviously lore-breaking or story-breaking quests then we are fine. The player can choose to rewrite history if they so choose. Technically you can kill people in Morrowind that are in Oblivion so the same holds true there, but the story doesn't conflict.

I never said anything about trying to control the player. However, the thing here is that the people of Hackdirt dont like outsiders, so having one "invade" their cave area would be certain to provoke a hostile response, hence the need for the player to end up killing them all. In fact, I can garuntee that anyone who knows what happened there in Oblivion would likely go to the Hackdirt caves specifically because they could kill off a bunch of townsfolk; or they are curious with what is done with the town in this mod and wouldnt mind killing them all anyway.
Anyway, never try to blatently control what the player does, just insert circumstances where they are controlled unknowingly.(I say this half jokingly; you know how I go around darknut not allowing levitation in the dwemer ruins? I made a massive jump spell, hah)
In this case I think a missing person mystery would still be fun to have because anyone going there would completely not be expecting it to be empty.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Nov 2011, 02:13

My post was more for DJ, Tarius. Merely saying that to worry about the player killing someone that is supposed to be in Oblivion several years later is something you can't do. We simply can't have aquest requiring the player to do so.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 01 Nov 2011, 04:04

SamirA wrote:My post was more for DJ, Tarius. Merely saying that to worry about the player killing someone that is supposed to be in Oblivion several years later is something you can't do. We simply can't have aquest requiring the player to do so.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make actually, but thanks for restating it in case I wasn't quite understood-I do tend to ramble a little sometimes. :frankensheo: (FYI I'll be switching to the Thanksgiving one soon).

I did consider the idea that the player might want to kill the citizens of Hackdirt, either because they know who they are from playing Oblivion or they get some sense of accomplishment from doing something that breaks continuity.

As for them potentially becoming hostile if you enter their caves-we could potentially work around that-for instance by introducing new characters not in Oblivion who are presently tending to the caves. Of course the idea of having everyone missing is kind of interesting too but there's a question of how we might make that exciting and interesting.

I don't think we ever actually get to see the "Deep Ones", and it's probably for the best though I think it would be cool to do a quest that really has a more horrific atmosphere to it which I don't recall the Hackdirt Quest in Oblivion particularly having.

I'd kind of want to have a quest where the player suddenly finds themselves without any of their weapons and unable to use magic and/or facing enemies that magic and weapons are completely useless against (which might actually be more cruel since the player might think they've got a fighting chance at first). It wouldn't necessarily have to be the Deep Ones themselves but some possibly related abominations or something. The idea would be to have a quest that would be something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent where the only way to get past enemies is to run and hide somewhere.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Nov 2011, 06:12

DJGamer wrote:
SamirA wrote:My post was more for DJ, Tarius. Merely saying that to worry about the player killing someone that is supposed to be in Oblivion several years later is something you can't do. We simply can't have aquest requiring the player to do so.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make actually, but thanks for restating it in case I wasn't quite understood-I do tend to ramble a little sometimes. :frankensheo: (FYI I'll be switching to the Thanksgiving one soon).

I did consider the idea that the player might want to kill the citizens of Hackdirt, either because they know who they are from playing Oblivion or they get some sense of accomplishment from doing something that breaks continuity.

As for them potentially becoming hostile if you enter their caves-we could potentially work around that-for instance by introducing new characters not in Oblivion who are presently tending to the caves. Of course the idea of having everyone missing is kind of interesting too but there's a question of how we might make that exciting and interesting.

I don't think we ever actually get to see the "Deep Ones", and it's probably for the best though I think it would be cool to do a quest that really has a more horrific atmosphere to it which I don't recall the Hackdirt Quest in Oblivion particularly having.

I'd kind of want to have a quest where the player suddenly finds themselves without any of their weapons and unable to use magic and/or facing enemies that magic and weapons are completely useless against (which might actually be more cruel since the player might think they've got a fighting chance at first). It wouldn't necessarily have to be the Deep Ones themselves but some possibly related abominations or something. The idea would be to have a quest that would be something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent where the only way to get past enemies is to run and hide somewhere.

Ah, just make the houses "haunted"(picture dismissive hand waving).

Quest Idea: The Dirt on Hackdirt(hmm bit corny name)
In fact, imagine if that after the PC gets to the town and discovers it is disserted, they decide to sleep there and upon waking up find they cant actually leave; when they get to the edge of one side of the town and try to leave, they instead appear on the other side. Now obviously, treading carefully is required when you trap someone like that, but it would certainly be panic inducing. Perhaps leaving would be as simple as cast a recall or intervention spell and if they were to come back and sleep again the same scenario would play out until they solved what was happening. Imagine the outside being dark and foggy during the trapped period; kinda like they are in another dimension.(although I suppose that would be closest to the truth because upon sleeping they would be warped into another cell)

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Nov 2011, 17:43

I just had a wacky idea-we could make an in-joke quest based on this interview:

http://ghfmod.us/5onn

PC Gamer Article wrote:PC Gamer: We’ve heard about the Radiant Story system ensuring a kidnap victim is someone you’ve already met. Can you give any other examples of stuff you’ve seen it do, maybe stuff that surprised you?

Todd Howard: Let’s see… something that was good lately – but this was a bug – lately we realised that chickens were reporting crimes. I found that very funny. That was just last week: “Why are we getting caught?” “Oh, the chickens are reporting the crimes!”

We could have an eccentric criminal somewhere (perhaps his brain has been addled by you-know-who :thksgiv: ) who wants the player to go kill some chickens at a nearby farm whom he believes are ratting him out.

Actually, he doesn't even need to be a proper criminal, just someone who has done something that he believes the chickens will report to the Imperial Guard.

"The chickens! They KNOW!! They know what I did!" :nyansheo:

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Nov 2011, 20:40

DJGamer wrote:I just had a wacky idea-we could make an in-joke quest based on this interview:

PC Gamer Article wrote:PC Gamer: We’ve heard about the Radiant Story system ensuring a kidnap victim is someone you’ve already met. Can you give any other examples of stuff you’ve seen it do, maybe stuff that surprised you?

Todd Howard: Let’s see… something that was good lately – but this was a bug – lately we realised that chickens were reporting crimes. I found that very funny. That was just last week: “Why are we getting caught?” “Oh, the chickens are reporting the crimes!”

We could have an eccentric criminal somewhere (perhaps his brain has been addled by you-know-who :thksgiv: ) who wants the player to go kill some chickens at a nearby farm whom he believes are ratting him out.

Actually, he doesn't even need to be a proper criminal, just someone who has done something that he believes the chickens will report to the Imperial Guard.

Name the guy Todd Howard.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Nov 2011, 22:14

Tarius wrote:
DJGamer wrote:I just had a wacky idea-we could make an in-joke quest based on this interview:

Name the guy Todd Howard.

Hodd Toward or Ddot Drawoh :thksgiv:

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 10 Nov 2011, 23:08

D'dot Dra-woh, an Orc. Fits the game nicely.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 14 Jan 2012, 20:30

There should be a quest called the Queen of Blades. haha Yes thats a Starcraft reference.
The point is that the head of gang/bandit/pirate group is either looking for help or someone wants them to be killed etc. There could be a choice to either kill her or help her. If the route is taken to help her, then it could be quite expansive with multiple quests.
As for the title, well you guess it, she is damned good with blades and I am thinking this is one of those bandit/pirate/etc leaders that is not a pushover (like in fact 95% of them are pushovers). Perhaps even give her a special blade of some type as a reward if someone manages to kill her.

For the look of this person, I dont think I have ever seen anyone actually covered in knives and swords of all types. I am actually imagining an Imperial or elf here. If elf, then some sort of magicka could be added, say healing or something along those lines.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Secret Quests

Postby Tarius » 29 Feb 2012, 02:24

Ok, here is another idea. Sprinkle quests around that can only be found during another quest. Obviously, they wouldnt easy to find, hence the name secret.
How they would sart I would think could be random, but it shouldnt be too hard to make things appear only during a given quest and then have them disappear again once some part of the quest had been completed. Something like this would give people a reason to explore somewhere more than once rather than just exploring it once and then if they need to go there again, just doing only whats needed. Would be interesting if they were all linked, but that isnt really needed and might be too much.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Sep 2012, 14:38

Maybe we can do a coast road parody of Half Life 2 since I notice sutch to anvil has a road along the coast.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 01 Sep 2012, 15:08

Yes! Swarms of mud crabs attacking unsuspecting travellers! :scamp:
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Sep 2012, 21:19

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Yes! Swarms of mud crabs attacking unsuspecting travellers! :scamp:

Its been over a year since I last traveled the coast road and I have no reason to believe its any safer now. Its mud crab breeding season, so you better be careful. haha

If we can increase their speed a little bit, or maybe use something else instead of mudcrabs(maybe land dreughs). Whatever we use, it has to be fast enough to catch the player if they arnt moving full speed.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 01 Sep 2012, 22:30

collapsed bridge over a mudcrab breeding area. Navigating terrain will slow them down enough. Just have to make detouring through where the mudcrabs are look like the better path (at first).
Paladin of Vaermina

Next

Return to General Quests