The Resources of Cyrodiil

Odds & Ends.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

The Resources of Cyrodiil

Postby SamirA » 17 Jan 2011, 18:48

This thread does not mean resources as in the other thread, but rather the natural resources found in Cyrodiil.

The Skyrim project recently created a similar thread and I got to thinking about how we need a thread such as this.

I think first and foremost the mineral resources of Cyrodiil should include Gold and Mithril, though not in huge amounts as they are supposed to be fairly rare items (more so Mithril). We also need other natural resources that we will need to create for Cyrodiil, so get to thinking!
Project Coordinator

Osidian
P:C Modder

Re: The Resources of Cyrodiil

Postby Osidian » 17 Jan 2011, 19:09

I imagine gold mines being very few and maybe very localized in one region. Like, as an example, putting most of them in the Jerall Mountains even if there are a few more in other places. After all gold should be a very valuable resource. Or do you think they should be more widespread even if rare?

As for more common minerals I think we need iron and copper. And silver. Maybe rock salt mines?

As for non-mineral resources, maybe some tree exclusive to Cyrodiil that become some kind of highly valuable wood, maybe the kind of wood the nibanese (rich furniture?) really like.

edit: Coal!
I am no salmon – Dagon

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 17 Jan 2011, 20:36

In the thread where I mentioned Mithril, it was brought up that it was in line with the rarity of glass (at least in terms of the associated armor). It's possible that Cyrodiil could be as strong a source of Mithril as Morrowind is of Glass-and/or it could be restricted more to the Western end of Cyrodiil closer to Hammerfell.

I.E. There could be a Mithril mine in Stirk and I already suggested that the Kali Mes use Mithril for most of their weapons. Perhaps some of their illegal activities also involve Mithril as well.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 17 Jan 2011, 21:03

If mithril is that rare, I doubt a crime syndicate would have most of their weapons made of mithril. I can see the figureheads having them though. And it sounds good that they take pride in it and use a mithril weapon as their symbol.

The imperials would certainly guard most of their mithril mines very well, with the exception of the ones unknown to them.
I am no salmon – Dagon

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Jan 2011, 21:45

I agree with both of you on your statements regarding Gold and Mithril.

Mithril will be our (Cyrodiil's) version of Glass, we will need all new weapons and armor for it (yay! who doesn't love new weapons and armor?) and it should be scattered around in the same manner as glass is in Morrowind.

Gold should be a big resource for us though still fairly rare, I like the regional idea of the deposits and I had a similar idea myself, but I think it would do better in the jungle regions surrounding the Heartlands. While this is technically more than one region, each region will cover more than just the jungle areas and so if the gold deposits are held only in the jungle it will still be "regional". I am thinking of the jungle because of the vast gold deposits found in Brazil during the colonial period. We can run similar style of mines (though not run by slave-labor obviously since that is outlawed in Cyrodiil).

As far as other resources I think we should go with things that we can find within the game world already (like Rubies, or Emeralds...they have to come from mines somewhere, also Iron would be a good resource for Cyrodiil.) if we branch out into copper we will need to create more items from that material or else it would seem to be a worthless resource within Tamriel and would not have a purpose.
Project Coordinator

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 17 Jan 2011, 22:25

Yes, we should have ruby and emerald mines.

Any region is fine for the gold mines to be, the Jerall Mountains were merely an example.

I had never noticed until now that Vvardenfell only had 3 different mineral resources: glass, ebony and diamond (just one diamond mine though). Besides those there were only the egg mines.
I am no salmon – Dagon

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Aug 2011, 10:30

Copper would be quite a useful metal to mine, even if you don't make weapons and armour out of it. Copper can be mixed with zinc to make brass, or with tin to make bronze. Those other metals can be found in other provinces (I imagine High Rock being rich in tin - don't know why, I just do).
Wikipedia wrote:Brass has a muted yellow color which is somewhat similar to gold. It is relatively resistant to tarnishing, and is often used as decoration and for coins. In antiquity, polished brass was often used as a mirror.

Wikipedia wrote:Bronze was especially suitable for use in boat and ship fittings prior to the wide employment of stainless steel owing to its combination of toughness and resistance to salt water corrosion.... It is also widely used for cast bronze sculpture.

Edit: 100th post
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 18 Aug 2011, 12:45

Since mithril is made out of ancestor moths' silk, it seems the mithril mines we talked about have been scraped.
I am no salmon – Dagon

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Aug 2011, 14:04

Minerals of Morrowind wrote:Most of the Empire's gold comes from the West... Due to lack of gold in Morrowind, it wouldn't be effective to begin mining operations, not when it can be mined on the Western side of Tamriel for much less.

That's from a TR book.

So the mines should be gold, silver, iron, copper and possibly some gemstones as well.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Aug 2011, 15:47

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Edit: 100th post

Congratz :party:

Lady Nerevar
P:C Legend

Postby Lady Nerevar » 19 Aug 2011, 18:27

Silk, in all its forms, would be a natural resource and export. Fabric of various qualities (silk, cloth-of-gold, samite, laces, etc.), clothing, thread, mithril armor, magical/ceremonial/utilitarian items made of silk.

Cyrodiil also has ample waterways, which would make fish and sea products a resource and industry. The jungle also provides lumber and potentially has medicinal/alchemical plants. The PGE mentions rice farming, which could be both a food crop and export. Tea, papyrus, sugar cane, fruits, and exotic (for funsies) vegetables could also work.

In general, colonial powers tend to focus on creation of manufactured goods, relying on their colonies for resources. Personally, I think it'd be great to show examples of industry (lumber mills, fisheries, plantations, looms, etc.) as well as natural resources. Cyrodiil is an economic center, after all.

[edit] Wiki has a good article about Han economy, could be comparable to Cyrodiil.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 19 Aug 2011, 19:36

Thanks N this all sounds great. We certainly plan on having rice farms in the Nibenese areas. I would also like to have some more unique plants and veggies as you suggest.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 07 Sep 2011, 21:02

Quarries.

Where else would all the stone come from?
SamirA wrote:
Haha, bethstapo.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 01 Feb 2012, 21:45

I would like to see some models for industries, and harbours.

Momo made a few nice dockcranes and fish netting for example.

Also cyrodiilic looms, pottery ovens, bakery ovens, glassware blowing items, iron rods, plate metal presses, oil presses, windmills, grinding stones etc etc. IMO every city should have some factory and main trade item, with the capital having more, and more expensive stuff.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2012, 01:04

We have dock cranes, looms, fish nets, and a few other industry related things. I am also all for this stuff being included as it adds to the realism. I know there is a grindstone out there somewhere which would be great to see at Smithys.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Feb 2012, 01:45

We dont have Mana Bloom plant do we? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ambrosia

Would be nice to see this in various mages' gardens and more accessable than it was in Oblivion.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2012, 02:04

The thing with that is it is only available in one place for a reason. We could add some into higher ranking mages guild areas though, but that will come later once we have planned more of that.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Feb 2012, 02:55

SamirA wrote:The thing with that is it is only available in one place for a reason. We could add some into higher ranking mages guild areas though, but that will come later once we have planned more of that.

Thats why I checked it, its not only available in the Paradise place, it also shows up at one of the guilds meaning it exists elsewhere.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2012, 03:29

It was added as DLC in those areas though, which means it was added to please gamers rather than to fit into the world.

Again, I think this is probably a good idea to include in higher ranking mages guild gardens and things as you suggested. It just shouldn't be growing naturally in Cyrodiil.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 11 Jul 2012, 18:57

Tarius' post here gave me an idea for a landscape feature: disused stone quarries, once used by the Ayleids to mine that white stone they use for all their buildings. They could be overgrown with plants or filled with water, as in these pictures: [1] [2] [3]

Next

Return to Miscellaneous