Aquaducts

Tile-Sets for locations not specific to any major towns or cities.
Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Aquaducts

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 May 2013, 01:38

I don't really need to write much here.

Aquaducts are pretty Roman, Cyrodiil is pretty Roman, aquaducts would be pretty Cyrociilic.

The GC is a little bit too flat for them, but they could be useful near Kvatch because of the CH's altitude. They'd also be a good way of emulating rivers in the mountains (specially in Nibeney.)

I'm sure there was a thread for this before, nearly 2 years ago... But nothing ever came of it, I don't think.

So would anyone like to model one for us? :poke: Please?

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Aquaducts

Postby SamirA » 01 May 2013, 01:44

I love the idea of having them, so much opportunity, in fact if we paired them with Ayleid ruins it would give us some really cool potential designs. We could have intact functioning ones in areas and ruined ones paired with Ayleid structures. Just a lot of neat visual possibilities by making some pretty basic meshes.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 May 2013, 02:16

SamirA wrote:I love the idea of having them, so much opportunity, in fact if we paired them with Ayleid ruins it would give us some really cool potential designs. We could have intact functioning ones in areas and ruined ones paired with Ayleid structures. Just a lot of neat visual possibilities by making some pretty basic meshes.

This could be cool, then the imperials got the idea for the Aylieds he used it first (copying a culture a something we don't see much of outside of Akavir infuence.) The colour theme would tie in nice, with Weklyn stones being so close to water in colour.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 May 2013, 02:24

That was my thinking, another bit of Ayleid cultural impression on the Cyrodiils outside of the Imperial City. It makes no sense at all that the Imperial City is the only relic which the Cyrodiils kept from the Ayleid.
Project Coordinator

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 01 May 2013, 03:16

Would really like aquaducts as well. We have the water statics available for the running water. And for once MJY made an actual decent one with a fair uv map as part of his resources we could grab.

Although if we have Aylied ones as well. we will need some good models for that.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 May 2013, 04:42

I think if we have aquaducts, we will need fairly good planning on their implementation so they dont look tacky. Since they have a rather specific purpose, I think a bit of planning could go into their implementation.

First we could do concepts. However, I would envision there being like 3 parts to it. A large bottom level, a mid sized middle level and than the upper level that would be the smallest and have the actual water in it. These things would have to be as tall as city walls at least, or close to it. The lower two levels would only be used to fill in gaps when the ground dips away.
Another thing would be level to level conversions where the water would cascade down one level and that level(middle level)(in this case it would be a middle to top level conversion) would transform into the top level and then it would keep going. This would allow for steps.

I think we should figure out where on the map we want them because they cover a fairly large amount of distance.

Also, this would mean figuring out what ayleid ruins would have them. Since so many are already inundated, it wouldnt make as much sense to have them there? Perhaps they would be reserved for more mountainous places?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 May 2013, 16:50

You guys think way too literal at times. We are making a province in a world full of magic and strange creatures. Buildings carved out of the carapace of a giant bug, everything doesn't need to work on the physics of our own world. If we want the water to run UPhill it should be possible through some means on Nirn. I'm not saying we should, but there is no real reason to plan out a whole system for something that in the end will just be eye candy whether it could function in our world or not.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 01 May 2013, 17:45

So why would we need new models for this when you can make them just fine using the standard imperial tileset? Looks pretty neat methinks.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 May 2013, 21:34

Depends on the way we want to go. We can certainly use those, but I was thinking more of something that blended with the ayleid set, but they could easily still be as simply as those imp meshes.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 May 2013, 23:11

SamirA wrote:You guys think way too literal at times. We are making a province in a world full of magic and strange creatures. Buildings carved out of the carapace of a giant bug, everything doesn't need to work on the physics of our own world. If we want the water to run UPhill it should be possible through some means on Nirn. I'm not saying we should, but there is no real reason to plan out a whole system for something that in the end will just be eye candy whether it could function in our world or not.

Well as far as I know, buildings still follow basic principles anyway.

Anyway, yea, thats a good idea, using those walls. However, I tend to agree that we should have something that blends in better.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 May 2013, 23:41

Tarius wrote:
SamirA wrote:You guys think way too literal at times. We are making a province in a world full of magic and strange creatures. Buildings carved out of the carapace of a giant bug, everything doesn't need to work on the physics of our own world. If we want the water to run UPhill it should be possible through some means on Nirn. I'm not saying we should, but there is no real reason to plan out a whole system for something that in the end will just be eye candy whether it could function in our world or not.

Well as far as I know, buildings still follow basic principles anyway.

Anyway, yea, thats a good idea, using those walls. However, I tend to agree that we should have something that blends in better.

We could probably just mash up the imperial set to make it work unique, and be more similar with the Aylied version and vise versa.

And the problem with just using those meshes, Scamp, is that they don't have ends.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 02 May 2013, 01:03

this is the one i was talking about.
Attachments
mjy roman aquaduc.rar
(59.86 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Paladin of Vaermina

Return to Dungeon & Common