SWG's Fort Ruins

Tile-Sets for locations not specific to any major towns or cities.
starwarsgal9875
P:C Legend

SWG's Fort Ruins

Postby starwarsgal9875 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:22

Well, last night I got started on the fort meshes and this morning I made a texture for the exterior.

Fort test:
http://i42.tinypic.com/dqkv9h.jpg

As you can see, it's coming along well, and within the next few days I should have more textures done and a few more meshes too. Keep in mind that the shot above was simply a test to see how my fort would look like with the texture on it, that's not how it'll look for the final.

Any suggestions, comments, or critiques are welcome, keep in mind I've already planned how I'm going to make the tileset.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: SWG's Fort Ruins

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 19:23

Originally posted by ZXT012

I like the model, it looks very "ruinish". Can you explain those white stripes on the texture, it looks like shining bricks.
Keep up the good work.
Project Coordinator

starwarsgal9875

Postby starwarsgal9875 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:24

ZXT012 wrote:Can you explain those white stripes on the texture, it looks like shining bricks.
Keep up the good work.

The "white strips" are simply caused by blender's lighting, it's not on the texture.

The model actually looks much better when it's not in render mode, it just looks more 3d like this.

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 04 Jan 2011, 19:25

looks amazing, SWG! can't wait the get these pieces in the CS and work with them.

the first criticism that comes to mind is that perhaps the doorways are a little narrow.

keep up the good work.

starwarsgal9875

Postby starwarsgal9875 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:27

QuixoteUgly wrote:the first criticism that comes to mind is that perhaps the doorways are a little narrow.

It's directly based on an Oblivion piece, the doorway isn't narrow at all, since the whole mesh is actually pretty darn big.

Tonight I'm going to work on it a little more, maybe get a few more textures done, and a few more meshes too.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 19:28

Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard

Once you're finished with the model, slice it up into individual pieces so it can be modulized (and then the modulized pieces can be altered to create multiple versions).

Also, the main version of the Forts are alittle more greenish -there's only one Unique version that's more Whitish, and I beleive it was used for Sancre Tor.
Project Coordinator

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 04 Jan 2011, 19:28

The Old Ye Bard wrote:Also, the main version of the Forts are alittle more greenish -there's only one Unique version that's more Whitish, and I beleive it was used for Sancre Tor.

we've actually talked about doing multiple sets of ruins, with slightly different textures (mossy, dry, snowy, etc) dependent on where in Cyrodiil they are used and the surrounding environment.

starwarsgal9875

Postby starwarsgal9875 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:30

The Old Ye Bard wrote:Once you're finished with the model, slice it up into individual pieces so it can be modulized (and then the modulized pieces can be altered to create multiple versions).

Also, the main version of the Forts are alittle more greenish -there's only one Unique version that's more Whitish, and I beleive it was used for Sancre Tor.

I'm not going to do that, I've already planned how I'm going to make the tileset.

And the texture matches it's Oblivion counterpart almost perfectly, it's just blender's lighting (which I suck at) that makes it look like that.

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 04 Jan 2011, 19:30

man, you've got to be a little more open-minded than that. TOYB isn't trying to pick on you or anything by mentioning the virtues of splitting the pieces up. it just makes it easier for those doing exteriors to provide variations in the concept.

as far as the texture goes, i'll take your word for it.. but we're still making the regional variations, right?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 19:31

Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard

I don't understand the need for regional variation, as the forts as they were worked fine in Oblivion, they looked great either in Snow, or Swamp, or in the High Lands, and everywhere else.

And no, I wasn't saying it to be mean, but rather for the variation, as pretty much every single Fort in Oblivion had a unique makeup, and while it would be quite a mission to create each of them exactly the same as they were, they should still probably be all unique (which is only really acheivable by making it modular).
Project Coordinator

QuixoteUgly

Postby QuixoteUgly » 04 Jan 2011, 19:32

underachiever?

i think the idea is that our regions would be at least a little more defined than those in OB. that doesn't mean that they didn't look good in the game, just that maybe we could improve upon the concept. more options is the key. use them or not, but it's nice to have them.

starwarsgal9875

Postby starwarsgal9875 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:33

I do agree that Oblivion did a great job of making the forts look good in all environment conditions, but it is still possible we can do better, however, we'll see about it when I'm done the main stuff, because texture variations could just end up eating too much file space.

Return to Dungeon & Common