Ayleid Ruins

Tile-Sets for locations not specific to any major towns or cities.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Ayleid Ruins

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2011, 19:21

This is for the discussion and screenshots of the Ayleid ruin exteriors. I'm unsure as to who made what, so feel free to post up what is actually in PC_Data.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Ayleid Ruins

Postby Tarius » 03 Jun 2011, 06:56

So I have been working on Ayleid textures and this is a result. I took what I made and applied it to an Oblivion model. I actually have this same model already made but not UVed. So the point of this is to see what it looks like quicker. I am not sure if thats good enough, I may need to work on the seams between the stones some and make them less apparent? Well, there is a reason I saved everything I worked with.
Attachments
before.jpg
Before
before.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
after.jpg
After
after.jpg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Jun 2011, 11:09

I like, Tarius! Especially the green parts are magnificent, making it look more ruinous and old. I agree you could work on the transitions in some spots, but overall this looks like a really good start !(Not that I could tell you anything, no idea about modeling :mrgreen: )

Anyways, it looks a lot brighter than the stuff I have seen on the official forums.
I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 03 Jun 2011, 18:29

It looks good, though as you say, the seams could do with being shallower and less even to give it that 'weathered' look. Otherwise you seem to have captured the feel of the original texture pretty well. Maybe you could add a few more details from the original, like the small mossy spots and bright patches?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Jun 2011, 00:26

Ok, I made the seams less apparent. I think they are ok now after having spent far too much time on them.

Maybe you could add a few more details from the original, like the small mossy spots and bright patches?

I messed with this some, but just couldnt get a nice feel to it, seeing as how they already look good enough, and dinginess would likely be more uniform anyway, I left it alone.
Attachments
after2.jpg
After Again
after2.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 8864 times
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jun 2011, 01:21

The seams need to be rougher I think. It looks like these stones were cut with power tools yesterday rather than hand tools as is more likely and having been weathered for years and years. Overall though this is a nice texture and with a little more work will certainly do. Good work so far Tarius.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Jun 2011, 02:36

SamirA wrote:The seams need to be rougher I think. It looks like these stones were cut with power tools yesterday rather than hand tools as is more likely and having been weathered for years and years. Overall though this is a nice texture and with a little more work will certainly do. Good work so far Tarius.

I will leave it alone for now. The problem is that I have to find a rough edge I can work with from an existing texture/picture etc. As it is, I already spent a ton of time messing around with it and would like to move on to getting other things done. I figure I will revisit it later, but for now I will leave it alone.(in case you are wondering all the textures are a wopping 2048x2048 which adds to the problem of finding stuff, I may scale them down tho)

If anyone can find something I can work with please go right ahead. I have already scoured mayang and cgtextres though. I may have of course missed something. Either way, I will still be looking for more material as I do other textures.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jun 2011, 02:56

what are the file sizes on the textures Tarius? A scale down may be good because some of the zackg textures are thousands of KB a file and that makes them by far the larges files in our project. We want nice quality but we don't want to have a gigantic final file if we can avoid it.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 04 Jun 2011, 03:23

SamirA wrote:what are the file sizes on the textures Tarius? A scale down may be good because some of the zackg textures are thousands of KB a file and that makes them by far the larges files in our project. We want nice quality but we don't want to have a gigantic final file if we can avoid it.

I think the maximum texture size for P:C should be 1024 pixels and even then we might use that sparingly and go for 512 pixel resolution on average depending on how much detail we want/need to show for a particular thing. High resolution for the sake of high resolution is just wasteful and will result in low performance on less capable machines. Also, like SamirA said it also takes up more space. Textures are likely to make up 75% of our data files, possibly more.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Jun 2011, 04:21

SamirA wrote:what are the file sizes on the textures Tarius? A scale down may be good because some of the zackg textures are thousands of KB a file and that makes them by far the larges files in our project. We want nice quality but we don't want to have a gigantic final file if we can avoid it.

At the moment I have yet to convert them to .dds. However it seems that files that size compress to 2.66mb in .dds format for dxt1. Down from 16mb for full uncompressed tga. Usually, seems to depend on the texture though.(I tested one as well to make sure and it shrank to 2.66mb)There are like 21 Ayleid stone textures. Considering one shrank to that size, I would say they all will.

I took my time while replying so I will reply to this:

I think the maximum texture size for P:C should be 1024 pixels and even then we might use that sparingly and go for 512 pixel resolution on average depending on how much detail we want/need to show for a particular thing.

Well if you wanted a hard limit why didnt you say so?

High resolution for the sake of high resolution is just wasteful and will result in low performance on less capable machines.

I am going to judge whether or not I get any/much better look for the larger textures and as it stands I will probably shrink them anyway because there doesnt seem to be much gain for the size.
That said, didnt someone say we wanted to push the limit here? That this wasnt going to run well on older/not very good machines? Either way, any computer today with a basic video card is not going to have trouble with 1024 textures and some 2048 textures(I dont think there would be any problem wth the larger size either but cant say that for sure), thinking it will is a huge misconception. The only problem with having large textures is that bug where if the textures are all 1024 and larger it sometimes fails to load any of them.
Anyway, I wont be going to try and max out all my textures, but I plan on having a few of them large. Most of the ones I made for the gold coast buildings are 1024 or less in size with just a couple that are larger.

Edit: I have decided to look for rough edge tutorials, so if anyone can point me to a good one of those thats also nice.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 04 Jun 2011, 12:35

As someone with a slightly older and 'less capable' computer, I'm actually with Tarius here. My machine struggles a bit with the latest MGE revs, but I'm pretty sure texture size isn't a major issue. Low-res textures tend to look really awful when you look at them up close; IMO it's better to sacrifice a few FPS for increased quality.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 04 Jun 2011, 14:51

I'm just saying that most games, even modern ones, don't use resolutions over 1024 pixels-and even the ones that do (such as the new ID Tech engine with megatextures) are properly optimized to use them. Even then I'm guessing the visible resolution (or "pixel density" if that's an actual term) will still probably be around 1024.

So basically I'm sort of compromising a bit here saying that the average texture size can also be 1024 but it should also probably be our maximum as well. Smaller objects of course should be around 256-512 pixels-it obviously depends on how closely we expect the player to be able to look at it.

2048 can be used for texture creation and editing because it's always good to start with a higher resolution source obviously.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jun 2011, 16:20

My thing is less about performance and more about not wanting our final file to be absolutely huge. Also 1024 is plenty large enough for textures as DJ says above. Just for some perspective, our Data is already nearly as large if not larger than TR's Data. This is with things optimized for only one region. If we use giant textures and all the resources needed for the region the end file will be massive.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 06 Jun 2011, 23:58

Because I am OC sometimes and because I am sick and didnt care for anything complicated or new, I went ahead and played around with the seams.
Dont think there should be any problems with this one.
Attachments
after3.jpg
The final
after3.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 8862 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Jun 2011, 02:23

You are correct sir. Very natural looking now. Good work!
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 07 Jun 2011, 02:57

:cheery:

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Jun 2011, 13:22

:applause:

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 07 Jun 2011, 19:03

Yeah, the seams look way better now. Great work!

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 12 Jun 2011, 06:31

And here we have the first fully finished Ayleid exterior structure.(save for vertex coloring)

Others should go a bit faster since I now have most of the needed textures.(this thing took a long time to UV tho)(still have a couple more textures to do)
Attachments
firstfinished.jpg
Its done!
firstfinished.jpg (62.38 KiB) Viewed 8837 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Jun 2011, 06:54

Looks great Tarius.
Project Coordinator

Next

Return to Dungeon & Common