We are going to have to make a decision here...

Tile-Sets for locations not specific to any major towns or cities.
Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 02 Nov 2011, 04:09

Alright, so I started messing with Ayleid interior hall meshes and need to make a decision on something.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/ayhallrgh1.jpg
The rough part of the Ayleid hall, do we want it?
It always struck me as kinda odd considering they had nice smooth stone blocks everywhere else. I dont think it looks that terrible or anything, it just strikes me as odd considering how everything else looks.

So, is there a lore reason for it?
If no lore reason, do we want to keep it like that?
or replace it instead with more stone blocks?

I will do either. As always, could come back and make both, but I dont think both are really needed right now.

(DJ, why do we not have polls here?)
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
DJGamer
Mad God
 
Posts: 881
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 01:55
Location: The Shivering Isles

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby DJGamer » 02 Nov 2011, 07:25

Tarius wrote:Alright, so I started messing with Ayleid interior hall meshes and need to make a decision on something.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/ayhallrgh1.jpg
The rough part of the Ayleid hall, do we want it?
It always struck me as kinda odd considering they had nice smooth stone blocks everywhere else. I dont think it looks that terrible or anything, it just strikes me as odd considering how everything else looks.

So, is there a lore reason for it?
If no lore reason, do we want to keep it like that?
or replace it instead with more stone blocks?

I will do either. As always, could come back and make both, but I dont think both are really needed right now.

(DJ, why do we not have polls here?)


I think because I need to deliberately activate them or something. Either that or this forum didn't strike me as a place that would require polls-and actually it kind of still doesn't. At this point in time we have a small enough team that we can all discuss a decision without having to worry about having to read through the individual opinions of dozens of people. While we're still at this stage I'd like to encourage people to speak their minds rather than just clicking Option A or Option B-plus if someone makes a convincing argument for something it could mean that a person who voted for Option A has been persuaded that Option B is better and I don't believe anyone can change their vote after its been made.

As for me, it's late and I'm not sure I've read your post properly. I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. I'm a bit tired, I just wanted to address the issue of why there isn't a polling option in certain forums.
Image

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2011, 12:28

Could you do this one piece in the stone block style Tarius? That way there is something to see rather than a decision made when we can't compare anything.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 02 Nov 2011, 18:36

DJGamer wrote:
Tarius wrote:Alright, so I started messing with Ayleid interior hall meshes and need to make a decision on something.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/ayhallrgh1.jpg
The rough part of the Ayleid hall, do we want it?
It always struck me as kinda odd considering they had nice smooth stone blocks everywhere else. I dont think it looks that terrible or anything, it just strikes me as odd considering how everything else looks.

So, is there a lore reason for it?
If no lore reason, do we want to keep it like that?
or replace it instead with more stone blocks?

I will do either. As always, could come back and make both, but I dont think both are really needed right now.

(DJ, why do we not have polls here?)


I think because I need to deliberately activate them or something. Either that or this forum didn't strike me as a place that would require polls-and actually it kind of still doesn't. At this point in time we have a small enough team that we can all discuss a decision without having to worry about having to read through the individual opinions of dozens of people. While we're still at this stage I'd like to encourage people to speak their minds rather than just clicking Option A or Option B-plus if someone makes a convincing argument for something it could mean that a person who voted for Option A has been persuaded that Option B is better and I don't believe anyone can change their vote after its been made.

As for me, it's late and I'm not sure I've read your post properly. I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. I'm a bit tired, I just wanted to address the issue of why there isn't a polling option in certain forums.

So what was the point of this post than?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
DJGamer
Mad God
 
Posts: 881
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 01:55
Location: The Shivering Isles

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby DJGamer » 02 Nov 2011, 20:53

I read your post a little more carefully.

I get the impression that maybe the ceiling caved in at some point so you see the raw cave wall above. I would assume it would be combined with some clutter that would further suggest that. I wouldn't assume they made tiles looking like that without a reason behind it.

I want to try and restate why I don't currently have the poll option available point-by-point.

  • If we have a poll, it means people wouldn't need to state and/or explain their opinions.
  • Polls would be limited to a certain number of options, sometimes leaving out potential middle-grounds.
  • Someone might make a convincing argument for a particular option and someone might want to change their vote but be unable to.
  • As our team expands, of course, proper discussion of decisions may become less practical at which point I'll give stronger consideration to allowing polls in more forums.
Image

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 02 Nov 2011, 21:17

DJGamer wrote:I read your post a little more carefully.

I get the impression that maybe the ceiling caved in at some point so you see the raw cave wall above. I would assume it would be combined with some clutter that would further suggest that. I wouldn't assume they made tiles looking like that without a reason behind it.

I want to try and restate why I don't currently have the poll option available point-by-point.

  • If we have a poll, it means people wouldn't need to state and/or explain their opinions.
  • Polls would be limited to a certain number of options, sometimes leaving out potential middle-grounds.
  • Someone might make a convincing argument for a particular option and someone might want to change their vote but be unable to.
  • As our team expands, of course, proper discussion of decisions may become less practical at which point I'll give stronger consideration to allowing polls in more forums.

Polls only serve as an indicator.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
DJGamer
Mad God
 
Posts: 881
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 01:55
Location: The Shivering Isles

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby DJGamer » 02 Nov 2011, 21:35

Tarius wrote:Polls only serve as an indicator.


Regardless, I don't think so many critical decisions have to be made in this particular forum to warrant the use of polls.

I also personally think that this matter in-particular does not require the use of a poll.
Image

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 02 Nov 2011, 22:27

Ok, seriously guys, that part is the least important part of this thread. Drop the stupid poll banter, we don't have them currently and it doesn't really matter.

The question was about Ayleid ruins, and I asked if we could get an example of your planned improvement Tarius. Once we see what you mean we can better make a decision. It's tough to say one way or the other if we have nothing to go off of.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 02 Nov 2011, 23:15

SamirA wrote:Ok, seriously guys, that part is the least important part of this thread. Drop the stupid poll banter, we don't have them currently and it doesn't really matter.

The question was about Ayleid ruins, and I asked if we could get an example of your planned improvement Tarius. Once we see what you mean we can better make a decision. It's tough to say one way or the other if we have nothing to go off of.

The mesh is made. Just have to UV it now. I will post a picture either tonight or tommorow.

Well I wouldnt call it really an improvement, more a style change.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 03 Nov 2011, 00:02

Sounds good, your point on why they are in such a condition in Oblivion is a valid one as well. A slight change is probably a nice idea since we aren't Oblivion anyway, but I still want to see it first before subscribing.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 05 Nov 2011, 04:57

Alright, after a day delay, the sample is coming. Just gotta finish UVing part of it.(took a day to clean about 2 years worth of dust and metal/plastic particles off a table in my room, among other things)
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 05 Nov 2011, 13:57

Haha, yay for progress on all fronts Tarius.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 06 Nov 2011, 00:38

Here is your sample.
Attachments
newhall.jpg
newhall.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 06 Nov 2011, 06:09

Hmm, could we get a more solid texture for the top wall part? Like just a solid block of limestone or whatever that is rather than the blocks? I think it is too repetitive with the same look on top and bottom so right now my vote would be for the original style, but I think with a different texture this updated style might be the way to go.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 06 Nov 2011, 06:10

SamirA wrote:Hmm, could we get a more solid texture for the top wall part? Like just a solid block of limestone or whatever that is rather than the blocks? I think it is too repetitive with the same look on top and bottom so right now my vote would be for the original style, but I think with a different texture this updated style might be the way to go.

Which top wall part?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 06 Nov 2011, 06:16

The rounded bit, there are essentially two levels of wall, the lower side which is narrower, and the top part above the widened space that comes to a point. The top part, which was shown as rough cavern on the old version is now smooth and made of the same blocks as the bottom. I like the design,but the texture is the same as the bottom and I think a solid block of limestone rather than several small block would be better, perhaps even a piece or two with some fresco type designes on them (added onto the large block once a design is set) would add some variety and a cleanliness to the set that you would expect from magically gifted Mer that dominated the Imperial race for so long.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 06 Nov 2011, 18:28

Actually the top and bottom parts are different textures, they just look similiar.

Compared:
Attachments
ayhall1.jpg
ayhall1.jpg (101.33 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
ayhall2.jpg
ayhall2.jpg (99.55 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 07 Nov 2011, 03:50

Hmm, perhaps the other option is better. I would like to hear some input from someone else, but I am leaning towards your first new style.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 04:46

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby Tarius » 07 Nov 2011, 04:30

SamirA wrote:Hmm, perhaps the other option is better. I would like to hear some input from someone else, but I am leaning towards your first new style.

The other thing I was thinking was instead to make the top area have a texture that is just 5 stacked single horizontal blocks rather than 3 sets of 5 stacked blocks like it is currently.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

User avatar
SamirA
P:C Coordinator
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 16:35
Location: Some interior in Tamriel

Re: We are going to have to make a decision here...

Postby SamirA » 07 Nov 2011, 05:30

That might work.
Project Coordinator

Next

Return to Dungeon & Common



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron